Flat Ridge Road, VA

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
On the way home from Campstoc, my GPS took a "shortcut" through Flat Ridge Road a little bit west of Galax, VA, turning right off of Hwy 16 and ending up in Sugar Grove, VA. It has to be the most crooked road that I've ever seen in my life. Tighter turns than the Dragon, it included switchback, spiral curves, extreme elevation changes, ess curves, a couple of whoop-de-dos, and one Jesus Take the Wheel. Not bad pavement, considering it was in the middle of who knows where. I think it's 11 miles, but the directions say 35 minutes travel time. 11 miles, and I didn't meet a single vehicle!

If anyone travels through this area, ride this route and give me your opinion.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
Thanks for the recommendation! I ride a fair bit in southern Virginia. Not usually that far west, but I'm going to try to remember to add this road to my next route.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
That is in my backyard but i have not been on that one YET. Looks like a trip to look see. It is most definitely not a short cut and not sure why your gos took you there.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
That is in my backyard but i have not been on that one YET. Looks like a trip to look see. It is most definitely not a short cut and not sure why your gos took you there.
I was using the Waze app to navigate. There were some construction delays on 16, so it probably changed the route to avoid the delay. Whatever the reason, it was fun.

John

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I didn’t realize that this road was that close to SnakeSTOC in Sept. I don’t know if a group ride would work on this road.

John

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
You could also stay with 601 to 16 to Marion then 16 to Tazewell. You could get off 16 on Nick's Creek road to I-81. Run a couple miles down I-81 to Marion/16 to Tazewell.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
You should try VA-80 (Hayters Gap Rd ) between Elk Garden and Meadowview VA. Runs over the same ridge as the Back of the Dragon. I think of it as the intestines of the Dragon, it's serious and gets narrow with substandard pavement in spots but we'll worth it.

Screenshot_20220526-211143_Maps.jpg

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Last time i was on 80 it was horrible. A pretty good section was badly in need of work. Also some of it is a lane and a half wide if you’re lucky

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
I was on it about a month ago, I thought it was fun except a couple of miles near the summit where it is a lane and a half if you're lucky. Not a high speed road but highly technical.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
The north end from Elk Garden to the right hand hairpin was in very good shape. The worst was the narrow section near the summit which was a more tar & chip surface. Once off the summit to the south it was good but more residential.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Thats what it was like the last time i was on it. The state sure needs to do something on the south side before there is nothing to fix. It is a really tight technical road and IMHO not real good for a large group of riders with unknown skills.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Another one i got caught out on years ago was 91. I rode 16 almost to tazwell and took 91 back to saltville. Boy was that mistake. The farther i went up the mountain the worse it got till it was gravel most of the way over the mountain.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
You could also stay with 601 to 16 to Marion then 16 to Tazewell. You could get off 16 on Nick's Creek road to I-81. Run a couple miles down I-81 to Marion/16 to Tazewell.
Me and the better half went out yesterday and rode this area. had to check out 601. we went from sugar grove out teas rd-601 where it splits of of teas rd it turns to gravel so NOT a rd we tried. on the ST two up. we did get in a trip on the back of the dragon. smith county has been doing some cleanup and repaving sections of it :thumb: and the tazwell county part is in pretty good shape. all in all it was a great day out did about 200 miles breakfast in konnarock ( 58 is always a good ride ) from breakfast we went to troutdale whjere we got on 16.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
John, I remember you mentioned this road Saturday at your RTE.
I bet talking about it is different than riding it.
Having only ridden with this group at the BRG last fall, I wouldn't mind doing a ride with those st-owners, as I was really impressed with @Uncle Phil 's leadership, description of what to expect, and everyone (except HIM, LOL!) staying out of trouble, through some sketchy byways for our big bikes.
In fairness, Mr. Garmin lied to him up front, and he made an excellent recovery.
The downhill switchbacks we rode were amazing, and the roads were slick, so with our group of about 18, and no spills, I was very impressed with the skills I saw demonstrated in NC. Phil was meticulous in letting us know what to expect, and that helped a bunch.
I want to ride that mini-Alps route again!

Top Bottom