Front brake caliper removal help needed

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm attempting to remove the front wheel of my 2006....tire time.
The calipers are held to the forks with Torx head bolts. What size Torx tool are the darned things?
TIA

I'm attempting to remove the front wheel of my 2006....tire time.
The calipers are held to the forks with Torx head bolts. What size Torx tool are the darned things?
TIA
Hmmn. The OEM bolts on left side caliper were not Torx but rather allen socket heads... 5 or 6 mm if I recall. The right side caliper should have regular 12 mm bolts. Didn't you delink the SMC on the left side caliper? Is the bracket still there?

Hmmn. The OEM bolts on left side caliper were not Torx but rather allen socket heads... 5 or 6 mm if I recall. The right side caliper should have regular 12 mm bolts. Didn't you delink the SMC on the left side caliper? Is the bracket still there?
Non ABS...should have mentioned that. These appear to be Torx, six point, the only ones on the bike from my memory if they are Torx. 6mm allen is a tad too loose, 7mm won't fit.
I'm trying to avoid stripping the head out.

edit.....Looked up close with a flashlight. The interior walls are six point starburst looking. That's why I'm thinking torx. Interior sides are not flat like allen. Maybe the original owner replaced them? I didn't think about that, the bike just turned 18 k miles and over half the brake pad thickness remains....don't really see a justification for the PO to have ever removed the calipers. New tires were installed by the shop before my brother bought it.

Last edited:
based on your description it would probably be either a T45 or T50, and not likely the OEM bolts. Original owner probably removed the calipers for a tire change and screwed them up. Or, maybe a shop screwed them up while doing the tire change.

Any way you could ride it over to Home Depot or similar and try it for size, or just buy the whole set, you'll need them eventually anyway :biggrin:

based on your description it would probably be either a T45 or T50, and not likely the OEM bolts. Original owner probably removed the calipers for a tire change and screwed them up. Or, maybe a shop screwed them up while doing the tire change.

Any way you could ride it over to Home Depot or similar and try it for size, or just buy the whole set, you'll need them eventually anyway :biggrin:

Sounds like the easy way out!

What you have is typical dealership damage!
They are too lazy to use the correct 6 mm allen socket, so they stick their Torx bit in (that is used on almost every other mfgr's bikes) this works for them, but as you are now finding out, it damages the correct 6 mm allen, making it too loose, and will now strip out etc.
Try and find the best fitting 6 mm bit you have, and dip it in some valve grinding compound, that should get them out for you.
:WCP1:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom