FOBO Bike TPMS Kit

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As a result of this Group Buy thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?149594-Fobo-Bluetooth-Tpms-(show-of-interest) I bought a FOBO Bike Kit ($99 MSRP) and T-Valves ($24/pair).

The Bike kit contains two FOBO TMPS sensors four security/lock nuts and two plastic wrenches to tighten the security nuts against the sensor. My kit also included an additional 2032 battery attached to the FOBO box in bag labeled LOC item. I have no idea what that means.

This kit had no display of any kind. Instead it uses either an iPhone or Android phone for the display along with FOBO's app and Bluetooth 4.x to talk to the sensors.

There's a little blurb on the box that tells you to go to my-fobo.com for installation instructions. I downloaded them to my iPhone and opened them in iBooks and proceeded with the installation. https://my-fobo.com/uploads/fobobike/FOBOBikeUserGuidever2_1.pdf

The first step is to download the FOBO app for your platform from the App Store or Google Play and open an account. This is tied to the serial numbered devices so this can't be avoided. Just submit an email address and click the verification link sent to that email. Once tied to your account the FOBOs can't be used by someone else. This may not prevent them being stolen but at least the thief won't be able to use them.

This may be the point were you customize the app for your bike. You can take a pic of your bike and enter a name for its profile. You can also change the units for temperature and pressure from metric to normal. :)

You're taken to the app's Settings and asked to enter you bike's recommended tire pressure (but you can use your personal preference) for both the front and rear tires. The app then shows you the Min and Max tire pressure deviations that sound an alarm. For 42 lbs the defaults are 38lbs and 52lbs. These may be user adjustable but I didn't check that out.

Remove the valve cap then screw on the security nut all the way down to the bottom of the stems' threads. Screw on the FOBO sensor on when and as instructed by the app starting with the rear tire. If you've jumped the gun you'll have to remove it for at least 8sec then attach it as instructed. DAMHIK. There is some slight air loss when attaching or removing the sensors so turn quickly. Removing then re-attaching them cost me 1lb of air. NBD.

Next spin the security nut (lock nut/jam nut) against the sensor then use the included wrench to cinch it down. I used the click of my wrist to torque them firmly but not tight.

The instructions tell you to touch your phone to the sensor and click OK on the app. This pairs the sensor to your phone. Repeat the process following the app cues for the front tire. This isn't NFC so it's most likely just to minimize any possible RF or passive interference with pairing.

The app tells you when installation is complete. Look at the screen and see your tire pressures. COOL!

You can edit the bikes profile at any time and the app can track up to 20 vehicles' pressures.

The tires should probably be rebalanced with the addition of the sensors and well definitely need it when the T-Valves are installed as they are heavy. These valves will work with either the 8.3mm or 11.3mm (ST size) valve holes in the rim.

The operation on iOS is very simple. Open the FOBO app and view your tire pressures and act accordingly. Done. Since the sensors use BT the range should be about 10m (33'). FOBO advises objects or devices may interfere with and limit the range. I haven't challenged the range but 10' was no problem at all.

All of the pieces seem well made and though plastic is used extensively there isn't any cheap feel at all. The sensors use replaceable common 2032 batteries and FOBO says they should last about two years but lists some things that will shorten battery life. Very much a YMMV.

Since it doesn't use its own display those riders who want tire pressure information always displayed won't want this unit. Even if you mount the phone on the bike you'd have to keep it open to the app to mimic a dedicated display. It's a choice. I just want a quick easy way to check tire pressure before I get on the bike. This lets me fire up the compressor if needed and top off before even saddling up. On the road I can check it at any food or gas or "other" stop.

The iOS app will sound an alarm if the Min or Max air pressure level is crossed. If you're using BT comms for music or GPS you'll probably hear the alarm in the headphones/headset. I haven't verified this.

It's too soon to speak to long-term reliability but I'm very encouraged.

The company was a joy to do business with. All communication was prompt and on point and shipping was fast. The MSRP is painless.

I will order one more sensor as a portable air gauge and maybe one more set for a buddy. If you don't want to mount a dedicated TMPS display this is a great solution.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike#specification

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
As a result of this Group Buy thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?149594-Fobo-Bluetooth-Tpms-(show-of-interest) I bought a FOBO Bike Kit ($99 MSRP) and T-Valves ($24/pair).

The Bike kit contains two FOBO TMPS sensors four security/lock nuts and two plastic wrenches to tighten the security nuts against the sensor. My kit also included an additional 2032 battery attached to the FOBO box in bag labeled LOC item. I have no idea what that means.

This kit had no display of any kind. Instead it uses either an iPhone or Android phone for the display along with FOBO's app and Bluetooth 4.x to talk to the sensors.

There's a little blurb on the box that tells you to go to my-fobo.com for installation instructions. I downloaded them to my iPhone and opened them in iBooks and proceeded with the installation. https://my-fobo.com/uploads/fobobike/FOBOBikeUserGuidever2_1.pdf

The first step is to download the FOBO app for your platform from the App Store or Google Play and open an account. This is tied to the serial numbered devices so this can't be avoided. Just submit an email address and click the verification link sent to that email. Once tied to your account the FOBOs can't be used by someone else. This may not prevent them being stolen but at least the thief won't be able to use them.

This may be the point were you customize the app for your bike. You can take a pic of your bike and enter a name for its profile. You can also change the units for temperature and pressure from metric to normal. :)

You're taken to the app's Settings and asked to enter you bike's recommended tire pressure (but you can use your personal preference) for both the front and rear tires. The app then shows you the Min and Max tire pressure deviations that sound an alarm. For 42 lbs the defaults are 38lbs and 52lbs. These may be user adjustable but I didn't check that out.

Remove the valve cap then screw on the security nut all the way down to the bottom of the stems' threads. Screw on the FOBO sensor on when and as instructed by the app starting with the rear tire. If you've jumped the gun you'll have to remove it for at least 8sec then attach it as instructed. DAMHIK. There is some slight air loss when attaching or removing the sensors so turn quickly. Removing then re-attaching them cost me 1lb of air. NBD.

Next spin the security nut (lock nut/jam nut) against the sensor then use the included wrench to cinch it down. I used the click of my wrist to torque them firmly but not tight.

The instructions tell you to touch your phone to the sensor and click OK on the app. This pairs the sensor to your phone. Repeat the process following the app cues for the front tire. This isn't NFC so it's most likely just to minimize any possible RF or passive interference with pairing.

The app tells you when installation is complete. Look at the screen and see your tire pressures. COOL!

You can edit the bikes profile at any time and the app can track up to 20 vehicles' pressures.

The tires should probably be rebalanced with the addition of the sensors and well definitely need it when the T-Valves are installed as they are heavy. These valves will work with either the 8.3mm or 11.3mm (ST size) valve holes in the rim.

The operation on iOS is very simple. Open the FOBO app and view your tire pressures and act accordingly. Done. Since the sensors use BT the range should be about 10m (33'). FOBO advises objects or devices may interfere with and limit the range. I haven't challenged the range but 10' was no problem at all.

All of the pieces seem well made and though plastic is used extensively there isn't any cheap feel at all. The sensors use replaceable common 2032 batteries and FOBO says they should last about two years but lists some things that will shorten battery life. Very much a YMMV.

Since it doesn't use its own display those riders who want tire pressure information always displayed won't want this unit. Even if you mount the phone on the bike you'd have to keep it open to the app to mimic a dedicated display. It's a choice. I just want a quick easy way to check tire pressure before I get on the bike. This lets me fire up the compressor if needed and top off before even saddling up. On the road I can check it at any food or gas or "other" stop.

The iOS app will sound an alarm if the Min or Max air pressure level is crossed. If you're using BT comms for music or GPS you'll probably hear the alarm in the headphones/headset. I haven't verified this.

It's too soon to speak to long-term reliability but I'm very encouraged.

The company was a joy to do business with. All communication was prompt and on point and shipping was fast. The MSRP is painless.

I will order one more sensor as a portable air gauge and maybe one more set for a buddy. If you don't want to mount a dedicated TMPS display this is a great solution.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike#specification
Great write up on the fobo tpms.
Very thorough and we'll explained. Kudos.
Mike
STrangr

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I got a set of these, based on this review. They are exactly as described, and I was quite pleased.

