Four rear flats in 14 months

Two Bridgestone, one Michelin, and one Dunlap
All had 42psi. I have never had a flat tire in the last 200,000 miles. One in Bozeman, Montana one in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, and two in Southern California

Attachments

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I use 2 year off-road SLIME because it has corrosion inhibitors in it. The regular automotive SLIME does not as far as I know and can only be used in a tire for I think 100 miles or 3 days. I have been using off-road SLIME for years. Started out using it in my modified jeep years ago. It works. You can pull out a nail and watch it seal up in seconds.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I did a goog search. One website said, on average, motorists will get 5 flat tires in their lifespan, another said one to two flats per year. The AAA said 20% of drivers have had a flat in the last 5 years. Since these numbers are for cars, and we ride on half the number of wheels, divide all those numbers by 2. :rofl1: Bottom line, like light bulbs and batteries, nobody knows the mtbf (mean time between flats).

I think you need to change your tire kit. Obviously, it is not warding off nails. :biggrin:

Went out on some back wood road roads on my KLR last summer and noticed my back tire was going flat. No way I could tell anyone where I was so I rode it out to the freeway. There I discovered that the front was flat too. How many double flats happen in a lifetime?

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I changed a KLR650 rear tire three times one morning before leaving the motel in Labrador City. Woke up to a flat, changed it and it would not air up. Thought damn, must have pinched the new tube. Break it down again, throw the new “pinched” tube in the trash and install another new tube we had. Same thing, won’t air up, remove tube, and decide to find the hole(s) with the compressor which does not provide AIR. Throw the compressor away, retrieve the good tube in the trash, and re-install the other tube in the tire. Air it up with my buddy’s working compressor, re-install the wheel, take another shower, and we are on our way 45 minutes later.
Travel tip…..check your compressor periodically as I have had three of them fail over the years.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a year like that about 10 years ago. The tire repair kit and compressor always got me home.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Two Bridgestone, one Michelin, and one Dunlap
All had 42psi. I have never had a flat tire in the last 200,000 miles. One in Bozeman, Montana one in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, and two in Southern California
Thats not even a warm up! I had five plugs in my rear on my first tour and finally the sidewall blew because my crappy tire pump wore out.
two tips! Get towing insurance and dont ride on dirty safety lanes.
im in the gang that believes a plug is a safe thing if properly used. Hell, id ride a well rubbered tire with ten plugs!

Get a pump that u can run off your bike battery. The rechargeables dont last.

Maybe the pump and a stash somewhere for a couple of CO2 charges too. The ST has a bunch of rabbit holes for emergency stashes...... for tools and supplies. Not for the border crossing. I have a emergency bag with things like a 1st aid kit, zip ties, tie wire, and a roll of that special tape that bonds to itself, pump and plugger, etc.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Maybe the pump and a stash somewhere for a couple of CO2 charges too. The ST has a bunch of rabbit holes for emergency stashes...... for tools and supplies. Not for the border crossing. I have a emergency bag with things like a 1st aid kit, zip ties, tie wire, and a roll of that special tape that bonds to itself, pump and plugger, etc.
I once bought some bad gas and used a tent pole tube repair tube in place of the fuel filter. It worked perfectly! Made it to napa, where, by the way the gas filters are a hell of a lot cheaper than honda filters.

Top Bottom