final drive noise...unloaded suspension

I wasn't sure which technical subcategory so we can move this as needed.

Under normal riding conditions, I do not hear any noise from the shaft system or rear wheel bearings. When the bike is on the center stand, rolling the rear wheel does not having any odd noise. While the bike is in gear and the wheel is under drive from the motor, I do hear a odd noise. The noise is not a constant grind or high pitch. The noise is a varying light "clunking" and only happens while the bike is in gear and clutch released.
The bike is a 2002 with 39K. It has been gently ridden by me, the 2nd owner for the past 5 years since 14K on the odometer.

Is there normally a slight noise from the driveline when engaged on the center stand? Is there a wear item (from 39K) in the drive components needing replacement ?
any ideas?

Rich

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What your hearing is the drive line with no load on it.
This is normal. If it makes the same kind of noise when riding it that's different.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If you put the bike in gear, on the centre stand, engine not running and move the rear wheel by hand both ways until it stops, that is the free play in the drivetrain. Small as it is, it will make that clunk noise, as Larry says, because there is no load against the wheel to absorb the lash movement.

OP
OP
If you put the bike in gear, on the centre stand, engine not running and move the rear wheel by hand both ways until it stops, that is the free play in the drivetrain. Small as it is, it will make that clunk noise, as Larry says, because there is no load against the wheel to absorb the lash movement.
Good to hear that it is normal ! I'm old fashion in the fact that I also question a noise or change in operation from which I've been used to.
Thanks for the insight - it will help me sleep at night and ride with a good peace of mind.

Rich

Top Bottom