For those thinking about Staintunes

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I actually like the look of the stock Honda pipes more than the Staintunes. That said, I rode my son's VFR with Staintunes the other day and they sound great!

Steve:04biker:

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
Maybe I did come off a little heavy handed but it is Stonkin that said it affect the emissions with no regard for the consequences and while you may think I am putting myself up on some sanctemonious ground I did ask if in fact the changing of pipes does effect emmissions?
Funny how I get a do you ever break the law question to deflect the basic question. Why do we individually think that our contribution to stinking up the planet does not count? Almost any modern vehicle is hundreds of times cleaner than the car Dad drove yet we are choking every year in more and more air pollution. Vancouver has an appearance of a clean and picturesque location but the air pollution gets so bad that it keeps people indoors. It is mostly Cars that cause that pollution. So I offend a few sensibilities but in fact I had never thought that changing pipes would increase the bikes emissions until this thread. Stonkins post is so cavalier it just set me off. If changing pipes increases emmissions then I stand by my reaction and hope it makes someone think about it from a responsible perspective. If it is just a bit of Macho bravado and in fact changing the pipes does not then I apologise for reacting to an innacurate statement.
I am not suggesting i have not sinned but it is time we stop thinking that little tiny bit of oil we pour down a drain or added smoke we put in the air does not matter. We are already way past the point where the environment can cope with our pollution contribution.
I like to insert a bit of Irony here. Why do Hippies that regularily protest everything environmental insist on driving those VW Vans? Have they ever seen the amount of pollution those old engines produce. And why do animal rights activists wear leather boots?
I appreciate this forum and it is not my desire to offend anyone but we need to be aware that nothing happens without consequence.
Now don't get me started on loud pipes and I am not talking about staytunes either.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Why do we individually think that our contribution to stinking up the planet does not count?
Because either Mount Pinetubo or Mount St. Helen's eruptions spewed more stink into the planet than all the combustion engines ever manufactured! Individually we aren't a fart in a windstorm........

All that aside I care about my children and they are constantly telling me to put a new pipe on my bike :)

Tom

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Let's dial down the rhetoric, guys. We've tried to keep politics, religion, and other hot button issues off this site so our energies can be focused on motorcycle related issues.

John

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
That's it! No more riding motorcycles for pleasure.

It needlessly creates pollution.

Ray

OP
OP
STOnkin'aussie
If indeed the stock pipes are there as part of the bikes EPA laws or air pollution controls then removing them is a crime against your children. When do you realize that a narcissistic desire for personal gratification is sociopathic behaviour. I don't have kids but I care enough about what I leave your kids and prefer not to blow crap into their lungs. Preaching aside Does changing the pipes affect the pollution the bike produces or did you just say that to show what a macho guy you are?:mad: I too might like a more growly sound but not at the expense of making my bike a stinker too.

thanks for your well considered post.

i actually live in Australia and both the emmissions and noise levels meet our laws by some degree of comfort - in fact, as I understand it, they also meet the standards set in (most ) states in your own country.

I often come across members of staff who hijack conversations to push their own barrow and I will tell you the same thing as I say to them -

get your hand off it.

OP
OP
STOnkin'aussie
I too am thinking about buying them...where can you order them ?
I believe you may have aUS importer so there will be someone in the States that advertise them I feel sure. To find them I recommend you go to Staintunes website and they will direct you from their site to a local distributor.

I will get around to taking some pics for everyone hopefully in the next day or so.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
These types of comments, specifically calling a member a sociopath are NOT welcome on this site. This site is about respect. If you don't agree with a question, comment or opinion of another member then I have no problem with a response that is respectful.

To be honest, if you are THAT passionate about the environment, then why are you on a 1300 cc non-electric motorcycle? That makes no sense to me. You could quit motorcycling all together and that alone would help reduce more polution than what someone does to their pipes..

Don't get me wrong, I want to do my part for the environment myself but until Honda perfects the electric-ST or electric-Wing I accept that my hobby has definite environmental affect on this planet.

Now, let's all be respectful of each other.

Thank you.

If indeed the stock pipes are there as part of the bikes EPA laws or air pollution controls then removing them is a crime against your children. When do you realize that a narcissistic desire for personal gratification is sociopathic behaviour. I don't have kids but I care enough about what I leave your kids and prefer not to blow crap into their lungs. Preaching aside Does changing the pipes affect the pollution the bike produces or did you just say that to show what a macho guy you are?:mad: I too might like a more growly sound but not at the expense of making my bike a stinker too.
Maybe I did come off a little heavy handed but it is Stonkin that said it affect the emissions with no regard for the consequences and while you may think I am putting myself up on some sanctemonious ground I did ask if in fact the changing of pipes does effect emmissions?
Funny how I get a do you ever break the law question to deflect the basic question. Why do we individually think that our contribution to stinking up the planet does not count? Almost any modern vehicle is hundreds of times cleaner than the car Dad drove yet we are choking every year in more and more air pollution. Vancouver has an appearance of a clean and picturesque location but the air pollution gets so bad that it keeps people indoors. It is mostly Cars that cause that pollution. So I offend a few sensibilities but in fact I had never thought that changing pipes would increase the bikes emissions until this thread. Stonkins post is so cavalier it just set me off. If changing pipes increases emmissions then I stand by my reaction and hope it makes someone think about it from a responsible perspective. If it is just a bit of Macho bravado and in fact changing the pipes does not then I apologise for reacting to an innacurate statement.
I am not suggesting i have not sinned but it is time we stop thinking that little tiny bit of oil we pour down a drain or added smoke we put in the air does not matter. We are already way past the point where the environment can cope with our pollution contribution.
I like to insert a bit of Irony here. Why do Hippies that regularily protest everything environmental insist on driving those VW Vans? Have they ever seen the amount of pollution those old engines produce. And why do animal rights activists wear leather boots?
I appreciate this forum and it is not my desire to offend anyone but we need to be aware that nothing happens without consequence.
Now don't get me started on loud pipes and I am not talking about staytunes either.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
We can't save the planet... and to honest it's not in any danger.. it was here before us and will be here after us... what we need to do, and a much more difficult task, is save ourselves...

How to do that.. .well, not too sure...

Personally, I think a super volcano or meteor will be our eventual end or rebirth... but I probably watch too much discovery channel .. I do like the Galapagos series ..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You've not much room to talk , ya know , you are holding your head in your hands , that qualify's you as a Psychopath , don't you think???
:)
No... I'm just beside myself.. :nuts1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How do we know that's you , holding your head and not someone else holding your head ??????
That's a very good point... however, when you think about it... if you saw that ugly thing laying on the ground... would you pick it up, much less have someone take a picture of you holding it?

OP
OP
STOnkin'aussie
That's a very good point... however, when you think about it... if you saw that ugly thing laying on the ground... would you pick it up, much less have someone take a picture of you holding it?
now Mr Clean - Joe has a point there! and on the east coast of oz the boys in blue are red hot! that is why you need to come on down and visit us on the West Coast!

All of this about the pipes Sound, is there a PROVEN HP or Torque benefit of adding aftermarket pipes to the ST. From what I've seen in most cases aftermarket pipes are simply noise makers........

kf4mtw

Bye Bye Blackbird!
After leading a group of 16 sportbikes last sunday I asked several of the veteran riders that were behind me if my bike was exceptionally loud, annoying, or uncomfortably and they all said...........................................

That Thing Sounds Beautiful!

OP
OP
STOnkin'aussie
All of this about the pipes Sound, is there a PROVEN HP or Torque benefit of adding aftermarket pipes to the ST. From what I've seen in most cases aftermarket pipes are simply noise makers........
i did not feel any performance benefit from installing the 'tunes alone. i believe the addition of the k&n filter and turbotoms 61psi fpr has certainly added some extra power and in one against one tests against my brother in laws identical ST my bike accelerates - from stand still and in roll ons from 30 - 40 and 60 mph faser than his (stock) model.

he actually weighs a little less than me and we have experimented with swapping bikes. the difference is very apparent.

having said that, i did not buy the 'tunes for any power increase they may deliver, i fitted them because their wonderful note increases my riding pleasure. - i can always tell someone who has not heard a set of 'tunes on an ST - they wonder if they produce 'noise' :)

as an aside - i have found a use for the original cans - they are great for building muscles - they weigh a ton!

happy and safe riding

angus

Top Bottom