Front brake drag

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
How much drag is normal for the front wheel of a 1300? Replaced the pucks (no didn't use factory ones) with Caltric brand ones, I've used them in the rear with good results. Fit was perfect, but feels like more than stock drag, test ride the calipers are not hot, disk is pretty hot, but not more than normal

I consider aftermarket pads an issue.

I bought EBC pads[1] at the very first pad change, thinking I'll save a bit of ca$h, but I was rwong. I ended up spending MORE ca$h, because after 1,000 miles or so, I swapped the EBC for new Mother Honda pads.

Guess what - all the pad issues disappeared. Have continued to use Honda pads since.

[1] And if I remember correctly, the EBC didn't package the proper pad backings.

Can't speak to about Caltric brand, cause I'd never consider it.

How many free-spin revolutions of the front wheel do you get ?

Good luck !

(I've typed the above so many times to threads like this, I'm now copy-n-pasting it :thumb:)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
How much drag is normal for the front wheel of a 1300? Replaced the pucks (no didn't use factory ones) with Caltric brand ones, I've used them in the rear with good results. Fit was perfect, but feels like more than stock drag, test ride the calipers are not hot, disk is pretty hot, but not more than normal
If your aftermarket pads did the same thing that EBC did, meaning made them the wrong thickness for the front applications, then yes, this is probably the reason your front rotors are pretty hot.
And it will wear your rear set down pretty quickly because the pistons can’t pull away from the rotors enough when not in use because they are too thick.
Your front rotors should be cool to the touch after just a moment or two.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Good description, thanks for posting this.
I find a lot of folks who “clean” their calipers or pistons, never inspect or clean the seal grooves even when “rebuilding” their calipers, and often miss this important inspection.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I consider aftermarket pads an issue.

I bought EBC pads[1] at the very first pad change, thinking I'll save a bit of ca$h, but I was rwong. I ended up spending MORE ca$h, because after 1,000 miles or so, I swapped the EBC for new Mother Honda pads.

Guess what - all the pad issues disappeared. Have continued to use Honda pads since.

[1] And if I remember correctly, the EBC didn't package the proper pad backings.

Can't speak to about Caltric brand, cause I'd never consider it.

How many free-spin revolutions of the front wheel do you get ?

Good luck !

(I've typed the above so many times to threads like this, I'm now copy-n-pasting it :thumb:)
Same experience for me a week ago. Tried 2 sets of different aftermarket brake pads on the front and both of them prevented the pistons to retract properly.
I went back to the Honda pads and the problem disappeared. Aftermarket are too thick and not properly sized when compared side by side with the factory ones.
Lesson learned!

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Update, the pads I got are Caltric brand, I measured the thickness of the friction material at about 4mm, they fit perfectly, shape is spot on, but when first installed dragged a bit. Rode to work (in the rain, first time on the 1300) and home, now not dragging at all, stopping power is great, so I'll see how they last, and value

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Update, the pads I got are Caltric brand, I measured the thickness of the friction material at about 4mm, they fit perfectly, shape is spot on, but when first installed dragged a bit. Rode to work (in the rain, first time on the 1300) and home, now not dragging at all, stopping power is great, so I'll see how they last, and value
It's not only the thickness.
Compared to the Honda's. the notch, the height and the thickness of the metal plate is different. If you try to fit the backplates of the factory one on them they don't fit the same way.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
It's not only the thickness.
Compared to the Honda's. the notch, the height and the thickness of the metal plate is different. If you try to fit the backplates of the factory one on them they don't fit the same way.
These were EXACTLY the same shape, factor back plate snaps right on

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Update, the pads I got are Caltric brand ......
Which Caltric P/N front pads are you using? I looked at their site and the only brake pad listing that they have for the ST1300 is rear brake. I don't see any listing for the front pads.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Before folks start jumping on Amazon and ordering these to save money....
I have removed at least three sets of these off of bikes that had rear brake drag issues.
You pay your dollar, you take your chance.
Once customer ordered four sets of these, before they finally sent a single set that fit, and then it fit poorly at that.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Not knocking the pads at all, but look at the amazon canada price... $32 for the pads and $85 delivery... LOL
And I love the "compatible" with Honda ST1300.
Not made for it, but might work on it :rofl1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
According to Caltric's website, neither P/N MP290 or MP290+MP290 is listed as being compatible front brake pads for an ST1300. P/N MP175 is listed as compatible for the rear. Either the Amazon listing is wrong or Caltric's is, but something is not making sense.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Caltric is doing the same thing as EBC from the looks of it. One size fits all, no backing plate so the pistons don’t always sit square, and no heat guard on the rear set.
They are very noisy and dusty as well.
Money is better spent on OEM pads on these bikes.
My neighbor tried to order some of these for an older Goldwing, and the sent him wrong pads several times, and wanted him to pay shipping to return them.
Beware of a deal too good to be true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom