External or internal fuel pump modification

Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Well my 92 ST died on the side of the highway the other day and I’ve determined it is the fuel pump. I’ve got 12 bolts going to the pump and nothing happens. I’ve been reading about fuel pump mods on the AOW. I see pros and cons of both external and internal mods. I’m leaning toward the external mod. I’m looking for any long term performance feedback?? Rouff posted about slight mileage loss. Another person posted about overheating fears? I like the idea of keeping a spare on the bike. I’m hoping the external mod has given lots of reliable miles and that would help with my decision. Any recent feedback would be great.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well my 92 ST died on the side of the highway the other day and I’ve determined it is the fuel pump. I’ve got 12 bolts going to the pump and nothing happens. I’ve been reading about fuel pump mods on the AOW. I see pros and cons of both external and internal mods. I’m leaning toward the external mod. I’m looking for any long term performance feedback?? Rouff posted about slight mileage loss. Another person posted about overheating fears? I like the idea of keeping a spare on the bike. I’m hoping the external mod has given lots of reliable miles and that would help with my decision. Any recent feedback would be great.
PM Uncle Phil. I believe he runs an internal pump but has a mod so that he can plug in an external one when he is on the road and has a pump failure.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Well I ordered the pump in your link. Thank you. I ordered two of them because I also have a 91 at and you never know?? The link to the fuel line didn’t work so I’ll have to do some searching for that. Thanks again for figuring this out. This forum is great!!

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Hi Chris,
I am still running the external pump as in the AOW. Funny thing is that my original pump that failed is now working so I have the auxiliary pump still in line and run it a bit each trip to make sure it works. Just in case you want a backup for your back up :)
Raouf

OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Thanks for the feed back. I think I have ordered everything except the regulator?? The description for the pump says direct replacement for the st1100 so I wasn’t sure that I would need a regulator. Is there a part number for the regulator? and has someone else already mounted one? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?? I’d like to flatter someone….

Top Bottom