F1 light issues

On the way home, the other night from work i noticed that at a stop light my F1 light came on And stayed on i was wondering exactly what this is and how I can fix it. I am new to the form I need help. Any help appreciated, thank you in advance.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Hi Philly D.!

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to learn you are having a problem with your STeed. As you may know, the FI light operates similar to the check engine light on a car. It can be triggered for numerous reasons. Unlike a regular check engine light, it can be used to reveal the triggering condition.

Under most conditions, the code condition that triggered the light will be stored in the PGM-FI unit. To determine the code, place your ST on its center stand, put the kickstand down, and with the transmission in Neutral start the engine. If the code is stored, the FI light will begin to blink. Next, count the blinks. One long blink equals a count of 10, but a short blink counts as a count of one. The blinking sequence will repeat as long as the engine is running and the sidestand is in the down position.

For example, a problem with the left knock sensor will give you a code of 25 [two long blinks followed by five short blinks]. If you don't have a Honda Service Manual, a list of the codes can be found here.

If you start the bike and there is no code (i.e., the FI light is not on) it means the codes has not been stored. To trigger the code and activate the FI light, let the bike warm up to normal operating temp. Once warmed up, increase the rpms until you get slightly over 4,000 rpm. Leave the revs at 4K rpms for 5-10 seconds until the FI light comes on. At that point, the light will begin its series of blinks.

You will not be able to begin addressing the problem until you know the fault code. Once you find that out, please post your results in this thread or send me a PM.

Chris

OP
OP
Hi Philly D.!

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to learn you are having a problem with your STeed. As you may know, the FI light operates similar to the check engine light on a car. It can be triggered for numerous reasons. Unlike a regular check engine light, it can be used to reveal the triggering condition.

Under most conditions, the code condition that triggered the light will be stored in the PGM-FI unit. To determine the code, place your ST on its center stand, put the kickstand down, and with the transmission in Neutral start the engine. If the code is stored, the FI light will begin to blink. Next, count the blinks. One long blink equals a count of 10, but a short blink counts as a count of one. The blinking sequence will repeat as long as the engine is running and the sidestand is in the down position.

For example, a problem with the left knock sensor will give you a code of 25 [two long blinks followed by five short blinks]. If you don't have a Honda Service Manual, a list of the codes can be found here.

If you start the bike and there is no code (i.e., the FI light is not on) it means the codes has not been stored. To trigger the code and activate the FI light, let the bike warm up to normal operating temp. Once warmed up, increase the rpms until you get slightly over 4,000 rpm. Leave the revs at 4K rpms for 5-10 seconds until the FI light comes on. At that point, the light will begin its series of blinks.

You will not be able to begin addressing the problem until you know the fault code. Once you find that out, please post your results in this thread or send me a PM.

Chris
Thanks Chris will address this on the weekend

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Welcome to the forum! I recently had the FI light come on after owning my 2005 for 8 years. I'm receiving code 26 which is fairly common. I'll start diagnosing the issue when I do maintenance on the bike this winter. Fortunately, it still runs mostly normally (with the fuel economy a bit lower than before). It came on repeatedly on my trip to the Blue Ridge Gathering last month but hasn't come on at all doing local riding since then.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Before you panic, and start assuming its the ECM unit, there are a few other simple (free) things to check, such as the 5 way tee in the vacuum lines.
Search through the articles on the forum.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Welcome to the forum! I recently had the FI light come on after owning my 2005 for 8 years. I'm receiving code 26 which is fairly common. I'll start diagnosing the issue when I do maintenance on the bike this winter. Fortunately, it still runs mostly normally (with the fuel economy a bit lower than before). It came on repeatedly on my trip to the Blue Ridge Gathering last month but hasn't come on at all doing local riding since then.
Your not doing your bike any favors by riding it with the code 26 flashing.
While you may think it runs mostly normal, and its just the fuel economy, your slowly killing your bike.
Your ECM is confused and does not know what to provide to things, making your bike run dangerously hot, and it may/will damage plastic parts, sensors, and wire harnesses.
Just saying :rolleyes:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Your not doing your bike any favors by riding it with the code 26 flashing.
While you may think it runs mostly normal, and its just the fuel economy, your slowly killing your bike.
Your ECM is confused and does not know what to provide to things, making your bike run dangerously hot, and it may/will damage plastic parts, sensors, and wire harnesses.
Just saying :rolleyes:
Well, fortunately the light hasn't flashed since I've returned from my trip and ridden only locally, so I'm not riding it with the light flashing. I'm really only riding it until I run the gas out of the upper tank enough to remove it if I need to before I start tearing into it.

Since Honda discontinued the ECU, there aren't a lot of options for owners of pre 2008 bikes (if it turns out to be the ECU). You can either keep riding it, park it hoping to get a used replacement ECU (and take your chances), sell it cheap, or start parting it out.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you want to drain your tank quickly, and easily, pull off the vent line, and route a hose to your gas can, this will drain the upper tank. If you want to drain both tanks, remove the Return hose (on the lid of the lower tank) and this will drain both tanks.
Image 2.jpgImage 1.jpg

Top Bottom