Essentials Tools for distance riding?

So we have some really long distance and amazing riders on the forum and wanted to take an advice based on their experience :)
When you go out for anything over 300 or so miles away, what essential basic tools do you carry? I am concerned about anything whatever can be carried in a tank bag, NOT in a trailer :please1:

Is it like a basic toolkit, with some zip ties, 12V air pump, tire plug repair kit or quart of engine oil or something more? Would really appreciate some help and advice :)

Also, is there anything particularly different for a chain driven bike vs a shaft one in terms of basic tools?

Thanks all :07biker:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
An air compressor and the tools to effect a puncture repair are as useful 3 miles away from home as well as 300 miles so I always carry them.

My Hondas have always been reliable so I carry no particular tools other than the tool kit supplied with the ST1300 prior to 2007. I add a small pair of side cutters and a little pair of vice grips to the Honda tools. A set of fuses and a roll of electrical tape round out the long distance kit. Oh, and my up-to-date roadside assistance card.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Which ST? I carry the tire repair stuff and a 5mm T-handle that fits most of the bodywork panels on the the ST1100 (when you swap the side panel screws for the allen head replacements). But I have a 'doctor's bag' in my right saddlebag that has a leatherman, M14 Cruztool, wire cutters, etc. in case it should get serious. I also have Honda Riders Roadside Assistance for about $130 for 5 years (Towing to nearest Honda dealer regardless of mileage. Towing to any Honda dealer or your home within 30 miles of breakdown).

https://www.hondadirectline.com/honda-honda-60-month-roadside-assistance-program-detail.htm?productid=-2940954

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
There are other threads on this site discussing tool kits and what people carry. These are as varied as the individuals who are members here. Some guys carry the minimum, and others drag along half of a Snap-On rolling tool chest. You should search the site for tool kits, emergency tool kits, etc. and print out some of the lists. Then go over them and pick and choose which you might be likely to use based on your abilities as a mechanic.

I carry (pretty much at all times) a tire plugging set - T handle reamer and gummy worm setting tool, compressor, allen keys,and a small (but probably too heavy) tool kit including sockets, pliers, tape, JIS screwdrivers, etc. In fact, I often use this kit to remove the fairing and do routine maintenance on my bike. How much work might I do by the side of the road? Realistically, probably not much, but I like having them. And yes, I have my cell phone, credit cards, and Progressive Insurance card w/ roadside assistance. Going to have to look into Phil's Honda roadside plan. Oh yes, I have a downloaded Owner's Manual on my phone. If I could find the Honda Service Manual for my 1300, I would download that, too.

We might start a discussion of various roadside assistance programs. For example, Phil's offers towing and fluids (gas, and maybe water in the middle of the Mojave), BMWMOA's plan has towing with an option for up to two new tires a year if you get flats. My Progressive Plan offers towing. Depending where you ride and how far, might dictate what you carry as well as which plan. If you are riding to Tierra del Fuego from Prudhoe Bay, your kit might be more complete than a trip from New York City down the east coast to Orlando.

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I carry my tool kit at all times--it is in a bag along with spare riding gloves, earplugs, head/neck covers, nearby state maps, and probably a couple other things I'm not remembering at this point. That bag is normally in my sidecase, but it also has built in straps and raincover so that I can attach it to the luggage rack for longer trips where I need the sidecase for clothes.

My toolkit includes tire pump and tire plugging stuff, tire pressure gage, jumper cables, nitrile gloves and throw-away woven fabric gloves, zipties, half-dozen paper towels, small bungees, specific fuses, roll of electricians tape, small flashlight, pliers, adjustable wrench, visegrip, and "tools specific to my bike". By that I mean all the required wrenches, bits, & sockets, the fewest necessary and smallest I could find, which fit my bike, checked in the garage to verify I've the essentials for most any work along side the road.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
tire plug kit and compressor small spray bottle of visor/shield cleaner and a soft rag, sun protector lip balm and sunscreen have fun....ff

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Spare brake and clutch lever and the tools to switch them out. The Allen key tool for the fairing panels, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14 mm sockets and a small wrench and extender bar. Neon 12v tester circuit tester, some wire, tape, cutters, small electrical screwdriver. Plus the tyre repair stuff and duct tape.

Stuff I have had to do at the side of the road:
Fix indicator wiring; fix heated grips; fix heated jacket connection; remove and refit front brake pads after some weird behaviour on alpine passes.
Oh and repair mudguard with ductape after setting off with the locking cable still attached.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I carry the compressor, mushroom plugs & tools to complete the job. I also carry a roll-up tool kit from a vendor here called RRR Tools. To that kit I've added a few other items like electrical tape, duct tape, needle nose pliers, zip ties, fuses and I think I even put in a small hammer with a shortened handle. Probably more than I'll ever need but it has been used for others while on the road. I hope I never have to use it!

Skip

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
It is amazing how few tools you really need. Besides the typical flat repair and mini compressor I have everything I need to remove the wheels from the bike in case of the dreaded sidewall damage. I may not have somebody come by that can transport myself and the bike to a repair shop, but most can transport a wheel and tire in the trunk.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If your tool kit contains perishables - tape, tire glue, aspirins, tylenol, etc., be sure to renew them every year....

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm a bit optimistic. I carry a Honda tool kit, T handles, tire plug kit. Some spares: spark plugs, hose clamps, one of each bulb type, a few feet of electrical wire, duct tape and electrical tape. A roadside assistance plan lightens your load, plus is a bit more practical than changing a fuel pump or alternator on the roadside.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Thanks and that brings up another point, do you have any specialized roadside assistance like good sam or AAA or something else?
You can purchase the Honda Roadside assistance plan on sale for about $90 through Honda Directline.

thekaz

haz gone feral
My ST is only for long distance riding. I carry everything I need for basic electrical, mechanical and tire repairs under the seat.....plus all tools needed to remove wheels.
You do not need alot and really if you work on it yourself you will realize that you do not need alot of tools for the basics :D

OP
OP
My ST is only for long distance riding. I carry everything I need for basic electrical, mechanical and tire repairs under the seat.....plus all tools needed to remove wheels.
You do not need alot and really if you work on it yourself you will realize that you do not need alot of tools for the basics :D
Thank you all. Could you please share a pict of evrything whatever you can carry under the seat? Might as well do it :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you all. Could you please share a pict of evrything whatever you can carry under the seat? Might as well do it :)
Just be careful. There is not a lot of room under the pillion, and there are more than a few wires. Many of us add an aux. fusebox and that seems to inhabit the under seat, near the taillights area. I carry my tools in a zip up pouch that I found on ebay when I was duffel bag shopping. Said pouch lives in one of the side cases.

OP
OP
Yeah, I am planning to go through the thread and will make a list of few basic tools, along with a air compressor and tire plugs, will just add in a tank bag.

Top Bottom