First service since buy my '03 ST1300

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Hello, Ill be doing my First service since buying my "03 ST1300.
Advice will be appreciated.
48K miles, no info on previous work.

I plan on doing the following

1-Replacing brake fluid, and clutch fluid.
2-Oil and filter
3-Air Filter
4-Spark Plugs
5-replace coolant
6-rear spline grease
7-check valve clearance
8-rear diff fluid

Also do I need todo Starter Valve Sync, I have gauges.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Why would anyone do a brake flush and NOT do a clutch flush while the equipment and brake juice were out and at hand?

Do you have maintenance records? I'm sure Larry would go over your bike from stem to stern and find a lot of things that need attention. Absent maint. records, I'd start at the front and go over the whole bike - pull the brake pads, clean the pistons, replace the pads, check torque on the fork's clamps, check the steering head bearings (a quick and easy check needing no tools, pull the fairings and look over wiring connectors (especially the 23 pin connector behind the headlight - ground problems are frequent with this. Proceed rearward.....

OP
OP
rtbmrgl

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Why would anyone do a brake flush and NOT do a clutch flush while the equipment and brake juice were out and at hand?

Do you have maintenance records? I'm sure Larry would go over your bike from stem to stern and find a lot of things that need attention. Absent maint. records, I'd start at the front and go over the whole bike - pull the brake pads, clean the pistons, replace the pads, check torque on the fork's clamps, check the steering head bearings (a quick and easy check needing no tools, pull the fairings and look over wiring connectors (especially the 23 pin connector behind the headlight - ground problems are frequent with this. Proceed rearward.....
No need to worry, I just forgot to mention the clutch flush, you can relax now,.;):thumb:
Thanks for info.

If you have to adjust the valves, which are probably within specs, adjust them on the loose side. Then you probably will never have to worry about them again.
It would also be a good time to change the fork oil. I recommend changing the differential oil every other oil change, It will open up a lot of discussion but with the amount of oil involved we aren't talking about a lot of investment

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you delve into the 5-way Tee, add some hose so you can position it above the throttle bodies. That way, you will not have to dig as deeply should you ever have to clean it again.

OP
OP
rtbmrgl

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
If you delve into the 5-way Tee, add some hose so you can position it above the throttle bodies. That way, you will not have to dig as deeply should you ever have to clean it again.
.Are there two 5-way Tees? I read there is one you can get to without removing the the throttle bodies.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
.Are there two 5-way Tees? I read there is one you can get to without removing the the throttle bodies.
It's the small Tee that clogs. It connects all intake throat vacuums together. But if your bike is running good it's a waste of your time to mess with that. Also generally a waste to "sync" the idle circuits unless it's running "rough".

OP
OP
rtbmrgl

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
It's the small Tee that clogs. It connects all intake throat vacuums together. But if your bike is running good it's a waste of your time to mess with that. Also generally a waste to "sync" the idle circuits unless it's running "rough".
The bike runs great, it has a very, almost non noticeable hesitation at about 1/16-throttle at slow speeds. Never feel it riding.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Check the counter balancers? You have lots of reading to do with that list and all the info available here!

Top Bottom