First Impressions of Avon AV45/46-ST's

Byron

STOC #
Well I've replaced my original OEM Dunlop's on my 2006. As you can see by the subject line I chose the Avon Azaro-ST 45 & 46. I did the change myself including the balancing. Here is a link to what I used and the process I followed. Here are some of my observations after basically the first tank of gas.

With both the tires air'd up to 42 psi, as I forgot Avon recommended 36 psi for the front with solo rider, it felt like I was on a different bike. The ride was softer yet you still felt what was being riden over. It also seemed to be rolling easier in a straight line as well as when you rolled it from side-to-side.

I have a slight theory here but can't really validate it. If you look at the first attached photo of the front tire moving from the outside toward the middle you will see that the chicken strip is clean and smooth. Next to it is a narrow lite grey strip and then the scuffed rubber. It is said that the surface of new tires are slick so you need to be careful for the first X number of miles. Some of that easy rolling feel has gone away with the first tank of gas. The reason I think it was rolling easier was the surface of the tire had not been scuffed away to expose core rubber. I don't know if it's a coating or simply a crust from the molding process that has to be worn away but I could feel the difference.

Anyway, the first day I take my local mountain route in reverse which is up to Mt. Baldy, across Glendora Ridge Road to Glendora Mountain Road to East Fork Road to San Gabriel Canyon Road (Hwy 39). I'm taking it easy only doing 25 - 30 mph in the tight turns and 45 + or - mph down 39. The thing I notice the most is that there is no transition from straight ahead to leaned into a turn and back again. Almost like your driving a straight line just leaned over part of the time. I also noticed that I was making little or no corrections to my line when going through the turns. It was almost as if all you needed to do was look where you wanted to go and it just went there.

Now I hadn't really found anything wrong with the OEM Dunlop's but the AV45/46's just felt better on the ground and for confidence level. On my confidence scale, with a range from 1 to 5, I'd put the Dunlop's at 3 as a starting point. The Avon's I'd rate as a 4+.

The next day (Sunday) I rode to the Rock Store with Marshal and again I was taking it easy and had the same GREAT! feeling with the new tires. It was like you were on rails when you leaned it into a turn. With the Dunlop's in the same turns I just seemed to be making more corrections with a lower confidence level.

Monday night after work I remember about the 36 psi front pressure and air down the tire. It was up to my route again only this time I was going to push is a little. I didn't get crazy because I don't consider myself an aggressive rider just someone who likes the canyons and hills. Without really trying or pushing the limit I was taking turns at 5 mph faster with the same or higher confidence level then I did with the Dunlop's. If I took the turn at the same speed with the Dunlop's I would have felt like I was on the edge.

Also, whenever I clipped a fallen rock on the road the tires seemed to just roll over it instead of climb it when the Dunlop's were on. I know it sounds like I might not have been happy with the Dunlop's but that is not true, I liked them because I didn't have anything recent to compare them too. Would I go back to the Dunlop's, probably not.

So far the AV45/46's don't seem to want to follow the rain grooves of the California highways or make any noise. Time will tell how long they wear.

For those that are concerned because Avon's weren't rated for the ST I believe that is in the past. Besides e-mailing Avon I checked the American and European sites and they both list these same tires for the ST1300.

Anyway that's one man's initial impressions of the AV45/46's from Avon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Byron, a few months ago I switched to Michelin's. Similar opinion you have with your Avon's. (previous tire was the Bridgstones). Easier turning, softer ride, yet very stable. Haven't tested on wet yet--. Yea, they do have a verylow frequency hummm--now i dont evern hear it unless I flip up my Flip. Got 10k on the Stones--not bad -will see how the Mich's hold up. BTW-they don't use rubber in tires--but you knew that.:rolleyes:

STOC #
I ran 2 sets of 45/46. I have since switched to the Pilot Roads. The 45/46 were pretty good. I got 9-11k out of the rear. Handeling was fair, they tended to get uncomfortable with tar snakes and dirty air behind 18's. Since switching to PR's these issues have just about disappeared.

Time2Work.
Neil S.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Brad,

Were you running the AV45/46 on your 1100 or one of their other models? I'm not really a peg dragger but I can feel these stick better than the Dunlop's I removed.

Bike
ST1300 '06
I like the Avon Brand over the others mentioned. I had a set of the 45/46 st's on my supermoto bike. I took them off to put some 80/20 dual sport tires the Avon offers. I plan on putting the Avons on the ST when the Bridgestones wear out. I have 5k on the bike now and the tires still look very good.
I originaly had Metzler Sportecs on the supermoto which I burned off in 3,000 miles. They really stuck better than the Avon's but $200 every 3k is to rich for my blood.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I have been running Excedras on my 1100 for the last 4 years and was looking for a change so I have ordered Avons. I send a reply about my observations.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
STay froSTy said:
I have been running Excedras on my 1100 for the last 4 years and was looking for a change so I have ordered Avons. I send a reply about my observations.

If you are riding a ST1100 stick with the Excedras. all else will induce low speed Decel head shake. I know as I rode a 1100 for Ten years. If you are Riding a ST1300 the Avon 45/46 are the tire to have. I have had my ST1300 for almost 4 years (42000 miles) and have run the Avons. Beware tires are like opinions, every one has a different thought.:03biker: :D

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I ran the AV45/46 on my 03 and I liked them. I got 11k oout of them. I put on PR's and I am not thrilled they grip as well but are very noisy compared to the Avons. I always ran mine at 42PSI front and rear. :03biker:

Yes, opinions do vary. I have an ST11 with the Avons, don't get any headshake at all. This issue seems to vary from bike to bike and not just related to a a particular tyre. 36/42 are good pressuers to run. I have been through one front Avon, no abnormal wear issues. I got 10,000kms out of it, but it seems like we get less distance on Australian roads. Rear still going ok, about 2/3rds worn

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
ChucksKLRST said:
If you are riding a ST1100 stick with the Excedras. all else will induce low speed Decel head shake. I know as I rode a 1100 for Ten years. If you are Riding a ST1300 the Avon 45/46 are the tire to have. I have had my ST1300 for almost 4 years (42000 miles) and have run the Avons. Beware tires are like opinions, every one has a different thought.:03biker: :D
Chuck, I'd agree with you if you have a ST1100 standard or a pre-1995 abs model. For 1996 and later ST1100 ABS models, which use the 120 front, radials are recommended. I'm on my second set of Azaros and am quite pleased with them.

They do headshake though. I've yet to find a 120 front radial that doesn't. A lot of it has to do with loading though, when loaded for a trip with a lot of rear weight, the headshake is a lot worse than when the bike isn't loaded.

I would not hesitate to use the BT020. I ran a BT020 when I got my ST11, good tyre as well, mileage is at least half again better than the Z6s and Avons. As the Avons are a bit cheaper than the BT020s works out about the same cost. The Avons are more readily available around here as well. And no headshake or any such problem with any of these tyres, even when severely worn.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I have a new set of Avons on my ST and I do have alittle bit of headshake at low speed but I am not concerned....still scrubbing the tires in. That headshake is probably coming from the tread pattern. Let me get in 150 miles and I know more. :)

Clair

'01 ST1100
I put on the Avon AV45/46 on my '01 ST1100 about 3,500 miles ago. So far I love them. This was my first tire replacement on the ST since I bought it. Previously it had Dunlop D205's ... dunno of those were stock or not, probably not, bike had 15K miles on it when I bought it. Anyway I love the Avon's. Ive used them on a track day at Miller Motorsports Park (for a Sport Touring ART Class), ridden them in 100+ heat, mountain twisties, rain, sleet, sheep pies, and so on. Slab riding is around 75-80 mph.

I've felt very good on the tires in all conditions. I have no isses following big trucks, passing them, or being passed by them. Curves, sweepers, twisties all seem fine with the tire. With hard braking I've felt no wobbling. When it's time to get new ones I'll stick with the Avons. AT least that's my impression now, but then again I onlyl have about 3500 miles on these.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Clair,

Well if it's any consolation I have about 8,000 or so miles on mine now. In fact I just picked up my second set so I would have them on hand when these are ready for the change. They look like they've got at least a couple of thousand still left in them. It's been dry all summer so have no idea about in the wet but otherwise I love them.

Last night while out doing a short local ride, after finishing a 16,000 mile service, I hit a rock with the front tire. I remembered how the Dunlop OEM's bounced or jumped off the rocks but the Avon's seemed to absorb them more. It was still a surprise and a jarring feel but not harsh or causing any steering issues.

I thought about buying a different brand to test but figured why since these were working so well for me.

Top Bottom