Electric Windshield OUCH!!!

STOC #
Tried to swap sides of with the cables and hard guides. No success. However, I wouldn't rule out being able to do this. When I was almost done, it hit me I should have pulled out the inner cable from the guides and switched sides. This would have avoided what I had to do by bending down the metal tabs on the end which mounts on the slide rail. I belive you will still have to cut off the guides and re-mount them to the other inner guide. I used an aluminum crimp block which I had to grind down to fit.

STOC #
I belive I stripped my assembly because I put on the spacers to move my windscreen out. This put pressure on the guides because I had to move the assembly out to fit the windscreen.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have a brand new, in the box, never seen the light of day gear assembly. I'll take it apart and have the gear digitized, send that info to my friend who owns a machine shop and see what he can do for us. He is part owner in a processing shop, maybe he can also apply a dry film lubricant.

I also know a casting house that would be interested in something new. If anyone wants to send me the bad gear, he'll have it tested and maybe he can come up with a better mouse trap.

This is going to take a little while, but, I think we'll find a solution.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Tony.. Bob.. send that gear to Tony looks like he's got some good contacts.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Tony.. Bob.. send that gear to Tony looks like he's got some good contacts.
No problem, the fact is that if I didn't see this thread, I would have installed the assembly without even thinking about making sure there was at least some sort of lubrication on the wear surfaces.

If someone else feels that we need to upgrade any of the details, I can have them re-engineered better.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
I have a brand new, in the box, never seen the light of day gear assembly. I'll take it apart and have the gear digitized, send that info to my friend who owns a machine shop and see what he can do for us. He is part owner in a processing shop, maybe he can also apply a dry film lubricant.

I also know a casting house that would be interested in something new. If anyone wants to send me the bad gear, he'll have it tested and maybe he can come up with a better mouse trap.

This is going to take a little while, but, I think we'll find a solution.
Stony,

PM me your addy & I'll ship the worn gear to ya.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
No problem, the fact is that if I didn't see this thread, I would have installed the assembly without even thinking about making sure there was at least some sort of lubrication on the wear surfaces.

If someone else feels that we need to upgrade any of the details, I can have them re-engineered better.
I would think increasing the drive gear diameter to compensate for the worn cables would be advantageous.

I would rather see them machined than cast, as the gears that have worn on me in the past were cast.

Just my .02

Texas

This looks like a preventative maintenance item. I think I'll bite the bullet and take mine apart when I get it out of storage, and lube the cables and gearset. Maybe rotating the cable guts will help.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Just quick update...

I received the gear last week and here is where we stand,
  1. It appears that the gear is not a casting, but powdered metal. Powdered metal gears are cheaper to manufacture, no or very little machining is required. The gear I received from Bob has not been machined. The part cost is very small, the tooling is expensive.
  2. The gear is being digitized as I type.
  3. I can have it machined. The cost will not be in the fabricating of the part, but in the programming. I'm asking my friend what the cost would be for 25, 50, 100 & 200 units.

Bob,
Now that I have the gear, can you please send me a picture of the drive gear? I'm looking to see how this is attached to the motor.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Twisted Stainless cable is available in many sizes at marine supply houses.....sailboat rigging uses a lot of this stuff.

Forest

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Just quick update...

I received the gear last week and here is where we stand,
  1. It appears that the gear is not a casting, but powdered metal. Powdered metal gears are cheaper to manufacture, no or very little machining is required. The gear I received from Bob has not been machined. The part cost is very small, the tooling is expensive.
  2. The gear is being digitized as I type.
  3. I can have it machined. The cost will not be in the fabricating of the part, but in the programming. I'm asking my friend what the cost would be for 25, 50, 100 & 200 units.

Bob,
Now that I have the gear, can you please send me a picture of the drive gear? I'm looking to see how this is attached to the motor.
Tony,

Glad you received the gear. Check post #16 of this thread to see pictures I posted of that gear with the drive motor & windshield assy.

Keep us posted.

mercedesman

You guys have done some really great work so far. If I might add, casting the drive gear out of silicon bronze may be the best solution, much better than pot metal or powdered metal. I think stainless will be too difficult to work with. Delrin may be a solution too, but I think bronze will hold up better in the long run.

The problem I have with mine, new bike to me - a 2003 1300A, is the sliders are not aligned. One side is higher than the other such that it bottoms out on the high setting before the other side hits the limit switch. As it looks in those excellent pictures, there may be a way to align the high side if I take it apart and re-assemble the cables.

I'm still getting used to this forum, I searched for threads like this one but missed.

Mike

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
After a long search, I have found a machine shop that can duplicate the drive gear as designed. I'll have prices and delivery available be the end of next week.

I know of about 6 gears that will need to be replaced, are there any more out there? I'm trying to get economy of scale prices from him.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Well depending on the price I might just order one to keep on hand "just in case".

Bike
st1300
STOC #
After a long search, I have found a machine shop that can duplicate the drive gear as designed. I'll have prices and delivery available be the end of next week.

I know of about 6 gears that will need to be replaced, are there any more out there? I'm trying to get economy of scale prices from him.
I will take one.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I'll be needing one. I've been stuck in the down position since summer. However, as I'm currently "out of the workforce", I don't know when I'll be in a position to get it. :no1:.

Top Bottom