Found another benefit of the Darkside

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although we didn';t get hit nearly as hard as our southern neighbors, we got a few inches of snow Saturday night. Since my Jeep still isn't ready for the road (waiting for parts to be delivered), the ST is still my primary transportation. Today I left for work at 20 degrees with a few inches of unplowed snow in my driveway. With the icy layer under it, and the road being up hill a little from my parking spot, I have always had a lot of trouble getting out of my driveway in snow, even with the KLR with healthy tires. Street tires usually don't get me far up the driveway.

Well today was an exception. Although its no snow tire, the Hankook had no problem getting up the snowy driveway, and the only time it slipped at all was a very slight spin as I was cresting a ridge of snow onto the road. I was quite impressed. While I still have to be very careful due to the front tire, I at least have traction to get moving in the nasty stuff.

Just one more little benefit...not that I should even be riding in this stuff though...

Jim

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I was just thinking of this very thing this past weekend!! I to wondered about the front tire and thought to my self if we (by accident) came up with a solution for snow maybe we can come up with a solution for the front in snow???

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
The only thing I can think of for the front is to use a heavy duty dualsport tire. That should give a bit more snow traction, but wouldn't help with ice (my biggest fear). There is the possibility of finding a dualsport tire for the front that could be studded, then using a studded snow tire in the rear. Of course this would limit the distance that you would want to travel...I don't think heading out on a 5k mile trip with studded tires would be a wise idea. But for local commuting, its possible I guess.

I wish we could come up with something realistic for the front, but I guess we could just take the hint, and avoid snow...lol.

Jim

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I don't think studded tires will work very well. I was talking with RichR who has a KLR with studded tires. I was shocked at how often he has to replace the studs. With the extra weight of the ST I think they would wear out way too fast.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think it depends on the studs used. Typical motorcycle studs, such as used for ice racing, are very similar to sheet metal screws. Those don't last long, and get ripped out. They also destroy a tire pretty quickly. When I was doing some research on studded MC tires, I found someone who studded tires for a BMW GS using car tire studs. It takes some work- holes have to be predrilled for all the studs (being careful to keep the depth even, and NOT go through the tire), then the studs put in using a stud gun. They supposedly last much longer using this method...and also give better traction on dry pavement, because the actual rubber is allowed to contact the road, unlike the screws.

I haven't tried it though, so I can't speak from experience if they really work.

Jim

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Hmm, so they use something like a carbide stud? That might last longer. You are right the ones that RichR uses are like a sheet metal screw with a concave head to them to make the edges sharp so they bite in. They are nothing more than metal though.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Below is what an automotive stud looks like. Once installed, only the very small tip protrudes from the tire. When on a hard surface, like pavement, the stud actually pushes into the tire, so the tire makes full contact. But on ice, the stud is able to dig into the ice. The flange at the base of the stud keeps it from pulling out of the tire.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I use the "scooter B" Self-Tapping Carbide Tire Studs from Aerostich in Dunlop D606 tires on my KLR. They work great and don't wear down. I have lost some due to falling out though...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe next spring a report on how plowing the north forty with a CT goes? :)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
A word of caution about studs - if you think your going to crash and burn using a car tire wait until you get those studded tires on the pavement. W-e-e-e-e-e-e!

Top Bottom