engine heat

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Many including myself use rotella t6 (diesel among other things) approved oil.

One thing to steer clear of is energy conserving oil indicated on half the api round seal.
It may cause some clutch slippage.

dont_use.jpg

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Thanks, what are the benefits of running diesel oil
It isn't really "diesel" oil per se, it's just oil that happens to meet the API criteria for diesel engines as well as those for automobiles. The CalSci link that Carl posted has a lot of good information on that subject.

Some say these oils tend to do well in motorcycles because they better tolerate the extra stress the transmissions put on them. I think that's a valid point, which is one of the reasons I use one of these oils in my bike. (That, and they come in very convenient gallon jugs.)

--Mark

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I rolled up 300K miles on a 1989 Honda PC800 Pacific coast, using nothing but Delo400.
No engine issues what-so-ever. I'm now using it in my ST1300 with outstanding results.
Engine runs at lower temps, and the shifting does not turn notchy at 3K as it did with the Mobil 1 (motorcycle oil) synthetic.
And as Justytroll stated....the Heat goes away.
I rode my bike over a mountain pass yesterday, in high wind, for over 75 miles, in 2nd and 3rd gear,
and the temp never went higher than 68 degrees.
I also like Valvoline Premium Blue and Mobil Delvac 1300 (both 15-40wt commercial grade oils)
I tried the shell products several times, and never did like them as much as the other three.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Dello 400LE and Delvac 1300 are available at WalMart.

It is very subjective, as I've never put a thermometer on it, but I really think I get less heat on my legs with Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic. It's twice the price though. Always worked well for me.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Dello 400LE and Delvac 1300 are available at WalMart.

It is very subjective, as I've never put a thermometer on it, but I really think I get less heat on my legs with Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic. It's twice the price though. Always worked well for me.
Heat Gun, Radio shack, $20 bucks. Then you'll know :D

I wrapped mine and didn't feel any different. I wound up taking the wrapping off..

I've read a few postings about wrapping the exhaust headers to reduce heat and the comments that it doesn't improve the "hot bike" problem. Some say that heat from the radiator is the source of most of the heat so wrapping doesn't help. I'm an ST owner and I manage a series of engineering laboratories so this issue was of particular interest to me. I decided to try an experiment. Before I started I used a thermal imaging camera to look at the heat signature for the bike and the two console boxes. After a long ride on a hot day, I was shocked to discover the console boxes were around 172 degrees F inside! So I wrapped the right side header and kept the left header unwrapped. I also used self adhesive insulating foam mat to insulate the console box on the right side. The insulating mat was applied on the inside of the side cover such that it's not visible. As expected, the console box on the right side now only gets lukewarm to the touch compared to the left box which gets so hot it's uncomfortable to keep my fingers on the lower side of the box. I took the bike for a 200 mile ride and I have to say that there is a considerable difference in the heat from the left and right sides. The right side is now considerably cooler than the left. The right side is NOT cool, but cooler.

When I wrapped the right header I noticed something that concerned me. The right header is very close to the lower radiator hose. These header pipes can glow red hot and produce an enormous amount of radiant heat in very close proximity to that hose. While I haven't read of any lower radiator hose failures, I would think this would sufficient justification for wrapping the header on that side.

One of my concerns is that wrapping the exhaust simply pushes the heat normally dissipated in the header into the muffler and of course the catalytic converter. I don't know if that will have a negative impact on the catalytic element. Once I take the comparison thermal images I'll know how it impacts catalytic heating.

I haven't taken the second set of thermal images yet but when I do, I would be happy to post them if you're interested.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I also used self adhesive insulating foam mat to insulate the console box on the right side. The insulating mat was applied on the inside of the side cover such that it's not visible. As expected, the console box on the right side now only gets lukewarm to the touch compared to the left box which gets so hot it's uncomfortable to keep my fingers on the lower side of the box.
I'd be curious to see some pictures of this.

:worthless ;)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've read a few postings about wrapping the exhaust headers to reduce heat and the comments that it doesn't improve the "hot bike" problem. Some say that heat from the radiator is the source of most of the heat so wrapping doesn't help. I'm an ST owner and I manage a series of engineering laboratories so this issue was of particular interest to me. I decided to try an experiment. Before I started I used a thermal imaging camera to look at the heat signature for the bike and the two console boxes. After a long ride on a hot day, I was shocked to discover the console boxes were around 172 degrees F inside! So I wrapped the right side header and kept the left header unwrapped. I also used self adhesive insulating foam mat to insulate the console box on the right side. The insulating mat was applied on the inside of the side cover such that it's not visible. As expected, the console box on the right side now only gets lukewarm to the touch compared to the left box which gets so hot it's uncomfortable to keep my fingers on the lower side of the box. I took the bike for a 200 mile ride and I have to say that there is a considerable difference in the heat from the left and right sides. The right side is now considerably cooler than the left. The right side is NOT cool, but cooler.

When I wrapped the right header I noticed something that concerned me. The right header is very close to the lower radiator hose. These header pipes can glow red hot and produce an enormous amount of radiant heat in very close proximity to that hose. While I haven't read of any lower radiator hose failures, I would think this would sufficient justification for wrapping the header on that side.

One of my concerns is that wrapping the exhaust simply pushes the heat normally dissipated in the header into the muffler and of course the catalytic converter. I don't know if that will have a negative impact on the catalytic element. Once I take the comparison thermal images I'll know how it impacts catalytic heating.

I haven't taken the second set of thermal images yet but when I do, I would be happy to post them if you're interested.
I don't know if this is a wives tell or not, but I heard if you spill oil on a wrapped header, it can cause a fire. One of the reason I took it off. Now there are some (Like Byron), sent his headers off and had them coated. Can't remember coated with what, but I think that is the direction to go.

I would like to find some sort of thermal heat blanket to place under the tank and have it go under the saddle too.

Bike
BMW K1300S
I just ordered two reflective sheets in different materials that I intend to place under the seat and over the top of the air cleaner in order to reduce radiant heat on my ST1300. I ordered them from "Racer Parts Wholesale" and they are listed under heat protection and panel insulation. I'm hoping it will keep the boys from roasting when the temps reach 95+ degrees.

Mellow-"Here are some thermal images Doug did back in 2006"

Looking at those thermal images, they were taken with the bike cold and sitting in the sun. Hence the tank and upper part of the bike are warm and the lower portion of the bike are cool. The exhaust is at ambient temp.

I'll try to get the pictures posted this week.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow-"Here are some thermal images Doug did back in 2006"

Looking at those thermal images, they were taken with the bike cold and sitting in the sun. Hence the tank and upper part of the bike are warm and the lower portion of the bike are cool. The exhaust is at ambient temp.

I'll try to get the pictures posted this week.
Thanks, I was thinking he'd updated that one but I guess not.

It would be great to see similar ones w/bike running.

Bike
Versys
I noticed the heat as well; especially on days of 85 degrees and above. I removed the left side inner cowling. The right is slotted for the horn and thus allows some air to enter.
Problem solved. No further action necessary. I may replace the cowl when temps fall.

Top Bottom