Finally tackled the dreaded timing belt replacement :)

Kodiak

Trucker by day, rider by night. Noob at all times.
Bike
1991 ST-1100
STOC #
As the title says, my brother and I finally got a new timing belt installed on my ST @ 83,115 miles. Good....frickin'....GOD was it a chore! Luckily, the timing didn't shift much when we took the old belt off and it still looked to be in really good shape, too. Looked like an OEM belt since you could still make out the Honda logos and P/N, along with the little swirl pattern on the teeth of it. Didn't looked frayed at all either, so I'm gonna hold onto it as an emergency spare if myself or anyone else needs it.

Also got the rear tire swapped out with a brand new Michelin Commander II and that was another "fun" job in itself. Put a brand new rear brake rotor on it, too. All in all, quite a bit of maintenance done over the last two days and it should be good for another long while :)

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Yea, good job. What Year? That belt IS a project !
But U got it right by keeping the timing in
the right place. Satisfaction in doing it Urself.
Did mine a little farther down the road,
at ABOUT 100K miles. Same result- old 1 looked almost brand new !
Got over 150K out of the 2nd one !
( 91SSMST )
Enjoy the ride.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Did you guys do the water pump/pulleys while you were in there?

I didn't on my 91, and regretted it. Gotta do the 99 shortly an face the same decision again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Trucker by day, rider by night. Noob at all times.
Bike
1991 ST-1100
STOC #
You mean replace them? If so, no, we didn't, only checked them for how they feel while spinning. They felt good, so we didn't bother. The cam and crank gears all looked brand new, too.

Top Bottom