Fastener kit for fairing parts in the uk.

Bike
St1300
Hi, Can anyone suggest or recommend from experience a supplier of complete fairings fastenings kit in the uk ? I might as well get a complete kit if they exist. My dealer is very good but miles away, and boy do the prices add up. A number of people can supply s/s metal fixings but get a bit vague on the plastic clips.
Many thanks.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Parts fiches are available from Fowlers, Ling's and others.

Collate a list of all the Honda part numbers you need and then check on eBay for availability of copy parts. Most plastic clips are available for significantly less.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Or the back pages of this article I have photos, part numbers and a description of each fastener. Donwload the pdf in post#1

Note that the crucial part of the OEM fasteners is the depth of the shoulder. This allows the fastener to be tightened against the shoulder, which is fractionally larger than the thickness of the plastic of the fairing. That shoulder prevent the bolt from being overtightened and cracking the plastic.

Most suppliers of fairing kits do not have shoulders on the bolts. There is just one that I have seen that provides a kit with collars to slide onto the bolt to accomplish the same job. I'll have a quick look, see if I can find it.

Quicker than I thought. I cannot make a comment about how good they are, but this is the sort of thing that I had seen before, which includes the collars.

It doesn't seem to include the push rivets though. Find the numbers in my article above and search for the number on ebay. I found a company that had 50 for not very many pounds, and they have been pretty good. Same diameter as the ones with longer heads, just a bit harder to remove if used in a recessed part of the fairing (like the inner cowl).

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
In a pinch, I cut a short piece of copper tubing to make a collar so I would not crack the plastic. It helps to have a well stocked random parts bin. I think what I used was 1/8" id tubing.

OP
OP
A44rider
Bike
St1300
Many many thanks people. Such a good forum. If I find a truly complete kit anywhere I will post it here. Jfh I have done the downloads - perfect!
Just got to remove the rusted in screws and bolts now, always fun.......

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Parts fiches are available from Fowlers, Ling's and others.

Collate a list of all the Honda part numbers you need and then check on eBay for availability of copy parts. Most plastic clips are available for significantly less.
In fact, almost every fastener on the ST1100 or ST1300 is available from Honda car dealers or on-line for much less than any motorcycle dealer will charge. Honda used all sort of parts across their entire product range of cars, generators, garden equipment, outboard motors - and motorcycles - from nuts and bolts, special plastic fasteners, seals and bearings etc. etc.

The other manufacturer who makes cars and motorcycles (namely BMW) does the same thing - but all of their parts prices are pretty outrageous (DAMHIK). The manufacturers like Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki use most of the same fasteners made by the same companies (Honda and BMW do not make their own nuts and bolts etc.) but they don't always designate them using the same part numbers.

Anyhow, if you have a sample of the clip you need, just take it into the Honda car dealership parts department and ask them to match it - or better yet, get the OEM part number off one of the fiche sources noted above and search for it on-line. Simply put the part number (with no words or other descriptors) into the Google search engine window - and press "enter".

You will likely be amazed at what comes up and in any event, you'll almost certainly pay a fraction of the motorcycle part prices - because these fasteners are not really a dedicated motorcycle parts. Things like these plastic fairing clips and push-pins as well as most of the other nuts and bolts used on our bikes are actually generic parts used in all sorts of other applications.

The key thing is to have the OEM part number - that information is golden.

Pete

OP
OP
A44rider
Bike
St1300
I took the plunge and went to speedyfasteners.com in the uk. Never heard of them but the pack arrived 18 hours after placing my order. For £45 the pack contains s/s bolts plastic clips etc.Some of the parts did not fit and I had to go to Mr honda Fowlers for them, pricy but correct fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom