European travel

A top item on my bucket list is to come to Europe, buy a good used moto and travel around for quite a while, selling it when I have finished. I'm wondering if, as a nonresident, where or if I can purchase a ride there. What bureaucratic problems might I encounter? Best/easiest county to do it? Any information from an european member or US member who has done this would be appreciated. The trip is dependent on travel restrictions lifting. I'm just trying to plan ahead.
Thank you

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Sadly we've just left the EU so depends on where you intend starting your trip in Europe. I'm currently waiting to get to France but the earliest I will be able to go is late May due to lockdown in the UK. Many EC countries are now going into a third lockdown so things are looking dicey for this year... I would do some online research with Fawlty (based in Spain) or send him a PM.

Bike
VStrom 650
Steve, as per Ecca I think this year would have the potential to be difficult. But who knows.
From the outside looking in I think the US restrictions are very different to the EU/UK.
As to buying a bike and using before re-selling it, I hope I'm wrong but I foresee some issues. How are you going to register it without an address in the country you intend to buy?
Have you got any friends or relatives in Europe that may be able to help. I'm thinking they could register it and you could insure yourself to ride it.
I know this has been discussed before and there is no easy solution. Maybe @Moto-Charlie @CYYJ or @Fawlty can give some input.
If you need any help keep in touch and I'm sure Ecca, myself and others will do what we can to help, and the kettles on, maybe even a beer and malt.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Once upon a time, when I was young, there were a number of books and articles written by couples who went to Europe, bought a used VW camper (Westphalia equiv - called a caravan?), drove it around Europe for a year or two, sold it, and returned home, all for very little money. How did these folks do that?

I do know that if you have a used vehicle - car or bike - selling it 'right now' is not in the cards, things take time. Aside from that detail (and finding what you want relatively quickly) are there any used car places that allow one to buy and sell back a car after using it for a while? IIRC, Larry and Lin Pardey - a couple who cruised aboard their boat around the world - bought a used motorcycle (a small one), used it to explore Europe, and then sold it. Why not @STSteve?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Steve:

Do investigate the recommendation that Uncle Phil made directly above, I think that will likely be the most trouble-free way of accomplishing what you want to do.

I have no experience with renting or purchasing in Europe - I have always just shipped my Canadian-plated motorcycle over to Europe. That is not too expensive to do from where I live in Eastern Canada, but it might be prohibitively expensive from your location in California. FYI, the break-even point between shipping and renting is around the 4 week mark... less than 4 weeks touring, its cheaper to rent, more than that, it's cheaper to ship (ex Toronto or Montreal).

Michael

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Hi Steve. Yes, here in Spain you could buy as a non resident, but you would need to have a permanent address here. I would advise rental or shipping as Michael suggested. If and when you do get across the pond and find yourself in Spain, give me a shout and maybe we could meet up. Good Luck.

Nick

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm wondering if, as a nonresident, where or if I can purchase a ride there.
You'll have a problem...
How are you going to register it without an address in the country you intend to buy?
That'll be the problem, you won't have a fixed address to register the bike to, and probably don't want to stay in a single hotel for long enough to (illegaly) use their address and wait for the paperwork to come through.

I would rent.
This is your solution, depending on two main factors: how long do you want to travel for, and how fussy are you about it being a "good used bike."

If you're not so fussy about the bike being "good" - and you have a modicum of knowledge & some tools, bikes the world over can be bought cheap and thrown away (for a small cost if you care about the environment).

I rent a bike a bike in Rome and always use the same shop, I've been going back to them for so long that I get "return customer" rates, but as an unknown entity on a short trip, expect 150 Euro/day. Longer trips and the daily rate goes down.

I can't think of a way to get a "free" bike (buying one & then selling it later), unfortunately.

This is your solution, depending on two main factors: how long do you want to travel for, and how fussy are you about it being a "good used bike."

