From K&N to OEM air filter

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have friends who race and use them on their race vehicles, but won't run them on their personal vehicles. I think that says something. I know when I install an engine I won't warranty any part of it if a K&N is used.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have friends who race and use them on their race vehicles, but won't run them on their personal vehicles. I think that says something. I know when I install an engine I won't warranty any part of it if a K&N is used.
Amen to that :bow1:

Bike
2006 ST1300
LOL...I already own 4 that I don't use...one that came in my Suzuki Intruder when I got it, and three that were on an Arctic Cat snowmobile that got removed. That doesn't count one of our Durangos that had one (that went on ebay) and the many that were in used cars where I worked, that got replaced with OEM style filters. Those also went on ebay.

But if you want to give me one...it will fetch some good money on ebay and I can use it to RIDE! :D

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've got a box of 'em sitting on the shelf as well :rofl1:
What happens most often is when a person comes over for the TB sync and sees the condition of the K&N and mess it left behind, they ask me to remove it, clean everything up and replace it with a stock unit. ;)
Funny thing is, I always hear the same comments...."but some of the folks on the forum swear by 'em"...

Bike
92 ST1100
Not fond of K&N, but my St had one already when i bought it. From what I've seen, use anything for cleaning/re-oiling, and NOT their product, results can benifit. I spray mine down with the PurpleCleaner in a spray bottle. Pressure wash, blow dry with compressor and air dry in sun. Re-spray it with PJ-1 foam filter oil. Being an ole' avvid motocrosser, I have used EVERY foam filter oil on the market. This one works the best, bar none. With a light spraying on filter, it doesn't restrict air flow, leave any kind of reseidue in intake, and traps incoming contaminants well. Using a good filtering spray oil is key to these working correctly. Other than that, I would NEVER buy one myself for a replacement filter.

OP
OP
maximark
Bike
1994 ST1100
Ok. Just changed the filters. When I opened the aibox, I expected huge amount of mess. Actually, it was very clean On the inside! Much less than on the outside of the filter. Now we'll see how it affect the performance. Keep you updated.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Ok. Just changed the filters. When I opened the aibox, I expected huge amount of mess. Actually, it was very clean On the inside! Much less than on the outside of the filter. Now we'll see how it affect the performance. Keep you updated.
When you say it was very clean on the INSIDE, much less on the OUTSIDE of the filter.... You do realize that air goes through the front rubber snorkel and is directed into the inside the air filter, where the filter is supposed to catch all the debris and bugs and stuff, and pass clean air into the airbox assembly, snorkels, throttle bodies etc. If I'm understanding you correctly, and yours is cleaner on the inside and dirty on the outside, thats because the filter may have let all that dirty stuff thats on the outside of your filter through! :eek:4: are you sure the dirt was not inside the filter, and cleaner on the outside of the filter?

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
He has the 1100...standard old-style automotive type air filter. Outside dirty, inside clean. Opposite of ours.

OP
OP
maximark
Bike
1994 ST1100
What I meant is that the air box on the intake (carburetor side) was clean and more dust and stuff outside, before the air gets thru the filter and into the carbs... The way it suppose to be. The K&N was doing its job.
and yes, it's 1100.

Mark

Bike
92 ST1100
:eek: ...I'm pretty sure those are exactly the things you're not supposed to do to an air filter...
Normally, I would definitely agree! Specially if using a cheap copy of K&N. A pressure wash will just remove all the filtering material attached to the screen. Actually have seen it happen. Figured I would get similar results with that type of cleaning, and would be a good excuse to get rid of the K&N and go with stock filter. That was seven yrs. ago, the filter material is holding up fine and the PJ1 filter oil does its particle trapping, stays attached to filter material and leaves no residue on intake area. So, guess as long as material doesn't degrade or 'thin' out and I got a can of PJ1 filter spray oil, I'll leave 'well enough' alone.:wink:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
We don't even approach compressed air to OEM filters, over fear to rip the pores open, changing the filter abillities as well as the air flow/resistance...
Since the K&N already appears a bit coarsely meshed I wouldn't risk open that further with a pressure washer...

Carburetor equipped the ST1100 is a bit complex with its stand-off management (them snorkels serve a purpose), MHO...

But whatever works for you...

OP
OP
maximark
Bike
1994 ST1100
Ok, an update. After 200 miles on OEM air filter and 87 reg. gas. Performance is the same, but the mileage per gallon is much less. Even tough on usual filling about $22-23 now it's $18 but almost twice as often. I'm surprised that mileage went so much down. Well, gonna clean K&N, spray it with PJ1 and back in.

Top Bottom