First and Last Generation Goldwings

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
wish you still had it? Like all our first bikes.
My first bike was '72 CL450, just like this one:

Added: And, yes, I'd like to have one today, as long as it's not my only bike.

Also added: Hey, this is the first time I've ever realized that it and my ST are the same color!

1631059931047.png

Last edited:
Bike
HD VROD
1965 Harley-Davidson M-65. Traded a Sears 3 hp mini bike for it, which I bought with paper route money! A real motorcycle, with a clutch and front brakes! I promptly removed the fenders, muffler, street tires, and seat. Even at 11, I was a vice grips savant!

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I had three 1978 GL1000's. All were low mile garage sale finds that I rebuilt. Rebuilt everything with soft parts in it. Carbs were a bit fiddly at times but never a real problem. Timing on all the bikes required what seemed like monthly adjustment or performance suffered. Road manners were good but it was a bit cramped for two on road trips.
Never could get used to the 'rolling sofa' look of the later model Goldwings although friends who owned them had no issues with them.
Moved up to ST's.
The main issue I had w/ my 1975 GW was the dual points setup. As Tournut posted, continuing problems with the timing and monthly maintenance for that was frustrating. The add on "electronic ignition" system (about $75) I added in 1977 was high priced, but made a huge difference on mine.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The main issue I had w/ my 1975 GW was the dual points setup. As Tournut posted, continuing problems with the timing and monthly maintenance for that was frustrating. The add on "electronic ignition" system (about $75) I added in 1977 was high priced, but made a huge difference on mine.
As a side story: I had a '73 CB750, which also had dual points, but never put in an electronic replacement. I remember that I used the turn-signal beeper as the points-opening indicator instead of a bulb. Made it much easier to set them just right.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
As a side story: I had a '73 CB750, I remember that I used the turn-signal beeper as the points-opening indicator instead of a bulb. Made it much easier to set them just right.
I don't get that one...
I remember filing the 2 sets of points, adjusting the gap and I think, then I used a timing light for fine tuning...that was a long time ago.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I don't get that one...
I remember filing the 2 sets of points, adjusting the gap and I think, then I used a timing light for fine tuning...that was a long time ago.
I'm talking about setting the timing statically, so the points open at the timing mark.

Reactions: TOS
Top Bottom