If you're not so fussy about the bike being "good" - and you have a modicum of knowledge & some tools, bikes the world over can be bought cheap and thrown away (for a small cost if you care about the environment).

I rent a bike a bike in Rome and always use the same shop, I've been going back to them for so long that I get "return customer" rates, but as an unknown entity on a short trip, expect 150 Euro/day. Longer trips and the daily rate goes down.

I can't think of a way to get a "free" bike (buying one & then selling it later), unfortunately.
I know that you can pick up a new model BMW1200GS for around 70 to 100 Euros a day and as you say it gets cheaper the longer you rent.
Not too sure; for somebody wanting to come over from California to navigate the intricacies of finding a dealer, actually buying, making sure it has TÜV, or what ever the local tests are called, insured, taxed, etc. Then flogging it after the trip and expecting to get the money during this lifetime.
Maybe take both suggestions into consideration.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I know that you can pick up a new model BMW1200GS for around 70 to 100 Euros a day
Largely it depends where you rent from, inner city places like I tend to use will start off with a higher daily rate and a higher deposit. I think the first time I rented a 1250GS, they wanted 1400 Euro's as a security deposit. Of course, look after the bike and you get that back. Most places will give an allowance of around 200km/day, with a charge for anything more than that.

Pre-Covid days, I would spend more in an average Italian restaurant than I did on bike hire, and they brought it to the airport to meet me for free.

Last edited:
A top item on my bucket list is to come to Europe, buy a good used moto and travel around for quite a while, selling it when I have finished. I'm wondering if, as a nonresident, where or if I can purchase a ride there. What bureaucratic problems might I encounter? Best/easiest county to do it? Any information from an european member or US member who has done this would be appreciated. The trip is dependent on travel restrictions lifting. I'm just trying to plan ahead.
Thank you
Hi Steve,
I live in southern Spain, in the Murcia region. I think the problem you may have if you are intending to buy a bike in Spain, is that you have to be on the "padron" ("Padron is short for empadronamiento, and it is a certificate given to justify that you live in Spain on a more or less permanent basis.")
I don't know anyway around it, perhaps other members in Spain might be able to help.
It may be that other European countries have a different system.
I'm pretty sure that all you need is money to buy a bike in the UK, so that might be the easiest way to do it. Its very easy to get on a ferry or through the channel tunnel from the UK then Europe is at your feet (as you say travel restrictions permitting).
If I can help in anyway please just drop me a line.
If you want to be having a look at bikes for sale in UK, try autotrader.co.uk, or MCN.com. or in Europe, try https://www.theparking-motorcycle.eu or autoscout24.com.
Good luck,
Kelvin.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Find Mike from Motorfermie in Kinsale, Ireland.

ADVriders have had good success with him buying a bike and providing an address for registration

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
The other alternative that a fellow K1600 rider has used is a service Air Canada provided to fly your bike to Europe. Pre-COVID it appeared to be the cheapest option. You'll have to wait until the USA-Canada border re-opens and the EU relaxes restrictions.

Bike
VStrom 650
If you want rental prices look up Hertz for all of Europe and if thinking of starting in Scotland, then Dalkeith BMW rent bikes, or they did. You could fly into Edinburgh and then get to Dalkeith pretty quick. If I was about I could pick you up from the airport.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Find Mike from Motorfermie in Kinsale, Ireland.
ADVriders have had good success with him buying a bike and providing an address for registration
;)
That's the feller I was referring to!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Steve, drive up the US coast to Canada (19hours) and on the top 10 riding roads in NA, load your bike in a cargo container on an Air Canada flight to Europe and fly with your bike to your destination. It can't get any cheaper or easier than that. Let me know if you need any help, I work right beside the airport, YVR.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I spoke to a friend who mentioned buy/sell deals. Basically a used car dealer would sell you the vehicle with the intent to buy it back after your use. Again, this goes back many years, but there were a number of places doing this (according to him). Naturally, the buy back price was somewhat lower than the sell price, but he arranged the paperwork.

Top Bottom