Fairing restoration/painting?

Andy Davis

Before I respray my heavily scratched lower cowl, I think there must be a way to polish the plastic to as new shine. This should be the same as ABS automobile bumper covers...20 years ago they painted these parts, but I'm pretty sure now they're not painted, but polished. They must use some process like flame/heat or solvent vapor polishing. Point is, the fenders and fairings are solid ABS..there's no paint on them. How do they make these piecs so shiny at the factory, and what is the correct way to make them like new. Certainly, I can paint it, and then polish the paint, but I don't think that is the correct method.

I have experimented on the little lower cowl lid, sanding and then polishing it, but it doesn't match the original color. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Maybe a solvent based, clear coat on top?

Bike
2010 ST1300
At least some replacement auto bumper covers come black and are painted by the body shop. Our Toyota Camry was one of these. Cannot speak for other brands or new cars, this goes back about 15 years.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Some people have successfully used spraycan pickup bed liner material. This tactic would permit you to sand scuffs relatively smooth and still retain the wavy finish....looks good from a short distance.
Whatever you use, make certain it if suitable for plastic flexible bumpers. In either case prep is crucial or it may not adhere.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Just an opinion and it depends on how much you want to spend and how good you want the finished product to look...I’d consider a professional MC painter and do it that way- yup, you spend more of course, but it’s prepped properly, painted properly and may look outstanding if done the right way. I’d rather spend a little more on a bike I intend to keep for the longer term vs trying and maybe either failing or have it look less than optimal. Like I said, just an opinion.

I’m not a painter at all, but I would assume primer, sand, color coat(s), sand and then clear coat, superficial sand and buff til it’s to your liking. I’m not sure but it seems like you’re asking if the paint is part of the scratched panel (like part was made in the color), so polishing will bring out a deeper portion of the plastic- I don’t think it’s that way.

OP
OP

Andy Davis

I feel it is wrong, but I'm giving up...just going to paint it.

Top Bottom