Votes: 3 4.0%
  • OUTSTANDING: I have an FCE w/issues

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • REPLACED: I had an FCE w/issues and it was replaced, still have issues

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Well the bulk of the FCE postings and the survey encouraged me to jump on the FCE bandwagon. I ordered mine from Ivan's Ebay listing at flat $111.us vs. his website at $130 plus shipping. The part number seems to indicate that it is the 2nd gen (latest) component,,, ie FCE-002. Should have it through my US clearing house in a week or 10 days. I was just wondering why this topic with over 70 pages (read 'em all) and about 700 postings is not listed under ST1300 mod's ?? Also,,, anyone have any recent advice as per installation or performance ?? Cat'

Hello all:

I've ordered one of the last FCEs available from Ivan, in fact he only has one left as of this morning: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301804995563?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anyway, I am gonna roll the dice and hope that this modification works on my ST - to minimize the on/off nature of the throttle. Based on a full read of this thread, it looks like I have about a 75% chance of it working as advertised. Since it's effectiveness seems to be somehow tied to the peculiarity of the individual bike, if it doesn't work for me I'll offer it up for sale in the classifieds here. Stay tuned; may the Force be with me!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The apparent persnickety nature of the FCE is why I went instead with the G2 Throttle Tamer. It was cheaper and worked instantly consistently and reliably and is an easier install than the FCE. It made a very noticeable difference for me. But if the FCE works for you it should do more than just make the throttle more like a rheostat. Some of the riders here have said that it also gives stronger bottom grunt. Good luck Luke!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just received my fce, and the install will likely wait till spring. It really is a leap of faith,, and hope that this now discontinued item does not burn out, down the road,,, so to speak. I am considering a switched installation, as has been done by one other member. That way,,, if it does act up I can just bypass it. Cat'

If you read this entire thread, one has to concede that the FCE is a gamble. I get that. And diving into an install that requires cutting into the core wiring harness of the bike, where the computer interfaces, is certainly a sobering prospect. With all that in mind, I have decided to proceed, in the hopes that the benefits will occur on my bike.

As for the option of installing the unit with a switch box, the idea does have some appeal. But I decided instead to extend the wires forward, so the FCE unit is actually under the pillion. That way I can quickly and easily remove it, if it fails on the road. (I do think part of that process would include disconnecting the battery before the un-install, to be especially safe - which I would think would also be best practice with a switch box.)

All - I now have a complete hi-res scan of the installation instructions included with Ivan's FCE. If anyone would like me to email them a copy, please send me a PM - I am happy to do so. (I am unable to upload them to the forum.)

EARLY SUCCESS!!!
:capwin:

I just took my ST1300 out for a quick test ride, after installing an Ivan's Fuel Cutoff Eliminator. All I can say is WOW - the bike is transformed at low to medium speeds (0-35 mph). I completed a couple of very tight u-turns without using any friction zone clutching! The bike let me maneuver at idle in 1st gear! It also seems meaningfully more responsive off idle. I need to do some more thorough testing, of course, and will report back additional findings. But tonight, the throttle is like a rheostat! (Incidentally, my HealTech Gear indicator works just fine and appears 100% compatible with the FCE. Another user reported failure of his GI Pro until after he removed the FCE.)

A few notes and photos from my install: I chose to run the splice from back at the ECM up and under the pillion. That way, if I run into problems on the road, i can remove the FCE very easily. Pictures are pretty self explanatory - I crimped and soldered, and used dielectric silicone inside all bullet connectors. Since I did not have wire to match the colors of the OEM Harness, I created a key:

Ivan's FCE wiring key
Black w/red = Red
Black w/orange = Black
Green w/red = Green
Green w/white = Yellow
White w/black = Brown
White w/red = White

Spliced In.jpgNew Conection.jpgFCE Installed Under Pillion.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the throttle is like a rheostat!
Congratulations on your success! It's good to hear you got the results that the FCE promises. I'm envious of your results but don't have the guts to take the gamble or dive into the wiring harness.

Thanks Robert! It will be the weekend before I can take her on an extended ride - I can hardly wait to do so...

Best of luck to you Cat! I noticed Ivan sold the last of 8 final FCE Units on eBay. Hope all 8 of us are equally lucky!!

Be well, be safe...

Just a quick update, after a ~200 mile ride yesterday, in the mountains north of ABQ. I can confirm the positive transformation of the throttle response/control - with the installation of Ivan's FCE. In all circumstances, the bike performed flawlessly. No hiccups, no issues after downhill runs, no issue with altitude changes, nothing but silky smooth sport touring! The improvement in low speed maneuvering is a real confidence builder.

Again, I wish others the same level of success. I will continue to monitor the performance over the next few months - and will report back if any issues arise over time.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Wow, I can't believe I read all 71 pages of this thread :D. I know I'm late to the party, but I just got my 1300 two and a half years ago (a couple months before the last post), and just heard about the FCE product. I was disappointed to find that the product is no longer available. I know it didn't work for everybody but I'm willing to take a chance especially since my bike is long out of warranty. I would love to fix the fueling issue which bothers me mostly when I ride twisty mountain roads like the Dragon. Since I live in central NC, I ride those types of roads frequently. I also have an ST1100, so the difference in fueling is very obvious.

Does anyone know why it's no longer available? Was it due to the problems, or just the end of the production run? Are many of you still running it without problems? Are there any comparable products out there? Does anyone have one they're no longer using? Thanks in advance.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
... or just the end of the production run?
Mine's still running flawlessly. Out of production? I hope not & hope mine continues working because I really dislike my ST without the FCE. If it's no longer available, probably a supply/demand decision.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes it's been out of production for awhile. I thought about trying it but the results weren't dependable. It worked well for some riders and not so much for others.

I'd guess that the lack of demand based on nearly unpredictable results along with trying to support squashing of gremlins that so many seemed to have just made in unviable.

I went with the G2 Throttle Tamer because it had predictable results. I was confident it would help though not nearly to the extent of the FCE when the FCE worked as advertised. And it did. Much less potential than the FCE but less investment and potentially greater ROI.

Had Ivan figured out exactly why it worked well for some and not everyone else (excluding pilot error) I'd have tried it. Certainly more ST'ers would have too. But without that the installation (maybe more than the cost) probably put a lot of people off the idea.

And a lot of riders found it unnecessary. The G2 helped me and if the FCE had worked that well I'd be ecstatic.

hoowasat said:
But in reality, with the ST1300 growing long in the tooth, this doesn't surprise me much.
+1 It's a closed market. Long in the tooth and attrition would have meant the FCE's end anyway. But it would have achieve the cult status of the Honda wind deflector kits!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wow, I can't believe I read all 71 pages of this thread
Mellow should develop an Award badge for that! Not that there's anything wrong with posting something for that's already been mentioned in a thread for the [SUP]-n[/SUP] time. :rofl1:

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Mellow should develop an Award badge for that! Not that there's anything wrong with posting something for that's already been mentioned in a thread for the [SUP]-n[/SUP] time. :rofl1:
RobbieAG needs to adjust his viewing settings because it's only 18 pages long to me (40 posts/page).

Top Bottom