Engine oil - Valvoline Premium Blue One solution Gen 2 ok?

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I'll give you fairly good, not pretty good, as this stuff holds the record (UOA's that I've sent out) for the WORST oil tested in the ST's I've seen it used in ;)
A few years back, I tested it against the Safeway Generic House Brand 10w-40 auto oil, and the Safeway stuff beat it by a wide margin.
This is the oil you use when you don’t care. It just works.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'm thinking BIC lighter, verses 30 year old Zippo lighter.
I like stuff that keeps things running a long time etc.
:rofl1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The Walmart 15w50 oil is automobile oil, and from the look of your UOA its a little bit down on Zink compared to some other HDEO's.
Lots of the Harley Guys use this oil. Some report clutch slipping, others, not so much.
Several PD motors tried using it, and after a few months, started having clutch slipping issues.
If your throwing caution to the wind, and don't care, why don't you just use the 15w40 Valvoline, Delo, Supertech, or Mobil ST1300, these all STILL have the gasoline rating on them, and most of them report back with higher zinc and TBN's.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
The Walmart 15w50 oil is automobile oil, and from the look of your UOA its a little bit down on Zink compared to some other HDEO's.
Lots of the Harley Guys use this oil. Some report clutch slipping, others, not so much.
Several PD motors tried using it, and after a few months, started having clutch slipping issues.
If your throwing caution to the wind, and don't care, why don't you just use the 15w40 Valvoline, Delo, Supertech, or Mobil ST1300, these all STILL have the gasoline rating on them, and most of them report back with higher zinc and TBN's.
I thought Harleys had separate engine and clutch oil?

I don’t use walmart oil. But their super tech oil has got some good UOA reports.

I have used Mobil 1 15w-50. Auto oil. The SM variant is almost a 40 weight oil, and it has way more zinc than Valvoline which has one of the least packages similar to GN4.591513ED-49F9-4035-A5C7-1807C59FC728.jpeg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the 10w30 version?
My UOA came back with around 1270 zinc and a TBN around 11?
I wonder if its got anything to do with the Second Generation version?
Even Their spec sheet shows their ATV stuff is around the same numbers that mine came back with.
In answer to your comment about Harley's having separate compartments, they do, however, the motor company has been pushing one oil for all three, Primary, Crankcase, Transmission.
While I don't follow this BS, I have been using my Premium blue in my Primary (wet clutch) with outstanding results.
My Stroker engines used ATF in their primary because it is what the clutch mfgr's recommend for best clutch grab and release.
Have you given any thought to running 50 weight oil in your Honda that used to spec 40 weight, and now currently spec's 30 weight?
Slow thick oil does not move through things very well, and is slow to transfer heat.
Thinner oil 30/40 weight oil will move stuff easier/faster and normally run cooler etc.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the 10w30 version?
My UOA came back with around 1270 zinc and a TBN around 11?
I wonder if its got anything to do with the Second Generation version?
Even Their spec sheet shows their ATV stuff is around the same numbers that mine came back with.
In answer to your comment about Harley's having separate compartments, they do, however, the motor company has been pushing one oil for all three, Primary, Crankcase, Transmission.
While I don't follow this BS, I have been using my Premium blue in my Primary (wet clutch) with outstanding results.
My Stroker engines used ATF in their primary because it is what the clutch mfgr's recommend for best clutch grab and release.
Have you given any thought to running 50 weight oil in your Honda that used to spec 40 weight, and now currently spec's 30 weight?
Slow thick oil does not move through things very well, and is slow to transfer heat.
Thinner oil 30/40 weight oil will move stuff easier/faster and normally run cooler etc.
The viscosity of Mobil 1 15w-50 SM is only 16.5. Close to a 40 weight oil. And when my bike was made 10w-40 was the recommended oil viscosity.

Please post a photo of a Valvoline Premium Blue One Solution VOA. As I have.

“My UOA came back with around 1270 zinc and a TBN around 11?” If a UOA came back with those numbers it would truly be a remarkable oil. How many miles on the oil?

Also, for comparison show me any oil with a TBN of 11. Used or unused.

If Valvoline Premium Blue One Solution is such good oil I want to use it but currently there is nothing on this website to show it is.

As far as I can tell based on VOA reports, GN4 and Premium Blue One Solution are about the same… very ordinary, cheap oil which is perfectly adequate. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Premium Blue™ 15W-40

MSDS | Product Info Sheet
Zinc ppm
15.2 cSt
Viscosity @ 100° C
118 cSt
Viscosity @ 40° C
Here is the Valvoline product info off their website.
The sample I was referring to was a virgin sample (as yours was) to see what the oil was like.
I'll try and figure out how to post some of my UOA's as soon as my computer stops fighting me :rofl1:
If Valvoline was ordinary, cheap oil, as you say, why would Cummings extend their OCI an additional 5k miles UNDER WARRANTY if they didn't think it was good enough?

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Premium Blue™ 15W-40

MSDS | Product Info Sheet
Zinc ppm
15.2 cSt
Viscosity @ 100° C
118 cSt
Viscosity @ 40° C
Here is the Valvoline product info off their website.
The sample I was referring to was a virgin sample (as yours was) to see what the oil was like.
I'll try and figure out how to post some of my UOA's as soon as my computer stops fighting me :rofl1:
If Valvoline was ordinary, cheap oil, as you say, why would Cummings extend their OCI an additional 5k miles UNDER WARRANTY if they didn't think it was good enough?
C721A441-B8E6-452E-9F67-A33CDA6003FD.jpeg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
TBN on your print out 11 :rofl1:
Find something on the original premium blue, or one solution, before the 2nd gen stuff.
Starting to think Valvoline is doing what Shell did with their watered down version(s).

