Flashing LED Brake Light legal in the UK?

Bike
1998 ST1100.. W
Greetings,
New here so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.
Just read a very informative post by Spiderman on LED headlamp bulbs, and was wondering about the flashing stop lamp LED's.
mentioned.
Sounds like a good idea but was wondering if anyone knows if they are strictly legal in the U.K.
Construction & use regs used to state the only flashing lights allowed were indicators/hazards & emergency services lights.
Long time since I was involved in such things, rules could have changed, any ideas guys?

Cheers...... STeve.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
They are really designed to indicate heavy emergency braking. The widely adopted EU regulation ‘Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices’ sets out the requirements for emergency stop lighting, defining it as follows;

Emergency stop signal’ means a signal to indicate to other road users to the rear of the vehicle that a high retardation force has been applied to the vehicle relative to the prevailing road conditions.

Whilst options, where installed they must adhere to the following regulations:

The emergency stop signal shall be given by the simultaneous operation of all the stop or direction-indicator lamps fitted as described as below;

• All the lamps of the emergency stop signal shall flash in phase at a frequency of 4.0 ± 1.0 Hz.
  • However, if any of the lamps of the emergency stop signal to the rear of the vehicle use filament light sources the frequency shall be 4.0 +0.0/-1.0 Hz.
  • The emergency stop signal shall operate independently of other lamps.
  • The emergency stop signal shall be activated and deactivated automatically.
  • The emergency stop signal shall be activated only when the vehicle speed is above 50 km/h and the braking system is providing the emergency braking logic signal defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H.
  • The emergency stop signal shall be automatically deactivated if the emergency braking logic signal as defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H is no longer provided or if the hazard warning signal is activated.
So as they're designed to flash under certain criteria - ie to draw extra attention to the fact that the vehicle in front is braking heavily - you might get pulled if the brake light flashes when simply braking at low speed.

OP
OP
STeve A.
Bike
1998 ST1100.. W
Brilliant, Thank you Hound, I think you're right there, would probably get a pull as the lights in question are replacement for bulbs and flash at any speed.
I do a lot of late night riding when the police are more likely to spot a bike and pull you for a "chat" as has happened often.
Many Thanks for the info, Much appreciated..

Cheers.......STeve.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
It took a long time for legislation to catch up to the safety benefits of flashing lights on bicycles. Hopefully motorcycles could soon enjoy similar consideration since conspicuity-wise, they represent a halfway house in "rear-end real estate" between a cycle and a car. Unless you have a GoldWing of course. ;)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Will LEO's really pull a biker behaving himself over for something as trivial as a brake light that flashes a few times and then stays on? Sure, a lot of these things are illegal here, but most cops let these minor infractions which enhance safety go - its common sense. Even seat belt use in cars, which in most jurisdictions is a primary offense if they are not worn, is ignored unless the driver is begging for attention (speeding, texting while driving, running a stop sign, etc.).

Bike
VStrom 650
Will LEO's really pull a biker behaving himself over for something as trivial as a brake light that flashes a few times and then stays on? Sure, a lot of these things are illegal here, but most cops let these minor infractions which enhance safety go - its common sense. Even seat belt use in cars, which in most jurisdictions is a primary offense if they are not worn, is ignored unless the driver is begging for attention (speeding, texting while driving, running a stop sign, etc.).
It's unfortunate that many (not anyone here of course) English/Welsh/Scottish motorcyclists have made a large rod for their own backs with motorcycle modifications that have not only angered the locals and other motorists but as a result of just about every parish council writing to the Police Chief Constable of their respective areas and asking, "what are you going to do about these louts", etc; they are also a target for traffic officers (if you can find one). So to answer your question, yes they would probably get booked fairly sharpish.
Plus, all bikes must pass an mot test each year after year 3, and illegal lighting is a no no. Retrospective LED fitments are only now being accepted but again must comply to existing beam pattern legislation.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
With regards to seat belts, it is practically a none issue, compliance is up towards 100% with stiff penalties for non compliance. Obviously with airbags fitted in just about every vehicle on the road you'd have to be very confident in the strength of your arms in any accident situation to avoid becoming bag whacked.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Also be aware that all bikes ( and cars ) in UK must have white light shining on rear number plate.

Am aware of certain "professional" fitter of LED upgrades to Pans (ST13s) who fitted red LED tail/stop lights to a number of bikes as part of package.

This effectively made the bikes an MoT ( annual safety test ) failure.

Bike
2010 ST1300
With regards to seat belts, ....
I'd have to guess that LEO's have more important stuff to do than citing the minor stuff, unless, as I said, something else brings you to their attention.

A local cop once stopped me for a license plate infraction. We get stickers every year with the renewal date for your car's license. I'd let my sticker overlap the bottom bar of the final number or letter (I forget now) thus, an E would have looked like an F. His car had signaled that the plate did not go with the car. He was verbally reprimanding me when he got a call, and had to leave, admonishing me to fix this asap. I have to wonder about such enforcement, seeing all these virtually opaque license plate covers that were the rage to thwart stoplight cameras. Over the years these plate covers have aged and one can really NOT see the plate number.

OP
OP
STeve A.
Bike
1998 ST1100.. W
Also be aware that all bikes ( and cars ) in UK must have white light shining on rear number plate.

Am aware of certain "professional" fitter of LED upgrades to Pans (ST13s) who fitted red LED tail/stop lights to a number of bikes as part of package.

This effectively made the bikes an MoT ( annual safety test ) failure.
That's a good point, never gave a thought to the number plate light.
Recently fitted LED switch backs to the ST's front indicators and clear lenses, checked with the MOT guy first and he was OK with it, says its getting more common now and as long as meets lighting laws regards colour & flash rate all is good.
Would definitely get a pull if our LEO's spotted something out of the ordinary, especially if they were having a quiet night, But in all fairness in 45+ years of driving/riding at all times of the day & night, I have been stopped numerous times for various reasons and never had a problem apart from 2 speeding tickets (both my fault, no excuses:mad:)
Our local cops are pretty good as long as you pass the "attitude" test............. Going to have to be careful now, bound to get stopped tonight!:oops:

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
My way of getting around the legislation, is planning ahead a little.

If I'm approaching a thing and slowing, in order to prevent the need for hard emergency braking ahead, I'll tap the right lever a few times. It's adjusted so that the light will turn on a little before the brakes actually apply.

So I can manually flash the brake light when I choose, and the MOT isn't affected.

If I'm ever 70mph and approaching stationary traffic, that's why mother Honda gave us a hazard warning switch.

OP
OP
STeve A.
Bike
1998 ST1100.. W
My way of getting around the legislation, is planning ahead a little.

If I'm approaching a thing and slowing, in order to prevent the need for hard emergency braking ahead, I'll tap the right lever a few times. It's adjusted so that the light will turn on a little before the brakes actually apply.

So I can manually flash the brake light when I choose, and the MOT isn't affected.

If I'm ever 70mph and approaching stationary traffic, that's why mother Honda gave us a hazard warning switch.
All good points, however, mother Honda didn't supply the ST1100 with hazards as standard on my 98 non abs model, I fitted hazards myself following a near miss when a young lady who was busy talking to her passenger didn't realise the traffic had stopped and missed rear ending me by a foot.
Would be wary of switching hazards on at 70mph as the switch is on the fairing and would mean taking hands off the handlebars at speed.

When all said & done I quite agree the trick is to plan ahead and ride accordingly.

Good idea to flash brake lights as required using front brakes, will be checking to see if my switch is set up to work that way.

Cheers..... STeve.

Top Bottom