Exhaust Gasket Question

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Good Morning,
Some time ago I bought a set of used pipes for the Bee, to replace the black ones that someone drilled out to make them louder. Here's the question, do I need (or rather is it a good idea) to replace the gasket where the pipe meets the exhaust? I don't have mine off yet, but I don't want to take everything off only to find that I should have ordered these parts (closest dealer is about an hour away).

While I'm on the subject, is there anything else I should know? It seems fairly straightforward in the manual, but you know how that goes...

Thanks in advance for the assist!
Kent

The Cheese

You should always replace a gasket when removing a part. Some exceptions are reusable rubber one's. The exhaust uses a flat metal gasket. You may be able to reuse it. Its so cheap that I would renew it. Wouldn't want to redo the work over ten bucks.

Bar keepers friend does a good job at getting the stainless to shine. My Walmart has just started to carry it. Since I was there, I'd take apart shift linkage and clean n lube it. Side stand too.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Ditto to the above post. If you know you are going to be doing the job, get the gaskets. Often times reusing them works, so is worth a try for a sudden unexpected repair, but if its a planned repair I suggest having new gaskets on hand.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks, Michael!
I'll have a look while the plastic is off. The gasket I saw on the fiche looked to be like a piece of pipe -not just a flat type - like a water pump or headgasket.
Screen shot 2012-08-03 at 8.57.43 AM.png

Part number 11. I should probably get them in, just to be sure the seal is good.
Thanks,
Kent

Bike
ST1100AX
+1 to the above, you don't want to find out the old one is no good when you are putting it back together.

If its the ones that fit in the collector box/ rear exhaust joint, I have also learned from experience to buy the OEM ones rather than trying to save a little in aftermarket ones.
The aftermarket ones split while putting the exhausts back on and when looking at them the OEM ones have a metal mesh within the graphite of the gasket whereas the aftermarket ones did not, this mesh gave the OEM ones a bit more strength.

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks!
Flookyk - My last name is Barnard - are you near Barnard Castle? I know it's on the River Durham, but not sure of the county.

Top Bottom