However, my front sensor seems to have failed, after less than two years of use. Perhaps my bike's rugged outdoor lifestyle contributed to that, but there's no obvious indication of water penetration. Changing the battery has not revived it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I have not yet contacted FOBO so I have no info on their service and support.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I got a set of these, based on this review. They are exactly as described, and I was quite pleased.

However, my front sensor seems to have failed, after less than two years of use. Perhaps my bike's rugged outdoor lifestyle contributed to that, but there's no obvious indication of water penetration. Changing the battery has not revived it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I have not yet contacted FOBO so I have no info on their service and support.
I have been using mine for almost 3 years with no issues. My bike lives outdoors in the harsh Florida weather (extreme heat, lots of rain). I would get in touch with support, they are great.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have been using mine for almost 3 years with no issues. My bike lives outdoors in the harsh Florida weather (extreme heat, lots of rain). I would get in touch with support, they are great.
Thanks- that's encouraging to hear.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Thanks- that's encouraging to hear.
I would mention that you are from the group. We put together a group buy a while back and purchased quite a few. I believe I dealt with a guy named Sameer. He pot together the discount for us. Try to get in touch with him if possible.
Keep us posted.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
We put together a group buy a while back
As a completely removable accessory, they're not included in my maintenance records so I can't be certain, but IIRC mine were acquired as part of that group buy. Thanks for the pointer to Sameer.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
However, my front sensor seems to have failed
It may be that after replacing the battery the sensor needs to be re-paired to the phone. Did you try that? I've yet to replace a battery so I'm just guessing about that.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I've replaced the battery, and did not need to re-pair. But I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
It may be that after replacing the battery the sensor needs to be re-paired to the phone. Did you try that? I've yet to replace a battery so I'm just guessing about that.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The batteries in mine have lasted less than a year each time, so I have changed them each a few times. Never had to re-pair.

Have tried re-pairing, plus all of the other sensor management functions available in the app. No joy on any of them.

Now waiting on a response from Sameer, which may be a while thanks to world time differences.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So, Sameer has started looking into it by collecting the make, model, and o/s version of my phone. Evidently there is a known (by whom?) bluetooth communications issue involving certain Android devices running either Android 7 or 8.

My phone is a Samsung SM-J727V, running Android 7.0 build NRD90M.J727VVRS2RF1. Do any of you have the FOBO sensors successfully paired to an Android device running either 7.0 or 8.0? And if so, have you experienced any difficulties?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
So, Sameer has started looking into it by collecting the make, model, and o/s version of my phone. Evidently there is a known (by whom?) bluetooth communications issue involving certain Android devices running either Android 7 or 8.

My phone is a Samsung SM-J727V, running Android 7.0 build NRD90M.J727VVRS2RF1. Do any of you have the FOBO sensors successfully paired to an Android device running either 7.0 or 8.0? And if so, have you experienced any difficulties?
Wait, what?
That makes no sense at all. If there was a communications issue, then wouldn't both fail?
Btw, I use android 7 on a HTC m9.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Wait, what?
That makes no sense at all. If there was a communications issue, then wouldn't both fail?
I posed that very question. Thanks to the time difference I do not expect a reply until Sunday night Eastern time, at the soonest.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Wait, what?
UPDATE

Evidently the answer to the question is No.

Since I am lazy I still have my old Galaxy III running Android 5, with the Fobo app still installed. I resurrected it, reconnected it to my FOBO account, pulled the sensor and reinstalled it after waiting 8 seconds, and tried re-pairing.

Presto! Both sensors showed up, registering the correct date and time.

Next I re-registered my newer (current) phone with FOBO and refreshed. The rear sensor reported in immediately and, after a moment, so did the front.

According to Sameer, once the sensors are paired and tied to the account, you can move the account from device to device and all is well. I don't know why it stopped talking to one sensor but that now seems solved. Or at least I have a work around.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I reported back to Sameer that his suggestion had made the front sensor visible again. He replied that they have a firmware update to solve the problem permanently but that you have to apply it with an iPhone because Android doesn't allow / support such an action.

When my niece returns from a weekend away I'll ask whether I can use her phone to do the deed. But in the meantime I have a fallback that works so the urgency is diminished.

Top Bottom