First Tipover

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Well I've finally done it - it took eleven years but now I'm in the Tipover Club .

Exhausted from battening down two job sites for today's predicted high winds/ high tides I foolishly tried to load the ST on the lift by myself. This is the first time I have ever tried to put it on a lift - here is the result !

image.jpg image.jpg
Do I understand correctly that mirrors are hard to come by ? This bike is (was ) mint , unsratched , low miles .

Fortunately the chair that did the damage probably saved my leg . Feel free to vote for me in the next
" Who's the jackass " contest .
Still sulking - Richard

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Today’s disasters often equate to tomorrows great tales. Sorry to hear of the mishap, but thanks for sharing, with pics even!

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I feel your pain. The ST is a top heavy brute and once it starts to go just get out of the way.

I just got a used 30" wide lift and several people have advised to built raised platforms on the side so I can ride it up and have somewhere to place my feet, then get the side stand down and then put it on the center stand.

If it doesn't work the way I hope it should then I've probably be posting a Tipover Tale in a month or so.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Total bummer, sorry to see that. I always get help when putting my bike on the centerstand, on the ground or on a lift. Why risk injury and damage? (unless you are all alone and have no help)

Bike
2005 ST1300
For an ST1300, mirrors and mirror covers are not hard to get. I lost a brand new one on the highway when i took the bike out for a shakedown ride after laying it up for 9 months to work on it. I jumped on the highway and twisted the throttle hard. The bike took off and so did the left hand mirror cover, guess who hadn't used the cable tie thingy to prevent just that!
I ordered it from Partzilla that night and received it a few days later. Used cable ties this time!!

For an ST1100, I believe they are a little more difficult to source

OP
OP
Rdt1953
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Great minds think alike. I intended to build platforms on either side just as you - ( the road to hell is paved with good intentions, blah blah blah ) - but I had not gotten to it and the tide was rising . I tried to walk it up on my hip under power but started to loose it so decided to ride it up - all was well until my feet wouldn't reach the floor . The rest , as they say , is history

Bike
Honda ST1300
Good luck with getting the bike back to its former glory. I feel sure you will. Thank goodness no-one was hurt! We all make mistakes.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh dear. I went through exactly the same thought processes after Santa bought me my first ramp for Christmas. My first intention was to ride it up, but fortunately I thought about where my feet would end up, and decided against. Instead, I walked it up in gear and with engine running. I can reach the throttle and clutch Ok. Nerve racking first time, but I managed it. Surprisingly, it was much easier than I thought to put it up on the centre stand from there.

So I was full of confidence when it came to reverse the process. I've done this before on a trailer ramp. One good pull and let the bike balance itself until it slows. For good measure, I put the side stand down, so that as it came to as top I could just let it tipple over to the left hand side. Brilliant plan. The wheel got half way down the ramp and there was a screech of metal on metal and the bike came to a stop, with me frantically trying to stop it from tipping to the right, and try to work out what had gone wrong. Turned out that as the rear wheel started to roll down the ramp, the height of the centre of the bike reduced and, the 'corner' where ramp meets platform was high enough to catch the side stand. Damn. That's ok, I thought, start the engine, drive it back up. Ah. The side stand is down. I couldn't go and get help - it wasn't balanced. I couldn't push it up the slope again: too heavy. Hmmmm.

Bike
2003 ST1300 A
I feel your pain. Dropped mine for the first time riding with some guys I’ve never ridden with before this November. Stopped at the top of a hill (on the slight decline) to take some pics, didn’t leave the bike in gear and it rolled forward and then 40 feet down a hill stopping only after a sapling got in its way. Nice boyscout and his dad were driving by and pulled it up the hill with their truck. Ron Ayers is my parts supplier of choice. Waiting on one more piece but basically mirror cover, mirror, turn signal and various fasteners. Was able to ride it home with only a bruised ego. Used the downtime change oil, brakes, install a secondary tail light and take care of some other overdue stuff. Ready to ride after this damn nor’easter!

Bike
burgman 650/2010 st
The bike took off and so did the left hand mirror cover, guess who hadn't used the cable tie thingy to prevent just that!
I ordered it from Partzilla that night and received it a few days later. Used cable ties this time!!
What is the cable tie thingy and how do you use it??????

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I always find it a sad sight to see an ST lying on its side. FWIW I installed a chock on my lift. I walk beside it while using engine power to drive the bike up on to the lift and in to the chock which holds it upright for me. I find it quite easy using this method.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
So sorry to hear about your mishap......
I ran my 1300 over with my truck.....backed into it and knocked it off the side stand.....$600+ later, new right side fairing....it is all good again.
It's just money........right???

ToddC

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Oh bummer. Money And a little sheepish pride lost You were not hurt and the bike will be be as good as new. Darn near dropped the tiger yesterday moving it about the garage. I think a little more gym time to build up the arm strength for me. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom