Ever fill up with diesel - of course not - but I did

Bike
2010 ST-1300
"And here I thought bike riders were smarter than needing that. " obviously not if somebody started this thread 8>) My BMW r1100rt an my BMW f650 have a narrower filler neck.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I know the marine that used to teach other marines how to ride KLR 650's at Camp Pendleton. He is a Ridercoach trainer now in NY. He said the diesel KLR never worked out. They were interested in diesel because I was easer to come by in the remote desert areas.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I think it was Sinclair gas stations that used to have diesel fuel lines that were black and green as gasoline.
BP does here stateside. My co-worker put a gallon in his VW-TDi before realizng it. Cost him $350 to get it all out. Tank was small (8 gallon) and he didn't think it would be diluted enough if he just put diesel on top of it with the high pressure fuel pump they run. If it had been his pickup, with the 30 gallon tank he would have just added the proper fuel to the mix.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I know the marine that used to teach other marines how to ride KLR 650's at Camp Pendleton. He is a Ridercoach trainer now in NY. He said the diesel KLR never worked out. They were interested in diesel because I was easer to come by in the remote desert areas.
The military (other than perhaps the Navy) only usee one fuel. Aircraft, helicopters, ground vehicles, generators, etc. Basically light (#1) diesel fuel.

Bike
2004 ST1300
BP does here stateside. My co-worker put a gallon in his VW-TDi before realizng it. Cost him $350 to get it all out. Tank was small (8 gallon) and he didn't think it would be diluted enough if he just put diesel on top of it with the high pressure fuel pump they run. If it had been his pickup, with the 30 gallon tank he would have just added the proper fuel to the mix.
The TDI tanks are closer to 15 gallons, but if he has one with the HPFP as mentioned, he did the right thing. They don't tolerate much/any contamination and cost about $3500 to replace and before a warranty claim a fuel sample is taken.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
ST1300 Draining Fuel (after accidentally filling with diesel)
Did that back in the military once. Drew Sunday duty, alone. The shop delivery tug was near empty so I drove it over to the flight service station, which was unmanned on Sundays. The tug ran briefly then died with quite a bit of exhaust smoke with a familiar smell. Some joker had switched the pump hoses between the diesel pump and regular pump....hoses were very long compared with modern fuel pumps back then, had to work on a variety of vehicle configurations. I spent the rest of the day performing a similar procedure to yours.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had to pay extra attention on this last trip to which nozzle I was grabbing at BP ALL the handles were green. Some stations the diesel handle was black and gas green others it was the opposite. Other stations had non-ethanol fuel and some had E-85. The non-ethenol was $0.50 more per gallon than the 87.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I had to pay extra attention on this last trip to which nozzle I was grabbing at BP ALL the handles were green. Some stations the diesel handle was black and gas green others it was the opposite. Other stations had non-ethanol fuel and some had E-85. The non-ethenol was $0.50 more per gallon than the 87.
Yep, I've had to pay closer attention at BP stations as well. I think they're the only one's I've seen with green gasoline (petrol) handles, at least here in the USA.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Only thing worse than putting diesel in your gas tank , is putting a live cigarette down the hole ! I caught a gas station attendant in 1978 filling up my new '76 G. W. , looking straight down the hole with a lit cigarette with a hanging ash ! ( gas fumes coming back up out of the hole )
I says : " GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT CIGARETTE ! You will blow us both sky high AND my Gold Wing ! "

He says : "Oh , uh , sorry ! "

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I made this mistake with my car one time some years ago. I'm not sure the hoses and handles were color coded in circa 1986 but diesel smells so different and often the handle is oily so I don't know how I managed the mix-up but I pumped about 2 gallons of diesel into my MGB which held about 12 gallons. The tank was almost empty so when I noticed my mistake I filled it the rest of the way with gasoline and drove off. The car ran rough and fouled the spark plugs a couple of times IIRC but topping the tank off about every 50 miles worked to return operation to normal.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
Been there done that with my Beemer long way from home. In my defence, there was some credit card advertising sticker covering the word "Diesel" and the different colour of the hoses compared to home country did the rest...

The gas-station would not let me leave the mixed fuel, so I had to call a tow service. Waited 1.5hrs for them to show up wiht an old diesel van, so I could dump the fuel in their tank... then emptied the fuel filter, filled up again and was on my way..

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
I filled my f250 with gas. Damn green pump handle at BP. You don't even want to know the trouble and cost of that fix!!

I just didn't want you to feel alone. :)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've seen another US gas company use green for non-diesel, don't recall which.
This, I pay attention to the pumps, nozzles and hoses. Came close to putting diesel in one time.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I started to fill up my Nighthawk 750 with diesel at a rally gas stop one time. Thankfully I caught myself after only a tenth of a gallon. I then filled up with gas and the bike was fine.

Top Bottom