Engine oil - Valvoline Premium Blue One solution Gen 2 ok?

Hey guys....I noticed but cannot find a post on Valvoline Premium Blue One solution Gen 2 for use in St1300. Any feedback on using this oil?

Thanks,

Robert

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Valvoline in my experience makes quality products, that being said, the Premium Blue Get 2 does not have a JASO MA rating so it has friction modifiers that may cause issues with a wet clutch(chattering etc.). Valvoline does make oils specifically formulated for motorcycles. If you find an oil with the JASO MA rating it should be fine.

You do realize by asking this question you have opened Pandora's box!!! LOL!!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
You must use Pandora Oil to lubricate the hinges:
1656613548396.png
I already tried that, and apparently I got the energy conserving version because now the hinges are too slippery and the lid won't stay open.

I'm looking at the Rotella spec sheet, I suspect that will work better.

Bike
2005 st1300
I thought everyone agrees that Rotella T6 is the go-to ST13 oil (?)
Many people use Rotella with no problems reported. Rotella claims that they meet the JASO standard but they are not JASO certified. The same holds true for the Valvoline that the OP mentions. At the end of the day, the only oil that is certified to be safe for a wet clutch are ones that are JASO certified.

OP
OP
Valvoline in my experience makes quality products, that being said, the Premium Blue Get 2 does not have a JASO MA rating so it has friction modifiers that may cause issues with a wet clutch(chattering etc.). Valvoline does make oils specifically formulated for motorcycles. If you find an oil with the JASO MA rating it should be fine.

You do realize by asking this question you have opened Pandora's box!!! LOL!!!
I know....but someone somewhere "here" said they use that exact brand type....

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Look guys - It's not the end of the world running a non JASO MA rated oil. Your engine won't mysteriously explode or your clutch burn out. Depending on the type or brand of oil it just makes it more likely that the anti-friction additives over time may mess with your clutch, this does not always occur. This is not an issue with clutch failures etc.. The additives can cause the clutch to chatter or squawk when accelerating away from a stop as you let out the clutch. Usually this happens during a more rapid departure but not always. I have ridden many miles with a clutch that does this and never have been stranded. Some people just get used to the chatter and learn how to avoid it. I have never seen this cause damage or hurt anything. It is surprising when you experience this chatter or squawk for the first time and don't know what it is.

Top Bottom