Fork oil weight, 2000 ST1100 , ABS II ??

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I ride alone ,with nobody else (not yet anyway). 100kg (220lbs) rider. Been going through the threads here .Hmm . suggestions: Honda SS7M (5w) both sides or 5w one side -15w, on the other. What do you Gals and Guys say ? I will follow ! Thanks

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Ok ,10W in both forks . Thanks

Bike
2004 ST1300
Ok ,10W in both forks . Thanks
If you have alot of mileage on bike you should consider an upgrade kit from Traxxion Dynamics. Tell them your weight and they will size the spring kit for you. I've updated my 1300 springs and oil. Much better ride and control for $200.
Since you're in there tearing them apart.
Dave

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When I rebuilt my Nighthawk's fork, I used 10w, but filled each tube 1/4" higher than spec'ed for faster compression.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
If you have alot of mileage on bike you should consider an upgrade kit from Traxxion Dynamics. Tell them your weight and they will size the spring kit for you. I've updated my 1300 springs and oil. Much better ride and control for $200.
Since you're in there tearing them apart.
Dave
50 000 miles .I was going tear them apart. But, I did a sag the test (ok), checked bearings(ok) , and the forks don't leak or behave bad in anyway. The way it is now- It's easiest -the best cruising bike I have ever ridden . PO receipts indicate he had it serviced on a regular basis at the Honda dealer . But , I Think I'd like it a little stiffer at slow speeds /braking. I'm going to start with a fork oil change and take a look at the anti dive gaskets. See if that makes difference . When the seals do start leaking it's tear down time for sure. I will look into Traxxion Dynamics

Looking to change the fork oil on my 93 ST the book recommends Honda SS-7, a 5 weight Oil
I see some of you have switched to 7.5 weight oil.
Is this by mixing Honda 10 and 5 in 1:1 SS-7 and SS-8 respectively, or are you using an aftermarket product?
What about V I ratings
Cold New England nights have me overthinking this. Any recommendations would be appreciated
I have never ridden my bike and have know idea how much or what is in it.

Is it possible to do a reasonably good Oil Change with the forks in the bike? That is to drain, flush and fill using measured volume as the sole means of getting a proper fill.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
A STandard 1100 has drain screws. The left fork can be drained/filled with the dipstick method. The right fork is very awkward to dis/re-assemble on your own to be able to properly measure the levels with a dipstick. I refill the right fork with 90% of the correct volume - with a large syringe.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
5w or 7.5w with Hagon springs. 10w was too solid for me. Lets face it, the fork design is ancient, so the weight to use that suits you best could be anything!....

Bike
05 ST1300
I ride alone ,with nobody else (not yet anyway). 100kg (220lbs) rider. Been going through the threads here .Hmm . suggestions: Honda SS7M (5w) both sides or 5w one side -15w, on the other. What do you Gals and Guys say ? I will follow ! Thanks
5 on one side and 15 on the other would be the same as 10 on each side wouldn’t it? On my 1300, 5 on both sides is too soft and 10 on both sides is too harsh, so I put 5 in one and 10 in the other, and that works just right for me. Or is it 10 and 15, not sure now hmmm

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
5 on one side and 15 on the other would be the same as 10 on each side wouldn’t it?
I can't say for sure, but since the dampening mechanisms are different on each fork I don't think it would be that simple.

Even if the mechanisms were identical, I don't think the viscosity is necessarily linear between 5w/10w/15w to where you could just add the weights and divide by 2.

A STandard 1100 has drain screws. The left fork can be drained/filled with the dipstick method. The right fork is very awkward to dis/re-assemble on your own to be able to properly measure the levels with a dipstick. I refill the right fork with 90% of the correct volume - with a large syringe.
I backed the top bolt out of the fork tube until it cleared the threads but it will not pull free to allow filling of the tube. Should I remove the damper rod bolt to back the top bolt out?

Top Bottom