Field Test Sena RC3 Remote

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have the Sena built into the helmet and find the two small buttons inconvenient so I went for a remote. Revzilla has a store front near me and I hoped they had the bar mount available. The clerk was helpful and we went out to the the bike (ST13) to see if it would work. We were both confident it would not fit and they recommended the RC3, ok. It came just in time before the trip, took a few tries to pair and we were off.

I had fabbed up a little bracket on the ram mount between the left grip and clutch reservoir, after trying multiple options this one seemed the best for me. Applied the velcro and immediately noticed the tape was not sticking to the unit. It seemed to hold it well enough and decided to leave it on and not put it away between uses. While riding at night it was easy to use, day time, great.

It was a warm afternoon riding down a secondary road I heard the voice in my helmet (not to be confused with the ones in my head), which I don't allow with SatNavs. As I wondered what could it have been, it dawned on me a mile or two later "remote control disconnected". Uhoh, I turn around slowly looking for a mile or so, nothing. Decided to try again and ride slower that maybe it would pick it back up. 10 minutes later I get back to about the spot where I think the best chance of spotting it will be. I pull over to let the cars pass, and low and behold there it is in the median. Whohoo please don't run it over as you move to give me room was what was going through my head.

I walk over, pick it up, noticing that it had clearly been banged around. The battery cover was open and road rash was evident. Pressing the up button, nothing. Try again, wow, it works... put on the clip case holder it came with and slid it on the not so sticky taped bracket. It worked flawlessly for the remainder.

Where as Sena should get a new glue contractor, the unit has my confidence for a long time to come, and it's convenient to not fumble with the helmet.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I have been using one with my 50R. Works well. You have to establish a "connection" every time you power up the headset. At least I do. I must have gotten better adhesive. Been using it since last September. I too fabricated a radiused base to attach a RAM ball to.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had bought a pair of 30Ks for my Shoei Neotec helmets. Then I bought the Neotec II and found I did not like the way I had to mount the 30K to it, so I bought one of the Sena SLR helmet sets.

I got really frustrated with that setup, since I couldn't turn the volume up or down with gloves on (those stupid little buttons on it). I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they designed it!

And then I remembered about a year or so before, I had bought one of their wristband remotes. I connected it up and then mounted it with Velcro to my tankbag where I could get to it easily, and that solved my problem! I love it now! :thumb:

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have been using one with my 50R. Works well. You have to establish a "connection" every time you power up the headset. At least I do. I must have gotten better adhesive. Been using it since last September. I too fabricated a radiused base to attach a RAM ball to.
It sometimes pairs automatically and other times if I touch the up or down it pairs right away. Glad you have good tape, glad mine pairs...

Top Bottom