Fork/Shock spring recommendation

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Have an '04 ST1300 with just a tad over 20,000 miles and ready to replace the fork springs and put a new spring on the shock. After browsing the many threads related to this topic, I'm pretty set on Hyperpro fork springs (also had them on two previous bikes and really liked them). Have read a lot of happy reviews on Sonic springs, but don't know that I want to mess with the 'fiddling' to get them dialed in...also the initial stiffness.

On the back, I'm split between going with the Hyperpro spring, or a Hypercoil (Hyperco). Is anyone using this combination (hyperpro front/hypercoil rear) that can give some insight?

Also, when replacing the rear spring, will the various springs available (hyperpro, hypercoil, race tech) simply drop in, or is then a 'seat' or adapter that is needed to make them work)? Again, just looking to replace the spring...not the entire shock.

BTW, I'm 210 with gear, ride both solo and two-up, rarely with much luggage....am leaning towards a 1300# spring, but open for suggestions.

Last edited:

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Penske rear installed without extra stuff needed. Just remove the old and replace with new. 1300 pounds is what I got.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Race Tech fitted a 1200lb/in spring to my re-valved OEM shock. The spring was made by Eibach. I used the Sonic 1.2 mm/Kg springs up front with Race Tech Gold Valves. Works very well.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Also, I'm seeing quite a few references that the stock or replacement spring is 5 x 2.25, but am seeing Race Tech and a couple other aftermarket listings showing the ST1300 being a 6 inch spring. Which is it?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Not sure of the lengths exactly but if you are referring to the rear shock, the race tech spring is slightly shorter than the OEM spring but made of thicker wire with fewer turns. Race tech fits a spacer between the spring and the preload mechanism to compensate.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure of the lengths exactly but if you are referring to the rear shock, the race tech spring is slightly shorter than the OEM spring but made of thicker wire with fewer turns. Race tech fits a spacer between the spring and the preload mechanism to compensate.
Yes, referring to rear spring. So if ordering the Race Tech, do they include the spacer? Or is that a separate item? Tossing around Race Tech, Hyperpro, Eibach and Hypercoil on the back (with Hyperpro being the only 'progressive' spring).

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The spacer was included with my spring but in the end I had Race Tech re-valve the OEM shock and install the new spring. You're going to need some kind of press I think to install the spring yourself. It's retained by a snap ring under the preload mechanism. You have to loosen a set screw on the preload cylinder and then compress the spring far enough to reveal and remove the snap ring. Then everything slips off the upper end of the shock.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The spacer was included with my spring but in the end I had Race Tech re-valve the OEM shock and install the new spring. You're going to need some kind of press I think to install the spring yourself. It's retained by a snap ring under the preload mechanism. You have to loosen a set screw on the preload cylinder and then compress the spring far enough to reveal and remove the snap ring. Then everything slips off the upper end of the shock.
Yes, I've swapped springs on other bikes' shocks before. Have a spring compressor. I'm guessing I compress the spring, release the preload stuff off the top, and it should slip off the top?

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
To update, today I placed orders for a set of Race Tech fork springs ($94.99 from HDL w/free shipping) and a Hyperco shock spring from The Shock Shop ($65.00 + $14 shipping). The fork springs are .95 kg, and the rear shock is a 1300# (5 x 2.25). Should have it all in hand by July 30....Plan to us 7.5 wt suspension fluid. Will update once installed.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
AAARRRGGHHHH!!! Got the rear shock removed and find that my 5 inch spring is a full inch shorter than the OEM Spring!! And supposed to leave on a trip Friday. No amount of spacer will take up a full inch on the shaft...now I'm really feeling stupid.

Guess its time to re-order a 6 incher and expedite the shipping. So much for cost savings on a $67 spring purchase.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
To update, I received the correct length Hypercoil spring and installed it on the shock, only to find that the wire diameter was quite a bit larger than the OEM. As a result, the shock would not reassemble correctly. So, at this point, I'm throwing the original shock/spring combo back on the bike and calling it a day. Front fork much improved with the Race Tech springs. On the back end, I'll just crank in a bunch of preload to adjust the sag properly (front end seems high with the stiffer springs right now) and see how it works.

Live and learn.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
To update, I received the correct length Hypercoil spring and installed it on the shock, only to find that the wire diameter was quite a bit larger than the OEM. As a result, the shock would not reassemble correctly. So, at this point, I'm throwing the original shock/spring combo back on the bike and calling it a day. Front fork much improved with the Race Tech springs. On the back end, I'll just crank in a bunch of preload to adjust the sag properly (front end seems high with the stiffer springs right now) and see how it works.

Live and learn.
Check with the vendor to see if they have an adapter / spacer. Race Tech includes one with their spring upgrades for the OEM shock. Maybe they will sell you their spacer.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Its not the seating area...its the actual width (size) of the coils. They rub on the shock body. I know Hypercoils are used with Penske shocks, but I'm thinking the Penske must utilize a 'narrower' shock body?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Its not the seating area...its the actual width (size) of the coils. They rub on the shock body. I know Hypercoils are used with Penske shocks, but I'm thinking the Penske must utilize a 'narrower' shock body?
Got it, I thought you were having the other problem where the coil was too large to fit down into the preload mechanism.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Got it, I thought you were having the other problem where the coil was too large to fit down into the preload mechanism.
Nope. Will tackle this issue again over the winter. Gotta put it back together so I can head to the mountains tomorrow!

Top Bottom