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
TBN on your print out 11 :rofl1:
Find something on the original premium blue, or one solution, before the 2nd gen stuff.
Starting to think Valvoline is doing what Shell did with their watered down version(s).
Zinc. 890 ppm

One original premium blue, i posted a VOA. Zinc 911 ppm.

I’m surprised you would want to mention the TBN because it declines with mileage. And you claim this oil had a TBN of 11 in a UOA report. Hence the question, what was the mileage.

“If Valvoline was ordinary, cheap oil, as you say, why would Cummings extend their OCI an additional 5k miles UNDER WARRANTY if they didn't think it was good enough?”

Because it is all that is required to meet that goal.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
Based on UOA this not a good oil, but it’s good enough. I don’t know how it is today but Yamalube was worse than this.

HONDA 08C35-A141L01 Honda Pro GN4 Motor Oil, 10W40, 1 gal
$27, free shipping.

Don't go by UOA go by an oils proven record. The Honda GN4 oil has probably logged tens of millions of miles by now. So here is what we know it will protect your motor period. Tens of thousands of Honda's have used this oil over 30 something odd years. We know of no oil related failure when using this oil. My own experience is I've used it since new some 81K ago.
And if you take the oil cap loose no sludge and the cam lobes look nice and shiney with no wear marks. Finally consider this Honda fills this oil from the factory in the new high tech DCT Honda. And I pay 20 bucks at the Honda dealer. What a bargain.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Valvoline Premium Blue One Solution 15W-40 (Gen 1)
TBN 10.0
Zinc 955 ppm.

Honda GN4 has better numbers than this and its got JASO. $20 at the dealers or $27 on amazon. I may use it.

57B3507E-C295-4CB6-A4D2-9B52A5D3022C.jpeg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
***Updated Information On HDEO from Valvoline and Chevron:***
An Email directly from Chevron in response to the new government emission requirements of the API CK-4, (posted on several forums) has indicated that the Delo 400LE 15w40 is being phased out and replaced with a newer version Delo 400SDE 15w40 which uses an ashless additive package to replace the lower ZINC and PHOSPHORUS levels which were required to meet emission requirements of API CK-4.
They state that this new version improves oxidation control, wear protection, and piston deposit control in both older and newer engines, and is backward compatible etc.
These are some comments from the email (since it was quite long)
When we choose to rebalance an additive package to address new requirements, it doesn't involve compromising performance or protection. Instead, the additive package is rebalanced with other NON-ZINC containing wear control additives, and other components to allow us to meet or exceed the performance and protection requirements etc.
Speaking to one of their Tech's, it was explained to me that this oil has not been certified/implied to meet JASO MA requirements (no need to for this oils target market) however, that there was no additives added to the new formula that would cause issues with a wet clutch in a motorcycle etc.
I personally have found that to be true, as I've run the Delo 400 versions in ST's and Goldwing's with no clutch issues (ymmv)
Now it looks like VALVOLINE has gone the same way, with their new GEN 2 Premium Blue. While I have several 2.5 gal jugs of the original Premium blue, and Premium blue one solution, their techs verified that while the older versions had a higher content of ZINC than the Gen 2 version, the original Premium blue, Heavy Duty engine oil, and their new all terrain stuff, still have the high ZINC content, but will eventually phased out for the same reasons that Chevron, and everyone else's are.
However, just like Chevron, the Tech's at Valvoline has also stated similar comments about no need to certify a target group they have no interest in, the Tech I spoke to went to the trouble of checking several different things for me, and came back and stated that there was nothing in the Original, standard versions, or the One solution version that will cause issues to a wet clutch.
I personally have found this true also, as I've been running the One solution version in a fleet of bikes, with no clutch issues.
He could not comment on the Gen 2 as he didn't have enough info in front of him at this time.
So it looks like the HDEO's that still have the GASOLINE rating MAY still be safe for our bikes, even without the JASO rating, however, the brands that removed the gasoline ratings (SHELL) have caused clutch slippage in at least 3-4 bikes that I've personally seen and repaired.
So, to answer the OP's question....we don't know yet.
I have enough stock in the normal stuff to not have to purchase oil for quite a while, I have not tried the new Gen2 stuff yet.
It MAY cause the same issues that the SHELL ROTELLA oil(s) have in their new formulas.
So USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Or just use ANY motorcycle specific oil that is labeled JASO and you should be good.
And yes, even the Honda oil, while it never returns UOA's as good as many other oils, it will work, and not hurt your engine.
And Like Forrest Gump said..."and that's all I'm gonna say about that"
Ride safe everyone.
:WCP1:

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
According to Valvolines own data from their website Premium Blue One Solution Gen 1 and Gen 2 both have less than 1000 ppm of zinc. Literally the equivalent of used motorcycle oil.

The thing about JASO certified oil of the correct grade is it’s always safe to use. And Diesel oil isn’t JASO certified. And Honda’s GN4 is. :thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom