First oil and filter change

Bike
2013 ST1300A
Just finished my first oil and filter change (plus final drive oil change) on my ST1300. All went very well until I finished replacing the cylinder head cover and maintenance cover. I was just congratulating myself on a job well done when I noticed the oil filler cap sitting on the seat of the bike - D'oh!

Better to notice it then I guess rather than ride off and have it blow oil out of the filler hole. I'm just hoping I'm not the first idiot to do this :rolleyes::rofl1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Just finished my first oil and filter change (plus final drive oil change) on my ST1300. All went very well until I finished replacing the cylinder head cover and maintenance cover. I was just congratulating myself on a job well done when I noticed the oil filler cap sitting on the seat of the bike - D'oh!

Better to notice it then I guess rather than ride off and have it blow oil out of the filler hole. I'm just hoping I'm not the first idiot to do this :rolleyes::rofl1:
No. No you are not. Rode with a fellow who added oil and forgot the oil fill cap. Traveling behind him we were wondering where all the oil was coming from coating our motorcycles. So it does happen:)

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I recently did my first oil change. After adding about 4 quarts I was surprised not to see it accumulating in the inspection window. I went through the initial shock of "maybe I didn't put the oil in the oil fill but somewhere else"! Reinspected everything, put the cap on, ran the engine for a minute or so, shut it off and only then does the new oil show in the window. Odd that it does this when a dipstick will slowly show new oil as it's being added.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
How about seeing the drain plug after 2l of oil has been added to engine.Lucky drain pan was still under there.Not me though.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
So, I rode from Boston to Pagosa Springs Co, and needed a oil change. I discovered there were no bike shops in Pagosa, so I went to Walmart and bought a gal of thirty something auto oil. I didn't have a wrench, so I hand tightened the filter and put the bike back together. The next day, I left for Bryce Canyon. After a while, I pulled over and discovered my oil was leaking all over the road and bike. Oil everywhere. So, on the side of the road, I had to remove the plastic and do the rag on a stick trick to tighten the filter more. Actually, it was the t-shirt on a stick trick. On my way back to Pagosa, I stopped in Durango for a new filter, wrench and the proper oil. What. A. Mess!

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
It's also easy to misplace the o-ring in the filler cap. The results in a fine mist of oil coating the R pannier after riding highways .

Top Bottom