Final Drive Oil

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
You are only compressing an”0” ring; not torque to a bolt,which actually is STRECHING THE bolt. A bit of silicone grease on ring,& just over finger tight is right.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Having read this thread earlier today I decided I would drop the oil and change mine out. After 12000 miles it was grey ish in colour but felt slippery and decently thick between my finger tips. Nothing nasty in it. Looked like it was good for a few miles yet but It also feels good to put fresh in. I used a good quality mineral based hypoid oil that I already had in. Of correct spec.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Having read this thread earlier today I decided I would drop the oil and change mine out. After 12000 miles it was grey ish in colour but felt slippery and decently thick between my finger tips. Nothing nasty in it. Looked like it was good for a few miles yet but It also feels good to put fresh in. I used a good quality mineral based hypoid oil that I already had in. Of correct spec.
Did you notice the magnet inside the drain bolt? It collects the minute shavings that come off the ring gears. You won't feel those bits with your fingers. It is also why most here will opt to use a superior full synthetic gear oil.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Hi Bush, yes I did, there was a noggin of sludge on that, pea sized, so I wiped it all away to clean the plug. Flushed some clean oil through the filler and out the drain hole too. Nothing nasty in it though, no pieces or anything, looked really good actually considering I expect it’s 20 years since the oil was changed! I considered a synthetic oil but I already had a new and unopened bottle of Silkolene Hypoid oil here so I wanted to use that, I’ve got loads left so I can always do an annual change it takes so little oil. I’m not doing mega miles anyway.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Spot On, Perfect, that's nice stuff, excellent choice.

I shift the the crap out of my gears during extended highway riding, personally I go for a greater degree of protection

Currently using 15 40W motor oil and 85 140W differential oil
You may want to re-think your 85-140 wt. gear oil.
On many shaft drive bikes, its too thick, and will sling around the outside edge of the housing, and force the gear oil out the top vent, allowing the gear oil to run down the housing and onto your rear wheel etc.

Top Bottom