End of my 1250 FA

Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Good day all,

Sad to say i think today was the last ride of my Suzuki 1250FA. On the way in this morning while on the expressway in to work, I think somethign popped up and whacked my crankcase. All i know is when i got on the side of the road a growing pool of oil was found under it. We pushed her off the shoulder and behind a guardrail with the steering lock on to make it a pain for anyone to move, I got a call in to my insurance company with no way to get her home yet. I am pretty sure my baby is dead.

Anyone have luck dealing with Harley davidson insurance? Its who i have, Im barely a year in to my lease on the bike. What do yall think will happen? Ive never had to deal with insurance or anythign before.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Can't say I've ever dealt with them. Heck I've never even heard of them.

Sorry to hear about the bike but I'm glad the oil didn't get all over the rear wheel and cause you to crash!

Sucky way to spend the day after your birthday!

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Can't say I've ever dealt with them. Heck I've never even heard of them.

Sorry to hear about the bike but I'm glad the oil didn't get all over the rear wheel and cause you to crash!

Sucky way to spend the day after your birthday!

Thanks, a buddy of mine got me into HD insurance as they cover gear and other stuff that standard insurance companies dont. At the basic level i have a 1k coverage on all my riding gear, Hoping they will fix my bike and not just write it off.

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Here's hoping your bike is still there and in one piece when you go to get it. I'm always nervous leaving my bike anywhere other than home, work, or within sight.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Well it was just before an overpass so we pushed it down behind a guardrail, and with the steering lock on it'll be a major pain in the ass for someone to move.

Good to hear you got safely off the road.

You need to contact your agent ... most auto insurance (liability, comprehensive, etc) doesn't cover mechanical failure. However, your policy may cover that.

Now, a [new] vehicle warranty plan may cover it, or an aftermarket vehicle service plan may cover the mechanical failure ... but it depends on the coverage you have chosen.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if "Harley Davidson" insurance covers it, since those bikes are always breaking down : )

Well it was just before an overpass so we pushed it down behind a guardrail, and with the steering lock on it'll be a major pain in the ass for someone to move.
All it takes is a couple of hefty guys to pick up the bike and put it in a pickup, van, etc ... that's how most are stolen ... quite literally, gone in 60 seconds.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Already called my insurance company first thing right after it happened. I submitted the claim for them and I'm waiting for someone to call me back now. The fun part waiting

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Big bummer, never know what kind of junk you'll find on the road ahead, almost like a mine field. I have no idea what nearly broke my big left toe when I hit it at about 40mph last week, kinda looked like a black primered 1 gal. paint can in the rearview mirror, if I hadn't had my steel toe boots it would have broke, still a bit sore a week later. Hope you can resurrect the Bandit.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You be better off if it does get stolen. That is probably covered by insurance whereas mechanical breakdown.......probably not.
That was my thought too.

When talking with your insurance agent, guide him/her to the result you want. By that, don't emphasize "mechanical" failure. Emphasize that your bike was struck by something on the road and is now damaged.

In other words, let the engine oil loss come out on its own. If the debris you hit had put a hole in the fairing, you'd be looking to fix that. Treat it the same way.

And like I said, couch your description and what you are looking for to guide them to the result you want. Insurance companies look for a way out to keep from paying.

Chris

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
My sister in law, who was a claims department manager for over 35 years , says, “ God invented lawyers to deal with insurance claims.”

Bike
2000 ST1100
Good day all,

Sad to say i think today was the last ride of my Suzuki 1250FA. On the way in this morning while on the expressway in to work, I think somethign popped up and whacked my crankcase. All i know is when i got on the side of the road a growing pool of oil was found under it. We pushed her off the shoulder and behind a guardrail with the steering lock on to make it a pain for anyone to move, I got a call in to my insurance company with no way to get her home yet. I am pretty sure my baby is dead.

Anyone have luck dealing with Harley davidson insurance? Its who i have, Im barely a year in to my lease on the bike. What do yall think will happen? Ive never had to deal with insurance or anythign before.
Never had to use my motorcycle insurance but i did have a car that was totaled. This is the time that you have to be rigid with the insurance company. Because they will low ball you. So use this time to research insurance values on your bike and don't let them wear you down. Good luck.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Big bummer, never know what kind of junk you'll find on the road ahead, almost like a mine field. I have no idea what nearly broke my big left toe when I hit it at about 40mph last week, kinda looked like a black primered 1 gal. paint can in the rearview mirror, if I hadn't had my steel toe boots it would have broke, still a bit sore a week later. Hope you can resurrect the Bandit.
Dang! be careful out there buddy:eek:

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Here's hoping your bike is still there and in one piece when you go to get it. I'm always nervous leaving my bike anywhere other than home, work, or within sight.
I had to discard a Yamaha (Yellow) beside the road once. No key, just kill switch. So I left it in a patch of yellow flowers. Like to never found it. There was yellow flowers for miles down that road.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are a number of attorney's who specialize in motorcycle issues (they give out cards at the Progressive shows). I'm sure you can find one with google. You might consider calling one, and asking what a consult for your situation would cost. Send him a copy of your policy and ask what is covered, what you should say, etc. Might be worth 50 or 60 bux - tho it depends what he/she charges.

What @Daboo said rings true to me. I've never seen a standard policy that covers mechanical failure (except extended warranties). Hitting something is more of an accident and could very well be covered - hence you need someone to read and interpret your policy.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Road hazards should be covered..
Hopefully when you inspect the damage it will be clear whether the impact was from the outside in, unless something internal let loose and the impact would be outward from the engine.. (Your message did indicate you "thought you hit something").

This is not mechanical failure - that's when a part fails, such as the driveshaft. A warranty or possibly a service contract would cover that if not excluded. Your collision insurance coverage may pay (you collided with an object) or your comprehensive would pay (that's typically what kicks in when you hit an animal). If you can find the thing you hit, all the better. A claims adjuster should look at the damage and find that it was not internal. I've done this before. Don't settle for them not wanting to cover it unless they can show you that specific exclusion in your policy.

If you don't like what you hear, tell them you will contact your state insurance commissioner to file a complaint for not dealing in good faith.

Top Bottom