FJR Tire wear

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Absolutely.... go to the FJR forums and do a search for Racing905 crash bars, Benelux sliders for the rear... I have both and highly recommend them. There is also a set of police crash bars.... the forums and websites have photos.

As for tires, I like the Z6's which last me about 15,000 kms (9,000mi) or so and wear fairly evenly. I am now trying a PR2 on the rear with a Z6 front. So far, looks like the PR2 will last longer, good grip, and getting to be the tire of choice on FJR's.
Hey Ray,

You're always one step ahead of me! I have front sliders already and am looking at the Benelux sliders for the rear. The Racing 905 units seems very obtrusive and, well, UGLY.

I'm also running Z6 front & rear on my Feejer and am real happy with them. One comment is that they tend to howl quite a bit in turns, and the howling increases as they wear. No degradation in performance - just an observation.

However, the FJR folks rave about the PR2s so much that I'm going to try them next time I change tires.

(Man, the FJR forum has been dead quiet! Did everybody go over to the "other" forum?)

Cheers!
Rick

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Pretty active over here ....... http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?

Yes, Rick, the 905 bars are not as integrated as Hondas tipover bars, but IMHO, very functional and have saved me $$$ (DAMHIK). I think I'd rather have those than regular sliders. I made sliders for the 905's.

I keep my Z6's 40/42, but the rear tends to cup a bit, thus the howl, although not really bad on mine. I find tread pattern contributes to severity of cupping.... you'll like the PR2's. I kept a Z6 on the front and I like its tread pattern better (and uniform wear).

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Pretty active over here ....... http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?

Yes, Rick, the 905 bars are not as integrated as Hondas tipover bars, but IMHO, very functional and have saved me $$$ (DAMHIK). I think I'd rather have those than regular sliders. I made sliders for the 905's.

I keep my Z6's 40/42, but the rear tends to cup a bit, thus the howl, although not really bad on mine. I find tread pattern contributes to severity of cupping.... you'll like the PR2's. I kept a Z6 on the front and I like its tread pattern better (and uniform wear).
Well, I've got 6K on my front Z6 and am probably at 80% wear right now, so looking at replacing them soon. Planning about a 1K ride (Lee Vining RTE) 8/20 to 8/22, so I'll probably replace the front right after that. I've got about 4K on the rears and probably 50% left on them. I'm not experiencing cupping on the tires on this bike, and I think it may have a lot to do with my suspension setup. I also run 40/42.

I'm fortunate to not have dropped the FJR (or ST for that matter)! I really do need to get some rear protection though while my luck is holding out! Thanks for your comments on the 905s. The bike had been dropped on one side by previous owner, so my right mirror has been glued back together and I've got some scuffing on the tupperware and saddlebag. He gave me about $2K off the price becuase of that! I was going to get it fixed right away, but it's hardly moticeable, so I've never bothered. I guess I should replace the mirror, but I might just replace them with the one that are wider (FZ1 mirrors, I think.)

Rick

Top Bottom