Electronic carb sync tool?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Searching for a Carbmate, but apparently no luck over here...

This gadget would be available though:

I do have the mechanical Cabtune, but looking for something with an accurate tachometer aboard.

Searching for a Carbmate, but apparently no luck over here...

This gadget would be available though:

I do have the mechanical Cabtune, but looking for something with an accurate tachometer aboard.

Just got my SynX a couple of weeks ago but haven’t had a chance to use it due to other higher priority jobs. Should be using it in the next day or two on my ‘08 BMW R1200GSA. Looked at the new version of the “Grok“ Harmonizer and the Digi-Sync tools and felt the SynX would be a nicer tool to have. Will post my opinon of its usefulness after I have tried it.

16B824CE-E9F3-40E6-B355-3AE53862BDFF.jpeg3319323D-5793-4583-8752-7644ED757498.jpeg

The spark counting tach should work fine, you may have to experiment a bit to find the proper setting. My 82 V45 fires a pair of spark plugs at the same time. Does the ST1100 use the same system? I think you would need to set it for 360 degrees for my V45. Check it against the bike's tachometer to see if you have it close.

edit to correct setting of the electronic tach

Last edited:
Yes, the proper name is Resonant Reed Tachometer. Pop it on top of a running motor and depending on the RPM the corresponding reed vibrates while the other remain still. You might get a few moving to some harmonic frequencies but just a little. No batteries, simple and EMP proof. I still run generators with Resonate Reed Frequency Meters on the panel that still function properly.

The spark counting tach should work fine, you may have to experiment a bit to find the proper setting. My 82 V45 fires a pair of spark plugs at the same time.
Wasted spark ignition is common on Honda motorcycles.
I'm intending to work the idle drop (-/+50rpm) for setting the carb screws as it's sensible working it on the lean side...
With 2+1/2 turns out runs nice and smooth but quite rich and stinking up the place, at <2 turns tick-over gets a little unruly and tends to raise with hot engine, hence I'm atempting to get it more precise for a real smooth running...
Plus while the Carbtune works so far, it must hang exactly vertical to work, which makes it hard to read when working on the other side of the bike...
The electronic gadget can rest on the air-filter lid...

I am using a VaccuMate AllWeather... not cheap but I found it used. Calibrated it and compared it to another VaccuMate. Has tach function that counts pulses, 3 ranges plus average and dynamic. Works great.
Another one is DigiSync, but the unit I got is defective. Others that have them say they work great.... has a tach function too, same idea.
Nothing wrong with Carbtune, they are just fine with carbs and FI..... and unless you've got a real high powered sport bike, it's just fine.

I am using a VaccuMate AllWeather... not cheap but I found it used.
Yep, 700,- are a bit of a downer, but bar-graphs and tach is the style of kit I'm looking for...
Nothing wrong with Carbtune, they are just fine with carbs and FI.....
Yes, Carbtune works pretty well, just sensitive on positioning...
Have it hanging on a IV-stand I can roll aside the bike, but if a hose is putting just a little tension on it it's out off 100% vertical, the columns tend to stuck...
Changed to longer Viton hoses already, still bit of a hustle at times...

Well, I know this is a site for ST owners but figured I would post about using my new toy, the SynX Profi Line Carb Balancer and do a little review for you guys. I finally got to use it on my BMW R1200GSA today. This thing is sensitive and was tough dialing it in. The closest I could get the Boxer dialed in was 10mbar-13mbar (about 2/10th of a PSI). I am thinking maybe the throttle cables might need replacing or the dreaded pulley cracking on the throttle body. Will pull it apart this Winter and go through the throttle bodies for wear. Tach function is almost spot on with what my GS-911 showed (off a little from the dash mounted tach)

3791CBDB-59AB-46A3-83DC-66A3BE488FC1.jpeg

Got them tacking closely at idle.

89CFAD75-5107-42ED-A244-DDE53946CA60.jpeg

In the picture below it shows some divergence at 400rpm, but overall the throttle response was more precise than this morning when I rode to coffee. Overall I am happy with the operation of the SynX. It’s a lot better than the TwinMax, which in its defense served me well for years. Pricey ? Yes. Worth it ? Yes. This is my first time using it and will get more familiar with it when I synch the R1150R’s TB’s and I might hook up my Brother’s ‘95 ST just for shots and giggles. Would be nice if they made a 6cyl model even though I hardly work on any GoldWings, K1600’s or CBX’s, but just in case one ever crosses my path......

A4B81F16-FAFB-42DC-BB74-89E358CCF9B0.jpeg

If anyone has any questions,feel free to ask.

The closest I could get the Boxer dialed in was 10mbar-13mbar (about 2/10th of a PSI).
13mbar is about 1cm/10mm Hg, and the spec for 4 cylinder bikes is generally 2cm/20mm, but you could usually do better with fine adjustment. Is the spec for twins similar, if so then you're well within spec.

Back
Top Bottom