Fog lights grounded on forks

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
When I purchased my 04 it came with fog lights grounded on the forks. Of course this meant that current was flowing through the steering bearings. It was recommended that I run a wire direct to a frame ground (which I did) to eliminate the potential for pitting the bearings.

My steering seems fine (though those who have ridden behind me may disagree).

A new member is troubleshooting handling problems and I wonder if anyone has first hand experience with failed head bearings, causes and symptoms?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
The only failure I am familiar with is the usual notching caused by repetitive compression of the stock ball bearings. It can cause front end wandering and possibly head shake when you release your grip on the handle bars. One cure is to replace the steering stem bearings with roller bearings which disperses the load over a larger surface area, thus extending the life of said bearings. It is also important to load the steering stem bearings properly to prevent adverse steering characteristics. There should not be any front to back movement in the forks, but loose enough to almost allow the forks to swing side to side with very little effort.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I wouldn't worry about current affecting bearings, particularly non-aluminum stuff. I'd be more concerned about a proper ground for the lights instead of going through fork oil film between bushings and tubes and rubber seals and greasy bearings.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
A new member is troubleshooting handling problems
could you be more specific about the actual problem?

Regarding head bearings, if they are adjusted too tight then the steering response slows down dramatically. Its not likely that would just happen over time though, its more likely to happen immediately due to an improper adjustment of the preload. As they wear out, they may feel a little notchy, but that usually doesn't affect the handling in any significant way unless they develop very deep notches.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
<"could you be more specific about the actual problem? ">

I am referring to an existing thread (not mine) that I am following. I believe my own head stock bearings are ok.

ht
tp://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?155260-Movement-in-handlebars

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
beeker said:
My steering seems fine (though those who have ridden behind me may disagree).
:rofl1:

My experience is the same as Vinny's: miles of road thrashing eventually causing notching and a couple of broken races.

The wear was slow enough that I never noticed any symptoms when riding. One day I put it on the center stand and jacked up the front end. Turning the forks side to side there was just enough drag that they stayed in any position I left them in though they did turn with only slight pressure from one finger. At 'straight ahead' there was a definite notch. By comparison it almost felt like a clunk.

New bearings (uncaged ball) and races (that was fun) later: no notch. The forks turn easily with one finger and would only stay still when straight ahead give or take. Turned to the left or right they would fall to the stop. The steering definitely felt smoother and lighter. I'm not nearly rider enough to notice the onset of wear. It was by chance I noticed the problem and by the sudden contrast felt the improvement. It seemed fine before but was much better after.

Keeping the bearings properly adjusted as they wear would probably help prevent wear. Having more compliant suspension for the rider might do so too. Roller bearing instead of ball bearings too. Many riders state rollers increase handling performance. This may be just new bearings in general and reduced wear long term.

For the efficiency of the lights I'd agree with grounding them to the frame or even to the battery (via fuse box or relay connection if available or need be) but seriously doubt oil is a factor to be considered at all especially if the lights are LEDs.

Top Bottom