First Real Ride with the STeed - SF to LA and back

Bike
FZ6
I picked up my ST1300PA a couple of months ago, and have been working on it to bring it up to snuff mechanically. Basic stuff, like changing all the fluids and other fun new owner tasks.
I also entered into my first police rodeo competiton with it, which was very fun. But I wanted to finally use the bike for what it was designed to do: eat miles.

I decided to visit a friend I LA. I wanted to explore routes inland, as Highway 1 had multiple closures along the coast because of slides - it's been a rainy winter here in California.

Here are some of the highlights/ best roads of the trip I encourage you to check out when you're in the area. A lot of these are well known - I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here. But here goes!

Angeles Crest/ Angeles National forest: 100% worth the trip.
I now understand the popularity of this road. Very twisty, some fast sweepers but a lot of tight direction changes back to back.
vlcsnap-2024-05-08-10h54m23s636.png

This is where the ST shines for me - for such a heavy bike, it actually changed directions very well and transitions flow very smoothly.
vlcsnap-2024-05-08-10h54m52s843.png
IMG_0534.JPG

33, between Lockwood valley rd and Ojai: Spectacular
This road has a couple of caltrans lights, so budget extra time if you want to ride it. It's definitely still a great highlight of the trip - great road surface and not a lot of traffic.
2024_05_02_33_2.png
2024_05_02_33-stop.png

58 was a total surprise to me. Great addition if you are going inland between LA-SF. Lots of grassy hills, very serene feeling, and cattle mooing calmly in the valley.
2024_05_02_58_hill.png
2024_05_02_58_grass.png

Finally ended the trip by snaking by Indian Valley Road, which had somewhat rough surface but very pretty scenery to look at.
2024_05_02_Indian Valley Rd_2.png
IMG_0584.JPG

The ST did the sport touring thing very well. It's the first bike of its kind I owned - before this, I owned naked and semi naked bikes. The ability to do 450 miles and not feel it is pretty tremendous and the large carrying capacity is extremely practical.
I love the engine - the low grunt is great when going through switchbacks and on uphills, and it's devoid of any "buzz" on the highway. Honda really engineered this thing for a purpose: to dispose of miles.
I'm already planning my next trip on the Steed - a big thanks to this forum for providing good advice when fixing up this bike.
2024_05_02_Indian Valley Cow.png

Attaching the GPX track of my return trip from LA to SF via malibu, 33, 58 and Indian Valley.

Attachments

• West Hollywood - SR_2.gpx
    357 KB · Views: 13
Thanks obo! Been lurking for a while now, it's great how many guides/write ups of knowledge are on this site.

Really nice place! I crossed a black st on 58 - might have been someone from the forum!
I have not been on 58 for about 50 days now.

Back
Top Bottom