First ABS Modulator Failure

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I've been repairing motorcycle ABS modulators for several years but just ran into the first one which could not be repaired. Really bummed out as feel as though I've let someone down. Don't see many ST1300 modulators but thinking that more may start coming in because those bikes are beginning to age.

Having been through a lot of modulators, I'm going to stick my neck out and assert that changing brake fluid in the main braking system on a yearly basis will reduce the likelihood of a modulator failure. The ABS1 modulator found in the pre-1996 ST1100's has a brake fluid circuit within the modulator which cannot be changed without disassembly but there will be some osmosis transfer of moisture along the sealing surfaces. Keeping clean fluid in the main circuit will not be detrimental and could likely have a positive effect over time in reducing corrosion and build-up of brake fluid percipitates.

The ABS2 (1996 & up ST1100) have brake fluid in the "transfer circuit" rather than throughout the modulator and so changing main brake system fluid should assist in reducing valving issues which make up some of the ABS2 failures.

The ST1300 uses an ABS2-cousin modulator which will also benefit from main brake system fluid change. The non-repairable unit had failure of the valve retainer sleeves which had turned brittle. The owner had relatively recently acquired the bike so what the fluid history was is unknow, or at least he did not reference anything. He operates a bike suspension business in Alaska and from his correspondence is no body's fool by any stretch. I'm wishing he was closer as would hav gladly offered to do his repair for some consultation but unfortunately the modulator is NR.

Combination message to stick my neck out to assert that there is a benefit to modulator life in changing brake fluid yearly and to to vent over feeling like crap that couldn't have parts made. Problem is that there's no way of determining the materials so too risky to have someone machine our of nylon, teflon, or some other plastic.

I do wonder about possible risk to use of a silicone based or other of the "magic" products rather than a conventional fluid. I'd not be trying that on an ABS bike as the modulators are far to expensive to risk on a possible chemical incompatabilty.

The garage looks empty with only the DR200 now that ST11 and GS850G are long gone. No urge to ride. Still doing a steady stream of older bikes for folks so that keeps the bike urge in check without having to climb on board. I must be going bonkers to prefer working on them to riding. ;)

Had a long talk with one of the Honda technical trainers and was able to pass on some information which may be useful to someone through them. Great guy, maintains my confidence in Honda's committment to training their techs.

Hope all is well with those I know and those I don't. The tech side here seems to be getting lighter all the time which is maybe a good thing?

Best to all,

Norm

Top Bottom