Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This will be something that is more an more common, already is, as time goes on.

I'll use this thread to:
1 - track what category of bikes seem to have the issue - seems obvious the oldest bikes will have this first but maybe not.
2 - track the symptoms (FI codes) and trouble shooting steps before taking the big step towards a new ECM
3 - Discuss possible workarounds.

Also, no one here is an expert in spite of what they may think and a forum exists to discuss subjects and collaborate on those subjects. Anyone that does not adhere to that level of collaborative respect will be banned from this thread and possibly more.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as we move forward.

Symptoms:
- FI Code 26 - Right Knock Sensor - this is the code most will get and sometimes it is the sensor.
- Other FI codes have also appeared but 26 is the is the common one
- Reduced gas mileage, more heat.

Troubleshooting/Causes:
- HERE is a link for checking and resetting the code
- FI Code 26 - Right Knock Sensor - this is the code most will get and sometimes it is the sensor.
- The Honda 070MZ-MCA0100 ECM, Test Harness currently goes for over $2000 and there's probably other proprietary software you can't get unless you're a dealer
- Some have said the ECM fails due to age, heat, moisture, vibrations, etc... basically external environmental affects.

Solutions/Workarounds:
- Repair or Refurbish options - The ECM is sealed therefore not typically something serviceable.
- Replacement ECMs are currently anywhere from $600 to $1300 new, cheaper on ebay but you don't know the history and impossible to check if it has issues. Also, pre 2008 ECMs are tough to find.
- 2008 and newer ECM Part number - 38770-MCS-R12
- 2002 thru 2007 ECM Part number - 38770-MCS-L01 - Police version (38770-MCS-A31) will have a 120mph speed limiter
- A member noticed: "The only time it flags a light is when I push it over 4000 rpm in high gear. It kicks the timing back as soon as it flags the light, and that brings more heat and poorer mileage. Anything below that rpm in high gear and its fine. I can run it up red line through the rest of the gears, no problem."
- Manufacturers typically have to keep making replacement parts for 10 years after the last model - not sure how stringent that is but could be a big issue in a few more years as parts become more rare.
- It may be impossible for a company to create a replacement ECM or some type of bypass to fool the ECM into thinking all is ok as the market is a small one and the development effort will probably never be met.
- It's also possible the code 26... might be an electrical short and an accurate code, however that short may be what takes out the ECM. The knock sensors are close to the exhaust headers and the wire insulation doesn't last long in those areas, check yours as it may just crumble... perhaps some heat tape in that area will be a preventative maintenance issue?
- Also one possibility is some wire that has nothing to do with the knock sensor corrodes and grounds/shorts out and the knock sensor portion of the ECM is just the weakest path and that kills the ECM so the knock sensor could be a false indication of what is happening.

Last edited:
New owner of a non ABS model 2003. There was a mention of accessories being a potential cause or contributing factor of ECU failures in another thread. While I’m concerned my new-to-me bike may develop an issue, I’d also like to know if not adding lights, cruise control, etc could be a preventative measure. Would adding a box to the survey asking if the bike has had any aftermarket accessories installed be of value? Thanks.

v8-7

Site Supporter
There are several stand alone computer options that would work .
I think a microsquirt or a megasquirt would be a good low cost option option .
That said, I did pick up a spare ecu a few tears back just in case .
I think I had to buy 3 because the first 2 I bought did not work.

They may not be legal in your state . Many states do not test motorcycles .
I put one on my 1985 rx-7 and it works well. I can tune , monitor and log everything related to fuel and timing based on a variety of factors including throttle position, manifold air pressure , engine and intake air temperature , rpm, etc,
I think the wiring is all there just have to match the computer inputs to the proper sensors .

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
i would add options for bikes without a failure as well to get an idea of the odds of failure .
I don't feel that matters... We can assume ALL of them have not failed and not everyone that has an ST1300 is on this site so the ratio isn't accurate.

I feel all that matters is which ones have failed and if that number is increasing as the years go on.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wonder... we do have a wire diagram for the ST1300... maybe that is enough...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Has anyone thought about trying to use an ECU from a crosstour or CTX?
While I know next to nothing about electrical stuff, perhaps some of our electrical guru's may be able to splice and adapted something?
What ever happened to the company who was asking to cut open some of the failed ones in an attempt to fix them?
Thanks for posting this thread Mellow.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
This would be the exact route I would go with if my ECM went bad. I played around with megasquirt on a turbocharged mustang 10 years ago. It did not require a steep learning curve to get going. I can only imagine it would be easier now.

