Electric Cruise Control for ST1300

I am a new member and have been told that an electric cruise control (made by audiovox) can be wired into the bike. Can anyone tell me a) the exact parts to purchase and where.... AutoZone? Pep Boys?...... and b)provide detailed instructions on how to wire it in? I have done a good deal of automobile wiring so I'm not entirely ignorant but could use some coaching. Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Napa, CA
2004 ST1300

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I too am a new ST owner. The photos for the audiovox install mentioned above are awesome. Is there another electronic cruise control option that can be integrated into the dash or one that requires less cutting and soldering.....I just got my wife to approve the bike purchase....if she sees me with the whole thing taken apart and my soldering iron out....my new bike will be on ebay within seconds......is there a Goldwing cruise module that is more of a plug and play type setup that could be used? thanks for the help, I have so much to learn!

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Cutting and soldering isn't required. The kit comes with connectors that fit over the wires. I just felt more comfortable soldering.

I believe the McCruise requires no cutting or splicing just unplug and plug. It costs around $500 or so but it even comes with a bracket for the switches.

Ray

I installed the audiovox using the above link. Very helpful, and no longer than a day project. Most of it was figuring out where all the fastners were for the fainrings. A good time to do some cleaning. I highly recommend the audivox setup. I got mine from summit racing for about $80. plus the pvc and check valve.

get her to help

emshaferii said:
I too am a new ST owner. The photos for the audiovox install mentioned above are awesome. Is there another electronic cruise control option that can be integrated into the dash or one that requires less cutting and soldering.....I just got my wife to approve the bike purchase....if she sees me with the whole thing taken apart and my soldering iron out....my new bike will be on ebay within seconds......is there a Goldwing cruise module that is more of a plug and play type setup that could be used? thanks for the help, I have so much to learn!

Farkle #1: back rest for the wife #1: different seat

Thing to do #2: get her to take a MSF riders course - who knows what might happen if you break a leg out in the wilderness and she has to "pilot".

$3: Get her own bike so you can do what ever you want with yours!!!!

Cheers.

Getting her to help will cut down on the $'s for maintenance and get her to appreciate what it takes to keep up the STeed. (time and money)...no bike is buy, drive, never change, ....maybe a 250cc dirt bike....

Get her to sit down with you and go thru this forum...it will help her understand the relationship between a bike owner and the bike.

Byron

STOC #
If you don't want to tap into any of the stock wiring you can do what I did. I ordered connectors and crimper from the Electrical Connection and built the necessary adapters to make it plug and play like the McCruise for a lot less. It wasn't hard just took a little longer. It the unit ever needs to be removed for any reason I just need to take the adapters out and plug the connector back together like they were before I started. Clean with no tell tale signs of it being there. You'll also want to pick up some dielectric grease for the connections.

Last edited:

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
Audiovox CSS-100 Cruise Control

ckmilcop said:
Can anyone tell me a) the exact parts to purchase and where....
For what t's worth Chuck I found one at http://brandsplace.stores.yahoo.net/0002-ccs100.html for $80.95. Don't know anything about Brands Place so you're on your own if you want to use them. I think the rest of your questions have been answered by others in this thread.

just got mine from brands place no problems shipped quickly but after i had placed the order i saw amazon had them for $0.05 less.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Are all these waterproof? I was concerned about the impact of a rainstorm on my bike (I was thinking about the push button box itself not the wires that are cut and reattached)

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
emshaferii said:
Are all these waterproof? I was concerned about the impact of a rainstorm on my bike (I was thinking about the push button box itself not the wires that are cut and reattached)
I can't speak for the Audiovox, but the McCruise was fine through all the winter rains and rides. Rain is not an issue for the cruise control, just the rider... :D

Bike
ST1300
On the way home from the Honda Hoot, I used the Audiovox CC-100 quite a bit. It worked fine in the flats, but I noticed that it was having difficulty maintaining speed going up some of the steeper grades at highway speeds. I attribute this to me removing the vacuum canister previously installed with the unit. I removed the canister to make room for a Steble air horn. I will probably reinstall the canister once I figure out a new spot. The trip also involved some intermitent rain through out the 10 hour period with the control panel getting wet and I did not experience any malfunctions. I also opened up my inner cowls with 2" holes, so I believe that the servo also must have gotten wet. I used silicone sealer to waterproof the control panel to prevent water from getting into the switches.

Slider13 :04biker:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
emshaferii said:
I wasn't sure so I took the switch panel apart and sealed it with some non-corroding RTV silicone. So far washing the bike or riding it in rain has not caused any problems. The servo is well protected under the faring.

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
Anyone have a control switch for the Audiovox CCS-100? Sure would like to be able to just buy the switch vs.the complete kit.

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
The CCS-100 control module needs to be popped apart and sealed in order to be waterproof. Took me about 5 minutes.

BTW, call your local Autozone and see if they are going to do another sale on them. I have seen them at various Autozones for $50 and $35 - I got mine for $15.

Fred :03biker:

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
Click on the link above (post #11.) There`s a small picture and the dash mount is just about center. Small rectangle part w/2 small rocker switches.

Free

don said:
Click on the link above (post #11.) There`s a small picture and the dash mount is just about center. Small rectangle part w/2 small rocker switches.

Free
Oh that thing, I thought there was something different that I might want to add to my farkle list.

Top Bottom