Experience with PMR barswitches?

Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
Mainly for weatherproofing, I'm looking to clean up some of the farkling the PO of my ST did by inserting a mini toggle switch into the dash. I used that switch for aux. lighting but they keep going bad. Finding the same size switch in a weatherproof form has been difficult.

I was lucky enough to happen upon an unmolested dash locally and am considering purchasing a 2 or 3 switch unit from PMR so I don't have to punch or cut any holes in that new to me, dash. For what they are, they're pricy units but so is just about every other product aimed at a limited market.

1549216710353.png

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I've had this switch for several years and it's worked very well. I have it mounted on the front brake reservoir.

Skip

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
1549238758762.png
The bracket is nothing more than a length of 3/16" x 3/4" aluminum from HomeDepot. It's 3 3/4" long and painted with Krylon.
Amazon sells a small latching push button switch that's IP67 rated as waterproof. It uses a half inch hole so it fits the bracket nicely. I used the switch to ground the cold side of a power relay that is mounted inside the dash.
It would have been great to use an illuminated switch but ya can't use what ya can't find. It doesn't really need to be lit up. If the button is engaged, it's flush with the edge so you know the lights are on just by feel. For two switches you could start with a 1.5 " wide strip and cut it down into an "L"....

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Nice job, k2mpw. I’ve used this method a few times but I don’t think I executed it quite as nicely.

Uncle Phil, could I get a copy of the wiring diagram for the police switches? I’d love to set that up on my ST1100.

G

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nice job, k2mpw. I’ve used this method a few times but I don’t think I executed it quite as nicely.

Uncle Phil, could I get a copy of the wiring diagram for the police switches? I’d love to set that up on my ST1100.

G
Here they are

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Mainly for weatherproofing,
I was lucky enough to happen upon an unmolested dash locally and am considering purchasing a 2 or 3 switch unit from PMR
I read all of PMR's descriptions, but somehow missed where they said the switches are waterproof. Did you see that on their website? How are these wired - screw terminals, spades or something else?

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
I read the same page and there's nothing that mentions anything about weather resistance. I found another vendor with more pictures and options but still nada about weather.... http://www.pashnitmoto.com/PMR-Bar-Switch-Single-p/pmr-pm-53.htm
For $80 plus shipping for two switches I'd have to ask if I can lower my hands after the sale.... ooouch....

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
I read the same page and there's nothing that mentions anything about weather resistance. I found another vendor with more pictures and options but still nada about weather.... http://www.pashnitmoto.com/PMR-Bar-Switch-Single-p/pmr-pm-53.htm
For $80 plus shipping for two switches I'd have to ask if I can lower my hands after the sale.... ooouch....

Michael
Plus another $40 if you want the other half of the handlebar clamp. Machined out of billet aluminum and powder coated (or not, your choice). Not sure if they provide matching bolts.

I keep remembering a comment from the last Iron Butt Rally with endless downpours that soaked everyone all the way through waterproof riding gear and drowned some electronics. Would these switches hold up to that punishment?

OP
OP
capnkirk
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
Very much appreciate the advice and comments. I may look into tracking down a police switch assembly and had peaked at a few of the threads where folks like Uncle Phil had already done so. Thanks so much for those wiring diagrams!

I was considering the PMR switch housing as a fairly clean alternative to not altering the stock wiring. Like many have pointed out, neither the housing nor the switches it comes with, are water/weatherproof. I suppose this is because its a track accessory.

The switches are a standard form-factor however and could be replaced if needed so I might still keep the option in mind. Especially if I can't track down the police switch housing.

Bike
2010 ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SteveST1300 said:
I'm not sure that type of bar mount will work on a 1300.
+1 That look pretty thick and I don't think there's a lot of room to work with. If you had elfin hands you could trim the grips and the throttle tube.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Cable Length: Approx.64mm
Really? That translates to about 2 1/2 inches. Well, when Eastern Beaver charges $2 for an extra 6" of wire I guess we shouldn't complain on a $6 switch. After all, the other half of the cnc machined, billet aluminum clamp comes free (mill finish or black, your choice).

I suppose this is because its a track accessory.
Good thing it never rains at race tracks. I'm going to have to start spending a lot more time there. Sarcasm aside, this strikes me as a design flaw or poor planning. I'd have to assume that the high cost is due to limited production and high overhead - yet another reason we like bikes made in Asian countries.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mainly for weatherproofing, I'm looking to clean up some of the farkling the PO of my ST did by inserting a mini toggle switch into the dash. I used that switch for aux. lighting but they keep going bad. Finding the same size switch in a weatherproof form has been difficult.

I was lucky enough to happen upon an unmolested dash locally and am considering purchasing a 2 or 3 switch unit from PMR so I don't have to punch or cut any holes in that new to me, dash. For what they are, they're pricy units but so is just about every other product aimed at a limited market.

1549216710353.png
I bought some of these switches. I don't use them on the bike. Glad to sell you a set with three switches. The switches are press in fit and spaded on the back side. To weather proof them you're going to have to fill the backside with silicone caulking or hot glue. Not real attractive from the back either. The aluminum housing is nice. Much better to get these from Wingdings. Made for goldwings and fit perfectly on your brake res. Illuminated switches.

http://wingstuff.com/products/20158-black-led-accessory-switch?context=accessory_switches

Top Bottom