I put one on my 1985 rx-7 and it works well. I can tune , monitor and log everything related to fuel and timing based on a variety of factors including throttle position, manifold air pressure , engine and intake air temperature , rpm, etc,
I think the wiring is all there just have to match the computer inputs to the proper sensors .

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Has anyone thought about trying to use an ECU from a crosstour or CTX?
While I know next to nothing about electrical stuff, perhaps some of our electrical guru's may be able to splice and adapted something?
What ever happened to the company who was asking to cut open some of the failed ones in an attempt to fix them?
Thanks for posting this thread Mellow.
Interesting but the only problem is that bike was even less popular that the ST.. and the ECMs are just as expensive...they stopped that bike in 2014 ..

v8-7

Site Supporter

I sent him a code 25 ecu and the wiring diagrams , He tried but gave up ..

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Start at post #26 for possible experimentation.

Last edited by a moderator:

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Some company in the Netherlands/Holland seems to fix these things…
Stu
Common error(s):
Fi code 25 left knock sensor - Unfortunately we cannot repair this error
Fi code 26 right knock sensor - Unfortunately we cannot repair this error
We are able to copy keycodes if needed to other (second-hand) ECU

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I don't feel that matters... We can assume ALL of them have not failed and not everyone that has an ST1300 is on this site so the ratio isn't accurate.

I feel all that matters is which ones have failed and if that number is increasing as the years go on.

Maybe a separate poll, but would be interested to know how many were able to fix the code condition without replacing the ECU and what was the fix.

And how long the code stayed away after the fix.....

After flashing the code on mine, it stayed away for a good while before checking back in.

Was lucky AZ Larry found a replacement for me online back then.

My old timer mechanic is well connected with Honda and asked them about the ECU when he started seeing his ST customers coming in with the code. They said they were aware of it but had no plans to work on it (but that was 2 years ago).

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

I sent him a code 25 ecu and the wiring diagrams , He tried but gave up ..
The EU and OZ ST Forums have tried to source repair facilities as well but never did find one.

Wondering if the failed function is buried into an IC and not fixable without replacing the (not available) IC.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The EU and OZ ST Forums have tried to source repair facilities as well but never did find one.

Wondering if the failed function is buried into an IC and not fixable without replacing the (not available) IC.
Yeah... when the ST1300 was in production lots of components were sealed in epoxy type resin as they felt they'd never fail and it was the best way to keep moisture out of an electronic component.

ECMs now have heat sinks and circuit boards and as soon as some new vehicle is announced there's a company that will flash your ECM and change many settings.

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Common error(s):
Fi code 25 left knock sensor - Unfortunately we cannot repair this error
Fi code 26 right knock sensor - Unfortunately we cannot repair this error
We are able to copy keycodes if needed to other (second-hand) ECU
Sorry….!
Never check a good story! says the local newspaper editor…

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just so folks know, I have been able to correct the knock sensor codes on some bikes, because it was not the ECU that was dying, but melted wires, weak batteries, and other electrical gremlins.
So just before you panic and assume you will need a ECU the moment the light comes on, check and eliminate all the other obvious stuff first.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Sounds like it could soon be our only option.

Would be OK in my county where they only check brakes, lights and horn on MCs.

How big are these units: would it still fit behind the seat?

Would we have to duplicate the ST mapping (if we can get it) or are there enough default settings to play with?

Yvan (if that's what his name was) spent a lot of time on the ECU trying to eliminate the fuel cutting and might be able to help on setting such computer up (maybe with inclusion of fuel cut elimination as well!).

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sounds like it could soon be our only option.

Would be OK in my county where they only check brakes, lights and horn on MCs.

How big are these units: would it still fit behind the seat?

Would we have to duplicate the ST mapping (if we can get it) or are there enough default settings to play with?

Yvan (if that's what his name was) spent a lot of time on the ECU trying to eliminate the fuel cutting and might be able to help on setting such computer up (maybe with inclusion of fuel cut elimination as well!).
He doesn't list any Honda products:

Top Bottom