Exhaust Headers - ST1300

Well I've been watching some videos of heat wrapping exhaust headers to reduce heat inside fairings. There are some fairly big claims of heat reduction approx 100°C from within the fairings, with benefits of less thermal stress on the electrical components as well as rider comfort. Has anyone had experience of this modification. Any comments most welcome. Much Appreciated. Cheshire Mike

Bike
2009 ST1300
Yeah I find the whole subject perplexing, I'm reading that after wrapping, head temperatures are lowered, which doesn't make any sense to me, and a couple other claims which strike me as contrary to what I would imagine. I mean, if it were that easy to send the heat through the tail end, why does the bike come out year after without any changes I might wonder.
I can only make a comparison with a certain water heater that I work on which is somewhat unique; [not that anything is these days] it's a high efficiency down directed burner; the burner / heat exchanger reduces to a 180 degree elbow and rises to a perimeter coil spiraling downward toward a condensate trap / elbow directed vertically upward and toward a vent termination.
IMHO, the water vapor produced, condenses, in the incoming cold lower portion of the heat exchanger, then flashes [speed of sound when finally re evaporates] as it rises and drops slightly in absolute pressure.
In any event, everyone hate's this water heater [model] because it's so noisy [except when you're there]
Where was I going...
if the pipes are wrapped, there's less heat transfer so the interior surface of the pipe is higher than design; the metal temperature operates at a higher temperature; perhaps the full run of the exhaust acts as HC burner; no cat required, terminal temperature would be higher, but I don't see how this could translate into cooler head temperature.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have no personal experience, but most reports that I have read seem to report minimal temperature drop for the rider at best.
Many also report that the exhaust system ends up rusting badly under the wrap.
Buyer beware, I wouldn't do it.

Bike
20 Tracer GT
I wrapped the headers back to the collector and noticed a significant decrease in ankle temperature to the point where summer riding wasn't totally unbearable. Cold weather riding was just that: colder ankles and shins. It took 25 ft each side. A person can put on enough clothing to keep warm but can't always take off enough to stay cool. I'm in the desert southwest so moisture condensation (rust) isn't a consideration as it may be in some other climates.

I have mine wrapped but did it verysoon after buying it, i dont know if it made anything cooler. I still have air wings to blow air along the legs in summer.
As for cooler heads most likely so..ill try.....the exhaust gas leaving the head can be manipulated by backpressure, temps, flow, so the the heat leaving the chamber does not flow as fast, (this velocity burns valves) such as by quick collapse from cold pipes. so 600 degree pipes instead of 500 degree pipes can slow flow from backpressure.
Pipes should be wrapped an equal length so they are a matched set...so to speak.

Top Bottom