Exhaust Cement/Sealant

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes very good article Michael.

Haven't removed the rear wheel yet as nowhere open locally to supply a new tyre due to virus.

Paul

PS Re removing my oil filter, perhaps I didn't persevere enough. Worried about damaging filter shaft, and/or old filter. As for using screwdriver & hammer method, it would just be my (bad) luck to really have a bad day. Don't know the length of the filter shaft. So I've filled up with new oil and decided to ride.
The shaft is less than an inch long, closer to 1/2". Just drive the screwdriver through about an inch from the end of the filter and you'll be ok.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I find it interesting that the ST manual calls for no goop on exhaust pipe fittings, (and uses that relatively expensive gasket) yet my Suzi VStrom manual wants their RTV equivalent to be spread on the male end before assembling the exhaust pipes. But then, the ST is a sports car compared to the VStrom - in weight.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have always used a cup style filter wrench, it has never slipped, even on the original Honda installed filter. Honda sells one for the ST. Snap On sells them also, they list multiple sizes, in millimeters and by the number of flutes on the filter. They are a very good investment, I believe the ST uses a 64 or 65 mm, 14 flute but I am not positive on the mm. Maybe Igofar can chime in and inform us of the correct size.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have always used a cup style filter wrench, it has never slipped, even on the original Honda installed filter. Honda sells one for the ST. Snap On sells them also, they list multiple sizes, in millimeters and by the number of flutes on the filter. They are a very good investment, I believe the ST uses a 64 or 65 mm, 14 flute but I am not positive on the mm. Maybe Igofar can chime in and inform us of the correct size.
64 mm is the size for the ST1300. FWIW....toyota spin on filters are the same size filter. I have a filter end cap for my three toyota vehicles and never even thought about trying it on my ST .......until a few days ago after surfing here. :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
64 mm is the correct size.
Without knowing which side of the bike your attacking the filter from may I suggest the following.
If your using a cup style 14 flute cap in the correct 64 mm, and its slipping, try a small piece of sand paper in a couple of the flutes, or lapping compound.
I'm not one to bang on stuff with hammers and punches, so I'll try and offer you an easier approach.
Remove the lower RIGHT side cowl (black belly pan) to gain access.
Now you'll have a full throw on your ratchet or breaker bar from the ground up, pulling towards you. This alone will help alot.
You may want to spray on some PB blaster, or mix up some Acetone/ATF fluid in equal parts and soak the base of the filter.
Resist the urge to Yank, Jerk, Hit or hammer on the filter.
Instead get everything lined up, apply increasing pressure, then wait...don't let off the pressure. 99% of the time, after a moment or two the contact will give in and you'll be able to spin it off.
If you can't get at it with this method (on the side stand by the way), find yourself a blanket, cushion, or tire, and gently lay the bike over on the left side (this works on PD bikes often).
You will now have more than enough room and reach to grab the filter with a large set of oil filter pliers.
Hope this helps.
Igofar

Top Bottom