Error in the manual?

Poacher

Ridin' for the Son
Bike
ST1300 A6 2007
STOC #
Hi Most Learned Fettlers, :bow1:

I read on a thread in passing that there was a error in the manula with regard to Carb Sync-ing. Am I blind? [don't all shout at once ;)] I can't see it and have followed the manual when sync-ing [or should that be sinking?] with no problems.

I have have a rumage around and even tried the dreaded 'search' but have not found any leads ....

Any and all [reasonable] replies welcome and I await your wisdom. :bow1:

p

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
What year manual (or is that manula across the pond? ;)).

I don't remember reading about a carb sync manual error.

Honda has actually been known to correct mistakes in subsequent year manuals when they find out they made an error.

If your bike is running more smoothly now I wouldn't worry to much! :)

OP
OP
Poacher

Poacher

Ridin' for the Son
Bike
ST1300 A6 2007
STOC #
Not much different - we have fettlers and fettles rather than farkles [where does that word come from?]

The query is not about sync-ing but the manual. I've seen, on a thread here that was an error in the carb sync-ing section and I was wondering what it was - I can't see a problem in mine [ST1100 90 - 01] and yes, 'the Beast II' is running very happily giving about 55mph.

Any ideas?

p

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The error you may be thinking of is balancing the left and right banks per the manual. Whereas in actuality, all carbs sync to the #4 carb.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The error you may be thinking of is balancing the left and right banks per the manual. Whereas in actuality, all carbs sync to the #4 carb.
Bingo! But it's the Haynes manual that is in error. And TTBOMK has never been corrected in any edition.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poacher

Poacher

Ridin' for the Son
Bike
ST1300 A6 2007
STOC #
Ahhhhh spotted .....

Why would you balance one bank and then the other? Surely they'll never balance across. Just shows I didn't read the manual properly.

With all the multi carb bikes I've always balanced to the main carb. I wonder if this is why some guys have so much trouble with 'noises' and running rough?

O.k. well that's answered my query ..... many thanks guys

p

Bike
2006 ST1300
Isn't it all the bodies sync to #1 (1st cylinder on the left as sitting on the MC?) On mine that one was non-adjustable. Or... I c\may have my numbering confused.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Per all the manuals, the ST1100 base carb is the left rear (#4). Right front is #1, left front is #2, and right rear is #3.

Bike
ST1100N '92
Another question:
Do you sync using Carbtune with or without the airfilter? I find the manuals are unclear about this and I noticed quite a difference synching without and then placing the air filter and starting whilst Carbtune is still attached.

Grts, Rob

Top Bottom