First Impressions of the new Avon STorm Ultras

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just got back from a 350+ mile run on a brand new set of the Avon Storm Ultras that Tim at Two Brothers got to me quickly! The bike was my 97 ABS ST1100 which has Works Springs with 10 wt oil in the front, Works Pro Racer shock in the back, 49,000+ miles on the clock. Roads varied from wet and slick this morning to nice and dry this afternoon. I stayed on all backroads with a good combination of twisties and sweepers and types of pavement.

1. They stay as planted as good as the Z6s I've ran before, perhaps a bit better than the previous Storms.
2. My prior Avons (Azaro, Storms) usually made a bit of racket - these are very quiet.
3. I did not balance the tires when I installed them :)eek:) but they were very smooth - even up to short bursts of triple digits (did I say that? ;)).
4. Very comfortable grip in the wet - more grip that I wanted to use!

I am very pleased so far with them but the next big question will be the mileage that I get out of a set - but I guess that will take a few days .... ;-)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I am very pleased so far with them but the next big question will be the mileage that I get out of a set - but I guess that will take a few days .... ;-)
I can offer to help with that... come on over and I'll take you out to eat lunch!
:)

Byron

STOC #
I haven't been keeping up with my tires. Whats the difference between these and the regular storms?
The Ultra 2 version is supposed to have increased mileage due to harder compound in the center tread area. Minor tread pattern change which might explain the quieter nature. I thought I read or heard that they went from fiber belts to steel belts too.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Good review Uncle Phil , sounds like a great tire combo ! I like that you noted their good balance,
and quiet ride , again thanks and keep us abreast on their wear and so forth !

:slv13: MIKE

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I usually average around 7-8,000 on the rears for the old Storms (down to the wear bars), and around 9-10,000 on the fronts (down to the wear bars). I was getting around 5-7,000 on the Z6s. I've got to get the other set of Ultras mounted on SweetTreat (my 02 ABS) since the baby needs new shoes. You probably ought to check with Tim to see what the current price is since these are new.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by George
Call me if he shows up, Mark, I'll join in.
Me too! I'm a long term STorm guy. I think I've used 9 of the originals. My current back might be a 'hybred'. There is a small difference in tread, still say STorm (not ultra).

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Ok, I got a set of Avon Storm 2 Ultras installed today. I can only give an initial impression since I have ridden less than 30 miles on them.
My previous tires were an Avon Storm on front and a PR2 on the back. Both had at least a few hundred miles of life left.

Riding out the parking lot the Avon 2's felt very squirrely, I almost dabbed my foot down making a slow right turn. The tires felt skinnier than they are and the bike wanted to fall over when starting to lean into a turn. I rode straight home and promptly scrubbed them with sandpaper and wiped them down with alcohol, they rode much better after that.

The center of the front tire looks and feels taller, I can see the profile radius is smaller in the middle and they do make the bike feel like it falls into turns faster but once the bike is leaning the tires seem to grip pretty good on my favorite sweeping turns close to home. Overall the grip in back feels not quite as strong as the PR2 did when it was new. I suspect these new Avons need more break-in miles before they can be fairly judged.

I can say one positive thing - they track noticeably straight and steadier at speed. The wind was blowing 30-40 mph today. The bike felt steady as a rock which is unusual for me since I have an extra large windshield, under-mirror wind wings, and fairing wind deflectors. With my previous tires the bike would be getting knocked all over in that kind of wind.

I'll write more after I have a few hundred miles on them.

BTW - I shopped prices on line, Two Brothers Tires did have the best price on line but the local dealer here Joe Harrison Motorsports, sells the tires 25% less when they install them.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
GERRY - I'm sure you probably know this already, but new tires are covered with what I call 'tire snot' - a slick compound to release them from their manufacturing mold (or so I've been told). I call it 'snot' cause that's how slick it is! ;-) It usually takes about 100 miles for me to wear this stuff off. I always take it really easy until I get past the century mark on them - I was on wet roads for the first 100 miles and I was really careful so I didn't end up on the ground! I'll be interested as how the Avons work for you on the ST1300. I haven't tried the PR2s but sure have heard good things about them.

Bike
Super Tenere
I usually average around 7-8,000 on the rears for the old Storms (down to the wear bars), and around 9-10,000 on the fronts (down to the wear bars).
That's about the same that I get from the Storms on my ST1300. I'm running Bridgestones right now here in flat/straight Florida as they are quite a bit less costwise than the Avons but plan on putting on a new set of Avon's for my west trip this Spring. I'm hoping that you report a significant improvement in the mileage on these new tires as my trip is in the 10K mile range and I really would like to avoid a tire change along the way. -JEP-

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I'm gonna give one a whirl for my rear tire. I think I'll stick with the normal Storm up front because they last longer than the rears. Maybe the front Storm will wear out at the same time the Storm Ultra 2 wears out in the rear...

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
GERRY - I'm sure you probably know this already, but new tires are covered with what I call 'tire snot' - a slick compound to release them from their manufacturing mold (or so I've been told). I call it 'snot' cause that's how slick it is! ;-) It usually takes about 100 miles for me to wear this stuff off. I always take it really easy until I get past the century mark on them - I was on wet roads for the first 100 miles and I was really careful so I didn't end up on the ground! I'll be interested as how the Avons work for you on the ST1300. I haven't tried the PR2s but sure have heard good things about them.
I was told by my tire dude the "snot" is water soluble. Is this really the case? I had a ride the following day with a ton of twisties, so I rode home and washed the tires. All seemed good in traction land.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The service guys usually advise me to be careful and to allow the tires a chance to scrub in but this is the first time I really felt that mold release stuff.
I figured even if I scrub in the center on the tire from riding a few hundred miles I might feel a loss of traction the first time I lean it over. I didn't want any surprises so I scrubbed the tires almost to the edges.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Water soluble? Hmm, I don't know. I know is it makes the tire 'shiny' and slick! ;-) I did run through some wet roads and they ain't shiny no more. So maybe water does take it off - that would be good news! I am hoping the milage is better cause my last trip out west (8,000+ miles) I was way past the wearbars on the rear when I made it back to the Holler. :eek::

Top Bottom