FJR info

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Friend is looking at an '03 FJR 3300mile garage kept $6900 asking.
Anything specific to look for in FJR's and what would be lacking as opposed to a current model? Price seems a little high? No farkles are listed whats wit dat:confused:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Anything specific to look for in FJR's and what would be lacking as opposed to a current model? Price seems a little high? No farkles are listed whats wit dat:confused:
The FJR forums will give you more info, but I believe the valve ticking issue was late '04-'05. Not sure about tranny issues being a real issue......
However, for not a lot more money, why not go Gen2 (2006 or later) where the heat issues were resolved with slight redesign (and other improvements).

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
3300 miles?? Probably the only thing changed from factory is oil and filter, maybe battery by now. $6900 is too much.

Full retail value is $5545 per KBB, but it probably gets a couple hundred more considering low miles and presuming that it is in pristine condition, and also a few hundred less as it is a private sale.

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I'd recommend that your friend check out one of the FJR forums to ask that question. www.fjrforum.com is one that I used to reference a lot when I was looking at FJRs.

There are significant differences between the Gen I ('03 - '05) and the Gen II bikes ('06 +), and I'd recommend looking at the Gen IIs only. You can see a comparison of the different years HERE.

The '03 seems to me to be a Gen O, as it varies quite a bit from the '04 and '05 models (no ABS available, smaller rotors, 30 lbs lighter, etc.) The Gen Is have a serious heat issue and there is a small percentage of them that have the valve "tick" problem. I usually get nervous about a mcahine that got 400 miles per year only! It has likely sat for months (or years) at a time.

There are lots of deals right now on FJR's. I got a great deal on my '07 with 11K on the clock and some farkles for not a whole lot more than that particular '03, which is seriously over-priced.

The Feejer's a great sport-touring bike and I think a Gen III will be out in 2011 to compete with the new Connie and VFR1200. Even so, the Gen IIs don't have any major issues that cannot be resolved easily. (The '06 and '07 models have a nasty drive-line on/off abruptness that needs a Power Commander to really correct.)

Just pick the color you like!

Rick

Top Bottom