Electrical Harness routing through bike.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi everyone,
Please could anyone help me with the routing the main electrical harness follows through the Bike. I have gave up on last project due to the cost serious battery size miscalculation ( EV conversation) and desided to reinstate my orignal 2002 st1300 back to normal. If anyone has any photos or the like , it would be really appricated.

i have tried a few time to this , working back to the front . but i am not happy with what i have done , and keep starting again. I have looked through my manuals , with No joy !!

Thanks in advance guys.

Regards

Tony

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi Tony. I was wondering how you were doing !
That's a shame, but it was a gutsy project.

Cable routing - you can pick up much of it from the section labelled Cable Routing - chapter 1 in the service manual. You have to put the bits and pieces together from the different views, but most of them are shown at least in part.

There is also the microfiche diagrams which show the full harness with no frame so you get an idea of which branch goes where. I have a better quality image of that - I'll dig out what I have. I'm happy to go delving as best I can - do you still have my number ?

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi John ,

Nice to hear from you mate , hope you and the wife are well. :) .

I do still have the lever arched file you gave me, but there is nothing that i find that shows me the exact cable route to follow.

The EV project !!!!! o_O , The theory / storey behind this is , I had everything sorted for be fully electric. The issue that got me in the end was, the size of Nissan Leaf batteries I was using. i Seriousely got my maths wrong. I bought seven batteries , and tried to fit them. I then realised , that I really needed to fit 14 , so the range at best was only going to 80 to 100 miles. My target was 300 !!!

At the moment the technology in the EV batteries is just not there, The sizes currently is just not practical. In a few years I may try again , once the battery technology progresses /evolves.

Until then I restoring the ole grey number I have. The bike I brought down to you some years ago when you helped learn about the issues and how to correct the problem i had with the rear brake and the 7 seven bleeding system. :thumb:

That only seems like the other day to me ...... How time flys John.

looking forward to see what the Microfiche shows and see if it points me the right direction.

Thanks again john.:):):):):):):)

p.s. .... did you ever fit that Nautalus horn i got you ?

regards

tony

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
THis is the one to which I was referring - I've sent it as a Private Message as it is a lift from a Honda document, so not really for publishing on Joe's website - It is 5x larger than this reduced version and is crystal clear. I think it is USA 2003-2004.

1709718948030.png

The other diagrams are the ones like this

1709719303784.png

Every now and then when I'm feeling that I can't concentrate on anything, I get out my colouring book and brushes, stick my tongue out of the corner of my mouth and do a bit of colouring in.

There is no single diagram for the harness - but you can always spot it in most diagrams - its in the general section chapter 1 from about Page 1-28 onwards - if the one I gave you was the one that I have as a pdf file. I think it will be. It is the cable that shown as spiral wound - in the above diagram it is labelled and shown crossing over the lower fuel tank.
And that gives a clue. Most of it is easily accessible, and it has to have been fitted after the lower fuel tank. It goes to the rear on the right hand side of the bike, crosses the fuel tank and goes up the spar under the upper fuel tank. You can see the 'lined' cable. I think that is the only one that they illustrate with those wide cross hatching - so the main harness is easy to spot in the other diagrams.

PM me your email address - I have a few things that you will find handy - including all of the microfiche images put together in a pdf with all of those linked arrows eg --> E35 hyperlinked to the appropriate page. So it is is easy to flick from one diagram to the fitted part shown on another diagram. And back again. It is too big to send as an attachment, but I could use one of those drop off and pick up sites. But it can't be this week. I've no time left. I've removed the part numbers though. But I also have the Parts Catalogue for the 2003/2004 models. Found that online somewhere. I don't use that nearly as much as the interactive pdf version that I made from it though.

And yes - thank you for the horn - I did say, but it took me a while before I fitted it, that was a brilliant surprise. The horn was fitted - in more or less the same place as the original. I had to change the angle of the supporting bracket and although securely bolted - it is only one bolt - so it has a couple of thick cable ties to stop it wandering. The problem was getting that extra bulk between the inner and outer faring. But it fits beautifully, and has its own chunky power cable and relay operated by the original horn button. I'm not someone to just throw in an extra cable - I hate the mess. I have one single additional connection to the battery all nicely protected and fused to feed my hron and ancilliary equipment - through 2 relays (Ign & acc) and distribution fuses.

VERY effective - although I think it makes me jump more than anyone else, nearly everytime I use it - which isn't very often which is why it catches me out. But it has proved invaluable on motorways for alerting the driver that doesn't do a shoulder check before moving out - ie most of them, far too many times. They get back into line pretty quickly "where the hell did that come from ?"
"Right where I was sir - where you were supposed to have checked".

Check your PM. Post me a very brief reply in a couple of days so that I pick it up when I get back to remind me.

I just had to do this and it's a PITA! I had to remove the rear tire, the battery, the shock, the rear fender and the lower fuel tank to be able to route the wires properly. That big bundle of fuses and relays were the problem... they wouldn't pass between the rear fender and the lower gas tank. It took all of one day to pull the wiring and another full day to install the new one. Getting the lower fuel tank out is a real puzzle and getting it back in is even more fun!

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
THis is the one to which I was referring - I've sent it as a Private Message as it is a lift from a Honda document, so not really for publishing on Joe's website - It is 5x larger than this reduced version and is crystal clear. I think it is USA 2003-2004.

1709718948030.png

The other diagrams are the ones like this

1709719303784.png

Every now and then when I'm feeling that I can't concentrate on anything, I get out my colouring book and brushes, stick my tongue out of the corner of my mouth and do a bit of colouring in.

There is no single diagram for the harness - but you can always spot it in most diagrams - its in the general section chapter 1 from about Page 1-28 onwards - if the one I gave you was the one that I have as a pdf file. I think it will be. It is the cable that shown as spiral wound - in the above diagram it is labelled and shown crossing over the lower fuel tank.
And that gives a clue. Most of it is easily accessible, and it has to have been fitted after the lower fuel tank. It goes to the rear on the right hand side of the bike, crosses the fuel tank and goes up the spar under the upper fuel tank. You can see the 'lined' cable. I think that is the only one that they illustrate with those wide cross hatching - so the main harness is easy to spot in the other diagrams.

PM me your email address - I have a few things that you will find handy - including all of the microfiche images put together in a pdf with all of those linked arrows eg --> E35 hyperlinked to the appropriate page. So it is is easy to flick from one diagram to the fitted part shown on another diagram. And back again. It is too big to send as an attachment, but I could use one of those drop off and pick up sites. But it can't be this week. I've no time left. I've removed the part numbers though. But I also have the Parts Catalogue for the 2003/2004 models. Found that online somewhere. I don't use that nearly as much as the interactive pdf version that I made from it though.

And yes - thank you for the horn - I did say, but it took me a while before I fitted it, that was a brilliant surprise. The horn was fitted - in more or less the same place as the original. I had to change the angle of the supporting bracket and although securely bolted - it is only one bolt - so it has a couple of thick cable ties to stop it wandering. The problem was getting that extra bulk between the inner and outer faring. But it fits beautifully, and has its own chunky power cable and relay operated by the original horn button. I'm not someone to just throw in an extra cable - I hate the mess. I have one single additional connection to the battery all nicely protected and fused to feed my hron and ancilliary equipment - through 2 relays (Ign & acc) and distribution fuses.

VERY effective - although I think it makes me jump more than anyone else, nearly everytime I use it - which isn't very often which is why it catches me out. But it has proved invaluable on motorways for alerting the driver that doesn't do a shoulder check before moving out - ie most of them, far too many times. They get back into line pretty quickly "where the hell did that come from ?"
"Right where I was sir - where you were supposed to have checked".

Check your PM. Post me a very brief reply in a couple of days so that I pick it up when I get back to remind me.

Thanks John , thats a great place to start with :):thumb:

regards

Tony

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
I have my 2012 pretty ripped apart at the moment, not sure if these will help, but here are some pics... (let me know if you need something in particular
2024-03-06 11.46.24.jpg 2024-03-06 11.46.28.jpg 2024-03-06 11.46.34.jpg 2024-03-06 11.46.40.jpg 2024-03-06 11.46.49.jpg 2024-03-06 11.46.54.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.15.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.19.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.27.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.34.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.38.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.45.jpg 2024-03-06 11.47.50.jpg
Thanks Gitsum , thats perfect , exactly what i was after :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

many thanks again

Tony

Top Bottom