Experience with PMR barswitches?

Bike
2010 ST1300
OP
OP
capnkirk
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
I bought some of these switches. I don't use them on the bike. Glad to sell you a set with three switches. The switches are press in fit and spaded on the back side. To weather proof them you're going to have to fill the backside with silicone caulking or hot glue. Not real attractive from the back either. The aluminum housing is nice. Much better to get these from Wingdings. Made for goldwings and fit perfectly on your brake res. Illuminated switches.
Thanks for the feedback! I wondered what the rear side of them looked like. That drops them out of consideration for me then. I like the top of reservoir switches and will still consider the police switch housing. Will that switch pack from Wingdings also fit the clutch side or is there something preventing that? Ah nevermind, I see, it can be mounted either side. Just had to scour the webpage.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Cable Length: Approx.64mm
That may be a typo - 64cm and not mm. The pics show a lot of cable connected to the switch. It still doesn't look like a good candidate for the 1300. But at $6.03 it's a decent deal for the 1100 or other bike with the room for it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The switches are press in fit and spaded on the back side.
Is that 'backside' inside the housing? That kit would be fine for us fair weather riders. The more intense could seal it up.

I've seen that assembly years ago in black and in chrome but this is the first I've heard of anybody describing the inside. Good to know.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the feedback! I wondered what the rear side of them looked like. That drops them out of consideration for me then. I like the top of reservoir switches and will still consider the police switch housing. Will that switch pack from Wingdings also fit the clutch side or is there something preventing that? Ah nevermind, I see, it can be mounted either side. Just had to scour the webpage.
The wing ding switches are fit to a particular side, but they are made for both sides, meaning be sure to buy a left and a right. I have one on each side. They run heated grips, aux fuel pump, map light, fork lights, BIG lights, and radar detector (hey, sometimes I ride to VA and need to turn it off.)

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is that 'backside' inside the housing? That kit would be fine for us fair weather riders. The more intense could seal it up.

I've seen that assembly years ago in black and in chrome but this is the first I've heard of anybody describing the inside. Good to know.
Is it "inside the housing"? The backside of the housing is open. If you pop the switch out you can look straight thru it. So if you look at it from the back you'll see the spaded connections. As far as weather, I think a bit of dialectic grease would keep corrosion at bay. I just didn't like them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jodog said:
The backside of the housing is open.
Thanks for the pics! The PMR switches look like they're in half a case! No wonder they specify 'for track only'. I've seen the WIngDing switches before and like them especially in black.

Bike
1994 ST1100
I know this is a year old now but in case anybody is still interested in fitting a police switch I found this recently...
Seems like the Chinese are happy to copy anything? This version has an extra socket which looks like a co-ax type. Not sure what you might use that for? I have no idea what the circuitry might be either!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The coax connection says "MIC", so I'm guessing its a pass through for mono audio. There is a male coax connection in the wiring bundle. This is a "B-BT" device.... Before BlueTooth!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
This version has an extra socket which looks like a co-ax type. Not sure what you might use that for? I have no idea what the circuitry might be either!
Looking closer, it's a standard RCA jack, which mates with the same kind of plug that's on the other end of the harness.

1612846138307.png

Top Bottom