FJR1300 test ride

I had a big smile on my face today and it wasn?t because of the ST.

I spent the day at ?Thunder in the Valley? in Johnstown, PA. A number of bike manufacturers were there (not Honda), and I test drove two large cruisers and then the Yamaha FJR1300.

The large touring cruisers were the Kawasaki Vulcan and the Suzuki Boulevard. These cruisers have a very low center of gravity and are extremely easy to ride, but if you like fast speeds and twisty roads, these won?t do it for you. If I didn?t already own an ST1300 and had never rode a sport touring bike, I probably would have thought these bikes were great, and would be proud to own one. But, once you experience the power and fun of a sport touring bike, these bikes just don?t cut it.

My third test ride of the day was the Yamaha FJR1300. I wanted to ride this bike since I seriously considered this bike before buying the ST1300. I never had the opportunity to test ride either bike before making my purchase of the 2004 ST1300a.

I?ve mentioned before that the ST puts a big smile on my face. Well, the FJR does too. I had a great time riding this bike. The Demo leader said we will give you a chance to see the capabilities of this machine, but if anyone asks, ?the speed limit is 55mph, and I obey the speed limit?

The demo ride was about 25 miles, and twice I was able to reach 90 mph. This was a fun machine to ride. The acceleration from 55 to 90 was fantastic.

What I liked: The light feel of the FJR, no top heavy sensation at slow speeds. The mirror positions (Higher), making it easy to look at the road ahead and see the rear view at the same time. The seat height ( I have a Corbin and have are hard time standing flat footed, but on the FJR it was easy. Slow speed hard turns were easier than the ST

Others have said that the FJR is more on the sport side, and they are right. I believe if you take the same person, on a track, and have them run hard for best times on both bikes, the FJR will beat the ST. I was impressed.

But, the ST is more comfortable on long rides, and I do lots of long rides.

So, I am glad I bought the ST1300. It still puts a smile on my face, but if I had bought the FJR, I would also have a big smile.

So, you FJR guys and gals, you?ve got a great bike!

BTY - I took the tour route home, and in the area where I hit 90 on the FJR, I rolled on the trottle and hit 110 on the ST. That is the fastest I've ever gone on the ST, and it was as smooth and easy as ever. I think I could have cruised at 110 easily for many miles, but, this was a test and as soon as I reached 110, I backed it down to 70MPH to at least be reasonable.

Gosh - these bikes are fun!

I still have a big smile, but you FJR guys............ you've also got a great bike.

OP
OP
I should always use the spell check. I'm terrible at that. So the "A" is next to the "S" and "test" became "teat". I'd like to be a smart ass and come up with a good acrynim, but I can't.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
STeelersFan said:
I should always use the spell check. I'm terrible at that. So the "A" is next to the "S" and "test" became "teat". I'd like to be a smart ass and come up with a good acrynim, but I can't.
MuSTa rode a KAW inSTead of a Yamaha. :eek:: :)

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I rode to central Ca. fri and on hwy 25 just before Hollister Ca.(I was going to Corbine factory) I found a nice stright and hit 145 but later my gps told me it was actually 135

805gregg

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Interesting review. Before I ever rode an ST. I had a chance to test a FJR for about 4 hours on a few different types of roads. I rode with a friend who owns an FJR and GW ( He can loose me on his GW, when I was on my SuperHawk! )
After comming off a sportbike ( Honda SuperHawk ), I found the FJR to be a slow turner, similar to my old '86 VFR. Not bad just slower than I like. And the FJR was only powerful on the top end, typical of a inline 4. This was probably due to the fact that I was coming off a light SuperHawk, and it was a v-twin, so I was used to having very good power without having to be near the redline.

I choose the ST over the FJR (even without riding an ST), after reading many reviews of the ST. Most of the reviews (non-USA reviews) spoke of the ST's quicker handling ( than the FJR ), and the ST's better torque. The other features of the ST to put it over the top for me.

Alot of the reviews I read said "... these bikes are so close in performance...". And I believe this to be true. I don't think you'd go wrong with either bike. I picked the ST mostly because of the motor and the reviewed handling.

Oh, my friend - an former St1100 rider ( and IBR'er ) - was realy put off by the new ST. Even to the point that it made him mad that Honda did what they did to the ST line. He has since taken a quick ride on my ST, he came back with smile on his face, but only said "... not bad, better than I thought...". I think a little more time and he might admit the ST is a good a bike as the FJR.

My $0.02,

Tom de

STOC #
No offense to Yamaha

But, for me, when it came right down to it, it was two factors. One, fit and finish. I think the ST has alot cleaner lines. Not just bolted on fairings and stuff to a frame. Just my opinion. Second, the V-4. A much better technology, and probably more reliable.

The reason I'm wanting the ST is the rear foot peg location compared to the FJR is much better for my wifes legs, the FJR is identical to my 1200s Bandit which if it had a shaft would never leave but the ST is about smack in betwixt the Bandit and my K100Rt. If the ST can run like the K100 when it's 20 years old I will truly be a happy man...OLD, but happy :D

Bike
2005 ST1300
The FJR was actually my first choice during 'research' phase of my next bike purchase.

I really liked the looks and performance aspects of the FJ 'on paper; so to speak. Spent last winter's months on FJR (and BMWRT) user boards. BTW, Yamaha's website is 1000 times better than Honda's..Honda's is awful! You see the 'photo gallery' of the 1300?? One picture!

I went to International Motorcycle show in NYC to see the FJR for myself..Well what can I say..It didn't do it for me..The front felt VERY small..It felt like a pocket bike to me..and the fit and finish was not there...
Screws exposed everwhere, the fairing does not wrap around the frame like the RT or the ST..and what's with that damm weld spot on the frame right where you can see it next your knees..In any case I am sure its perfomance makes up for that but not for me..

This was validated when I was having a coffee a few weeks ago at a DD and a couple go by on a Feejer and he sees my ST, does a doube take and swings around..We have a 20 minute conversation..He hates the bar vibrations of his FJR (they are solid mounted as opposed to the rubber mounted ST) and of course the heat. This seams a much bigger issue on the FJ..In any case as he was talking I was looking at the two bikes side by side and what came to my mind was Chevy and Cadillac.

To each their own though..

Todd

Top Bottom